• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's more important

This question is a bit unsettling to me. I would never want to strive to be a good INT player, if I were just starting out I would try to improve in a way that would make me a good open player. At any rate, since the question was how to be a good INT player, here we go...

Being a good INT player means getting pars. Any bogeys you throw should be offset by a birdie. That being said, you aren't hunting for birds, you are looking to be nice and steady. A 54 will win INT on a moderately challenging course.

Putting from outside the circle is not at a premium here. This usually only comes into play when you are going for birds. Driving 400'+ again is for getting birds out of long holes, unless you are playing 600' holes where INT players are in for some bad scores anyways.

Shaping drives is a good skill to have. The thing is that shooting for pars you really don't need to shape drives that much. On any given hole two straight shots will generally get you to the target without crazy lines. This same rationale goes for being able to throw lots of shots. Who needs crazy rollers or flicks when two straight rhbh shots will get you a putt at par?

Which brings me to my choice, parking upshots from 200' out. If you can park an upshot from 200', that means any hole 400' and in is a par. It also means holes 200' and in are birds. You are shooting for par, this is the way to go.
I agree with this as well. Being competitive in intermediate doesn't really require you to be good, it just requires you to mess up the least. Being accurate within 200' and putting well within 20' is probably enough for you to do well in INT. Most of the people are either rec players who aren't working to get better or people who haven't developed the consistency to compete in advanced. So, all you need is consistency with minimal skills. I also agree it's a pretty low goal to set.

rh/bh (put this there to specify bh or fh, but I put rhbh instead :( )

hyzers

Any throw (righthand backhand) where the disc comes out of the hand at an angle in / direction from flat --- and finishes left without flipping to flat.

Variations:
Overstable disc where it continues to dive farther in it's angle away from flat

Stable disc where it holds the line you put it on, it may drop the angle more as it slows down

hyzer flips and their variations

A disc that is released at the same angle as mentioned above in hyzer

difference: The disc flips up to level ----

Variations:

After the disc flips to level, it can either

-Stay flat until the end
-Stay flat and then finish left
-Stay flat and then finish right (hyzer flipped late turnover)
-Flip over into a turnover and finish right (also can be thrown high and left for a very long turnover/anhyzer)
-Flip over into a turnover and fade at the end, variations of how long it stays in the turnover changes the shape of the S line

flattened hyzers

Also a hyzer release. This is a shot that is almost a hyzer flip. It never quite makes it to flat ---. This allows for more glide, more carry, and a very long and smooth hyzer out and around. This can be touchy because if you flip it over completely it can be disastrous.

spike hyzers

A very extreme hyzer. This shot requires good shoulder planes and follow through. Anytime you throw the hyzer high or at an extreme enough angle to not skip (or have the chance to skip), it is a spike hyzer. The disc should go up and down almost vertically. A very good up and over tool

stalls and elevator shots

Stalls are just anytime you throw a shot "too high" on purpose, so that it stalls and fades or drops. Most useful as an upshot, an understable disc thrown with a little palm down flick (ultimate lid shot) can go out straight and then drop straight down (elevator shot).

Mark Ellis goes over it a little at 7:05 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwqQ21pe4U

turnovers/anhyzers

I'll lump these in with anhyzers. A turnover is anytime a disc is thrown on a hyzer or flat release, and finishes right. An anhyzer is when the disc is thrown on an anhyzer \ release, and still finishes right (without being a roller).

pan shots

These shots require a slightly more stable disc, an overstable disc is often too much. When thrown on an anhyzer release, it goes out like anny should, but it starts fading. It should reach the ground just before or as pans out (hence the name) ---.

sky anhyzers

These are just really high anhyzers. It takes a lot of nose down, and always finishes right. Sky Rollers are essentially the same shot, but it turns over completely and will roll for quite some time once it hits the ground.

rollers (bh,fh,thumber,cut,S)

