• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's more important

I have played disc golf in many places and with many people from other places, and I have found the crew that plays Sundogs in MN to be an above average but still good representation of skill levels. Our top pro (Cale Leiviska) usually but not always takes open and it is always competitive. Based on the standings for INT in the Sundog league par would win on any course of moderate difficulty. If your INT players are scoring better, I would venture you play weenie courses or your players like to bag.

To my statement that you shouldn't aim to be a good INT player, I stick by it. As I said, the biggest thing for being a good INT player is having a consistent mid game and avoid screwing up at all costs. Once you get to be an open player the mid game goes out the window. Every hole 400' and under is a bird candidate and you are gunning for it every time. At this stage it is all about driving and putting (way more putting). If you take a bunch of time developing killer mid range game, once you get to a higher level you have basically wasted a lot of development time getting better at a skill you will rarely need again.

I couldn't disagree more. Maybe your mid game goes from 300' to 350', but to think all big time pros throw nothing but drivers and putters is hilarious. I'm sure if MJ was reading this, that he would laugh and tell you the value of his comet.

I couldn't disagree more. Maybe your mid game goes from 300' to 350', but to think all big time pros throw nothing but drivers and putters is hilarious. I'm sure if MJ was reading this, that he would laugh and tell you the value of his comet.

Who said you have to drive with a driver? I drive predominantly with my Ion. If you need a 350' mid game you must be a terrible driver.

Most important thing is being able to place your shot where you want it. 450' of distance doesn't help you any if you're OB or miss the mando.

I agree with this 100%. I used to know a guy that could shoot 400ft, but he couldn't control it. I would beat him on a hole, throwing under 300ft, because I could control my shots.

I don't have a big arm, thanks to an injury, so I have developed my short game. I can get it out 300ft on a good day, but I can get the disc almost any where I want on short, and approach shots. Placement is the name of the game.

I think the hardest thing to learn, is using your shots , to make the disc go just about anywhere you want, and not just throw and hope.

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like I need to stop worrying about max D and focus more on putting and parking approaches.

As for my aspirations - I've seen this forum flame a new player for wanting a plan to go pro. Now I'm getting told my sights are too low?? I've only been playing for 6 months - I thought aiming for intermediate was enough for now.

Again thanks for all the help. Keep it coming - especially any pointers/links to videos or descriptions off how to throw all of the different shots CwAlbino listed.

Consistency is the main goal for am2 and most divisions, it usually comes down to a couple blowup holes that push u out the cash in am2. I believe u should be able to do everything pretty well. Get decent distance (300-350ft), good midrange/upshot game and make 6/10 putts in the circle. U may not win all the time but should be in the cash. Just stay away from the triple bogeys. My opinion.

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like I need to stop worrying about max D and focus more on putting and parking approaches.

As for my aspirations - I've seen this forum flame a new player for wanting a plan to go pro. Now I'm getting told my sights are too low?? I've only been playing for 6 months - I thought aiming for intermediate was enough for now.

Again thanks for all the help. Keep it coming - especially any pointers/links to videos or descriptions off how to throw all of the different shots CwAlbino listed.
I think that being competitive in INT is part of a good intermediate goal, but if all you're worried about is doing well in INT then you'll probably end up on focusing on some of the wrong things.

IMO, early on you're better off at focusing on building skills and technique. Once you get the technique and skills required to perform the really great shots then it's all about performing those consistently. If all you focus on is scoring and being the best INT player you can be there's a good chance you'll end up stuck as a good INT player because while you have the consistency down, you might not have the skills required to be competitive in ADV.

This article talks a bit about the exact thing I'd rather not see happen to someone who focuses too strongly on scoring early on in their career:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/measureskills.shtml