• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's in a Name?

Mulligan McGee

Birdie Member
There are a lot of discs out there and they all have to be called something. Sometimes these names just don't seem to suit the disc. So my question to this forum is what disc do you feel are improperly name and to what would you change it to?

For example I think the D1 from Prodigy sounds sterile rather than professional. I would change the name to some thing like the Adept to go with the name Prodigy. I would even be happy with just Driver 1 to tell the truth.

in relation to Prodigy - All their discs have the Letter followed by number. This is their way of making it easier for the general public to pick out a disc. 1 being the most stable, the higher the number the less stable it is.

I personally have not found a Prodigy disc that I like but I am for the naming system.

EDIT* We also have to remember that disc companies are here to make money. The cooler the disc name the more newbs that will buy it.

I think the Stilleto should be called the Claymore. That seems to fit the disc better, being a big meathook type driver.

Save the name stilleto for an overstable mid or putter, and use some short sword name for the Claymore.

in relation to Prodigy - All their discs have the Letter followed by number. This is their way of making it easier for the general public to pick out a disc. 1 being the most stable, the higher the number the less stable it is.

I personally have not found a Prodigy disc that I like but I am for the naming system.

im 100% down with the prodigy naming system. so much easier than remembering some stupid mythical creature or animal

im 100% down with the prodigy naming system. so much easier than remembering some stupid mythical creature or animal

I can respect that, but I'm way more interested in the creature/weapon/bird/etc. type naming systems. I remember them a lot easier, and they have a bit more personality. The only benefit I see to the D1/F1/M1 type naming system is that I'll never be pre-disposed to hating a disc that I think has a stupid name.

I can respect that, but I'm way more interested in the creature/weapon/bird/etc. type naming systems. I remember them a lot easier, and they have a bit more personality. The only benefit I see to the D1/F1/M1 type naming system is that I'll never be pre-disposed to hating a disc that I think has a stupid name.

i didnt realize how nerdy we sound until today when i was thinking about all the names of the discs.

yeah d1 sounds much better than archangel

I really like dynamics law/outlaw theme. It's dope.

I also like MVPs and axioms naming.

My two favorites i'd say

I don't mind the Prodigy system but it obviously has it's limitations. It's more easily decoded than the Millennium and Discmania naming systems and doesn't involve ridiculous names like Foxbat, or having a disc named Shark and also one named Mako.

I don't mind the Prodigy system but it obviously has it's limitations. It's more easily decoded than the Millennium and Discmania naming systems and doesn't involve ridiculous names like Foxbat, or having a disc named Shark and also one named Mako.

I think we can agree that Innova takes the cake with the worst disc names. Pretty lame most of the time... And then they win it all with THE DESTROYER!

I like prodigys naming system but they may have screwed themselves with future releases if they plan to release more discs. You have the D,H,F,M,P and X but if there is a need for more understable or a gap to filled they'll need to add discs. Like the H1 should be the X2 in my mind. Right now it seems very solid though.

I like prodigys naming system but they may have screwed themselves with future releases if they plan to release more discs. You have the D,H,F,M,P and X but if there is a need for more understable or a gap to filled they'll need to add discs. Like the H1 should be the X2 in my mind. Right now it seems very solid though.

:confused: huh?

part of using brass balls for product creation is giving it such an absurd name that you remove original meaning of the word and turn it into a proper noun.

there's a highly regarded synthesizer called the Microwave. that's some gold standard ish for product names.

I enjoy making ****ty puns about disc names, but I don't mind any disc name at all. It really cracks me up when people rant about disc names. I really, really like how the prodigy names take away some of the ridiculous bull**** mystique that surrounds disc golf discs. Ooh the newly released X brand disc, I hope it defies physics!

I for one hate Prodigy's naming system. It's generic in its simplicity, but it's also backwards IMO. Why it the larger number LESS stable? And now that they have started with a 1 for their most stable, what if they want to make something more stable? The D0? More stable than that? The D-1!

We may not all like the marketing behind it, but names that differentiate stick out to people, it's just a fact. Innova has laid out some pretty terrible names, like the polecat, that sell because they are great discs regardless, but overall, the creative names are going to sell to the newbs who don't know any better. That's not something an M4 is going to do, even if it's what they should be picking up.

Anyway, end rant on Prodigy. Innova probably has some of the best names with discs like the Destroyer. They've made so many, there have to be some great ones in there, but I also really like MVP's Scientific naming theme. I also like the Alias just because it's a word I've always liked. The Proxy on the other hand, for meaning about the same thing, I wish they would have picked something else.

part of using brass balls for product creation is giving it such an absurd name that you remove original meaning of the word and turn it into a proper noun.

there's a highly regarded synthesizer called the Microwave. that's some gold standard ish for product names.

Do you have a Kleenex or tissue? and is one used to blow your nose vs stuff gift bags?

Latest posts