Pretty self explanatory
bh = thrown with a backhand, either using your body to increase the angle on a stable->overstable disc or flipping over an understable disc to touch down at varying points of the pre-roll flight
fh = forehand
thumber= a forehand roller that will finish the other way because it's thrown with the thumb on the rim instead of the fingers
cut = A roller that rolls in the direction of the bottom of the disc and finishes bottom down. Most discs are top heavy and will want to finish top down, a cut roller is best done with a thin disc (like a flick)

overhands

tomahawk and thumber are both thrown like a baseball (remember to follow through). The grip is the difference, tomahawks are with the standard forehand grip, the thumber grip you put your thumb on the rim. The disc will have the opposite flight pattern for each, and depending on what angle you release or the stability of the disc, it will turn at varying speeds or finish farther left/right.

grenades

Throw a backhand hyzer, now turn the disc upside down and put your thumb on the rim while maintaining the normal backhand type grip. This will make the disc go really high and almost vertical in angle then drop straight down. Good for up and overs.

scoobies

There are quite a few different shot variations for just this one name, but in general it's just a disc that is slid on it's top toward the pin. It can be a short shot that you slide from the release, or a thumber/tomahawk scoobie that hits the ground on it's top and slides toward the pin or under something.

loft, push, spin, pop putts

All variations of putts

loft, thrown high and with spin. Usually just a straight up and down shot with not much variance left and right. Bad in the wind, very minimal blowby

push, less spin, more body momentum. Accurate at close range and not much blowby

spin putt, lots of spin, longest range putting style. Also very streaky. There are many variable in a spin putt, up/down/left/right/power. Most players have some sort of spin putt for longer distances, the blowby can result in putting multiple times at the same basket.

pop putts, very similar to push putts. Uses body momentum and finger spring to minimize any left/right movement and make you worry only about up/down. blowby should be about the same as push putting
Great list. May I sticky it in the technique section?

Being competitive in intermediate doesn't really require you to be good, it just requires you to mess up the least.

very true. and although it is a low goal to set, you have to start somewhere. it's all about perspective. if you are 860 rated, 930 golf sounds pretty good :)

Only if you change scoobies to what it really is...a roller shot. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I saw that. It seems there are two definitions for the Scooby shot. I think we had a discussion on it here a few years ago.

If only there were a way to find old threads. :\

Yeah, I saw that. It seems there are two definitions for the Scooby shot. I think we had a discussion on it here a few years ago.

If only there were a way to find old threads. :\

Or you could listen to Hosfeld, Greenwell, craigg, or No Spin...:

Or you could listen to Hosfeld, Greenwell, craigg, or No Spin...:

Easy tiger. I agree with you. I'm just saying that the term is widely (mis)used when discussing upside down shots that slide.

Don't go getting all Foghorn on me.

caricature%2BTony-the-Tiger.jpeg

Great list. May I sticky it in the technique section?

Yes you may. And i do believe i said right in the description that the scooby is a name for many shots. You can link that first video under scooby and my description as a "slider" or whatever name you know of for those.

@ MNclone's comment....

Really?!?!....a 54 places in am 2 there?
Not tryin to be whatever, just truely surprised.

From what I've seen around here, our rec division shoots slightly under.

....Just saw garu's post....

I thougt ia and minute had strong scenes. Is it that there are no novice offererings or are the courses really that much tougher???
I'm not talking pitch and putt courses, I'm talking leading 90's courses or newer courses here...

....Just saw garu's post....

I thougt ia and minute had strong scenes. Is it that there are no novice offererings or are the courses really that much tougher???
I'm not talking pitch and putt courses, I'm talking leading 90's courses or newer courses here...

Harder courses ;)

putting practice

my personal opinion is developing consistent putting game inside the circle.

from the list, i'd say being able to park approaches from 200'+

This question is a bit unsettling to me. I would never want to strive to be a good INT player, if I were just starting out I would try to improve in a way that would make me a good open player. At any rate, since the question was how to be a good INT player, here we go...

You gotta start somewhere. Getting from Rec to Int is one step, there's a lot more to get to Open. It doesn't happen overnight and it bugs me when I see people making light of others on the journey.

First, I saw one comment about how you shouldn't aspire to be a good intermediate player and should focus on becoming an open player. I disagree with this comment. Different people play the game for different reasons. You know why you play disc golf and what you hope to get out of it better than anyone else on this planet. If, for example, you chose to become a good intermediate player and have fun in that division for your entire career, then I'd give you kudos for enjoying your game of disc golf and not worrying about other people's business.

Second, strategy is the most important aspect of competing at the intermediate level. Here are a few bullet points:

- Have fun!!! Enjoy being on the course and look for the best in your fellow competitors.

- Minimize the number and type of discs that you carry in your tournament bag. "Throw what you know".

- Be prepared for tournaments. Know the layouts and rules. Get adequate sleep. (doesn't include being passed out drunk on a lumpy old couch.) Bring extra shoes, socks, shirts, snacks, umbrella, etc.

- Play your own game. Don't worry about what your competitors are shooting. Keep your own score on a separate card to use for personal verification post-round.

- Carry a rule book and be familiar with it. Note that I don't say: "know the rules". Many players in all divisions have misconceptions about the rules. Don't let someone else's ignorance cost you strokes. Be well-versed in the use of a provisional disc.

- Know you're "go range" for putts. Know when to lay-up, when to lag, and when to run. Scott Stokely had a good section on this in one of his videos that you might check out.

- Practice lots and lots of putts from within the circle. Approach each putt as if putting yourself in a tournament situation. Go through your complete pre-shot routine for each putt during practice sessions. It's more about creating a strong, repeatable pre-shot routine than muscle memory.

- Don't throw shots on the course that you haven't practiced, unless really necessary and the risk/reward has been considered. Again, "throw what you know".

- Strategize on the tee box, considering risk/reward. For example, I can throw about 380 ft. on a good, smooth pull. If I walk up to a 425 ft. hole that has moderate trees and an OB pond, I could throw a roller, go for a perfect 380 air shot to leave a 45 ft putt, or throw a controlled 350 ft air shot to leave an easy lay-up for 3 and will consider all my options.

- Never Tin Cup. Take your licks and move on. Absolutely strategize to avoid big numbers. Sometimes big numbers will happen on there own, but don't create them with poor decisions.

. . . off my soapbox

Last edited:
I don't think it's that shooting for intermediary goals is necessarily a bad thing, it's that (and it's not the OP's fault that he didn't know this) the best strategy for doing well in INT doesn't involve getting very good at anything. It involves getting consistent at a couple easy things and then playing conservatively. Striving for that seems like you're selling yourself short.

I think the reason it's like that is because INT is filled with people trying to play like advanced players who haven't gained a lot of consistency yet. They aren't trying to put together a really good intermediate round, they're trying to put together an advanced level round. If you don't have the consistency to pull that off you end up with an OK to bad intermediate level round which leaves room for the safe players to win.

theres a lot of variables here.

right now i'd say parking your upshots is most crucial so you can get to your comfort zone around the pin.

but, practice all the shots now, and you'll be successful with all these different throws in the future. when i started discin years ago i threw everything, bh, fh, overhands. its definitely shaped my game now..

I agree with garublador consistency is the big difference between rec an int, that is both consistency from the tee as well as every other shot. It is helpful to have a wide range of shots, and be able to drive 400 but it is better to be more consistent. I (a rec player) can sort of keep up with my buddy who drives 400 + because I am fairly accurate with my up shots.

To be good in MA2

You should be able to get up and down from 150' (in the basket in two throw)

Minimal "grip lock" worm-burners and shanks

Know when to just pitch out into the fairway rather than fight your way thru the schule

No 3-putting.

I play MA1 now and my mindset hasn't changed much from MA2. Only take birdies when they are given, don't try to run at long putts or hit crazy gaps. Play the hole for a 3 and go ahead and toss it in, if and when you are close enuff.

Another thing I think helps me is: giving yourself a few holes at the start of the round to get comfy. Play them ultra conservative just to set a nice pace. Nothing worse than starting with bad holes and feeling like you are trying to play catch-up the rest of the round.

and most of all, in MA2 it is never over. A good round can take you from DFL to almost the top of the pack.