• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whats Next For Blizzards?

You obviously haven't thrown MVP discs if you believe they are only marketing hype. So not sure what experience you could possibly be speaking from?

Owned about a dozen.

No big deal. Cool looking but not any advantage over a regular disc of equal speed or flight characteristic.

Very much marketing, Blizzard as well but a Blizzard lightweight you can actually tell a performance increase.

...and I am very much a fool at times. I usually learn a lot at those times however what I am learning here is nothing.

Just a lot of going over what already is known.

Later.

Owned about a dozen.

No big deal. Cool looking but not any advantage over a regular disc of equal speed or flight characteristic.

Owned does not equal thrown. It's very hard to find premium plastic discs with the glide that MVP provides. The Ion's glide is ridiculous compared to other putters in premium plastic.

Threw the f uck out of the ION (putter, sometimes drove it) for what, a year every weekend. Used them (five or six in both soft, light and max) gave them as gifts, watch my friends use them. Vectors, threw them, nahh.

My short game improved, nah, not really. I was improving because I was playing.

The rubber rimmed thing isn't my deal.

I'm just not afraid to say that an ION is really better than say a classic roc or my bb aviar. You could argue the minutea, I won't. I am not such a technical "into tech" player enough to care. Not enough molds, not enough weight choices. I bought them in the first place because I thought it would be a better putter than my Aviar, nope. BB Aviar is much much better for me.

Wide rimmed discs like my Wraith, Boss or Archon over a Vector any day, for me. My mid game is a Banshee and or a Leopard.

What I do makes no difference, critique my choices, matters not.

I don't think that MVP discs as it stands will replace any Innova disc that I know.

...and this is not about Innova is better than MVP.

For me, it's about marketing, I don't see a big performance leap with GYRO or Blizzard for what was and is already out there. The bubble discs are readily available and I like them because I have more choices for lightweight drivers (and they float)

...and it is really secondary who throws discs I like re: choices.

I bought a Wizard and Warlock because of Locastro. I already have discs that "handle" like they do so I am giving them away to someone here that I don't know that wrote something cool.

I liked Glong story, I enjoy reading about disc golf, especially cool stories like that one where people do amazing things. I don't know Smuffin but humor is good.

I think GYRO is marketing hype, nothing new there, just a better rubber rimmed discs than what others have done before.

Hit the ignore button and you won't see my posts ever again, there is good advice for you.

The people I respect and enjoy following are of a different calibre than what I read here, not better, different.

In my book, it's ok to not like something but the thing of it is, the ION is a good disc, just not my choice anymore because other discs do what it does.

I like my 147g DX Wraith better than my light Blizzard Wraith but I have more time with it and maybe that will change.

blah blah blah

Hit the ignore button.

"Ill agree that they keep their stability in ideal conditions but as I found out two days ago you add some fierce wind into that equation and all that goes out the window. Myself and two other guys who max out around 480' could not keep them from flipping, getting bounced around and flat out destroyed in the wind. Im not going to say that Blizzard isnt a good technology its just one that that has to be used at the right times. "

I'm curious to know which mold(s) and weight(s) you were using, and how windy it was.

I have tried the Blizzard Boss (138), and Destroyer (132) in both headwinds and tailwinds, and they reacted exactly as I would expect a 158 Champ Boss, and a 152 Champ Destroyer would act. Actually, the Boss was more overstable than I expected, even into the wind. I'm not talking crazy wind though.....only about 10-15 miles per hour.

We've had some really crazy winds lately. Like 40-50 miles an hour. I took a CFR Glow Champ Xcaliber out in that and it was super flippy. Just kept turning, and never came back. Nothing is going to handle that kind of wind with any consistency.

One other thing I've noticed about the Blizzard discs....more bubbles in the flight plate = more overstable.

We were throwing 150g Destroyers and 156g Boss's and these things could not handle the wind at all.

I'm loving my new Boss and Wraith Blizzards, I have changed nothing and added 30-40 feet to my drive. It kinda feels like cheating.

In the future, are they gonna convert any other Disc models over to Blizzards or just really high speed Discs? Would it really be worth it?

I throw a Sidewinder when I want throw a sidearm for distance, would I have as much success with a Blizzard Sidewinder as I have with the Wraith and Boss?

What other Discs would you guys want to see in Blizzard plastic?

Try a 150g Star Sidewinder.

I threw them forearm all the time, they go far and clean up your form. I have a Star Archon in low 160's that works well for me FH.

I suggest learning backhand as your primary drive and keeping your sidearm as long accurate. You have right and left covered.

You can find most Innova discs pretty light. Leopard, Banshee, Wraith, Boss and Aviars too and lots more. Light weight premium plastic discs are already out there.

Bubbles just brought this to light but the bubble discs are pretty tough, a lot tougher than DX choices.

Try going lightweight with putters at near max weight. For a driving putter try a 150g Star Aviar. If you are a "noodle arm" or what ever, I would say just being older or just not the G~d of throwing, lightening up your quiver is going to have the effect of increasing distance and bettering your form which helps you throw farther.

As far as other discs in Blizzard plastic?

Uhh, hmm. Maybe hmmm.

I have all the disc choices I need right now, don't need any more.

Good post/question by the way.

Threw the f uck out of the ION (putter, sometimes drove it) for what, a year every weekend. Used them (five or six in both soft, light and max) gave them as gifts, watch my friends use them. Vectors, threw them, nahh.

My short game improved, nah, not really. I was improving because I was playing.

The rubber rimmed thing isn't my deal.

I'm just not afraid to say that an ION is really better than say a classic roc or my bb aviar. You could argue the minutea, I won't. I am not such a technical "into tech" player enough to care. Not enough molds, not enough weight choices. I bought them in the first place because I thought it would be a better putter than my Aviar, nope. BB Aviar is much much better for me.

Wide rimmed discs like my Wraith, Boss or Archon over a Vector any day, for me. My mid game is a Banshee and or a Leopard.

What I do makes no difference, critique my choices, matters not.

I don't think that MVP discs as it stands will replace any Innova disc that I know.

...and this is not about Innova is better than MVP.

For me, it's about marketing, I don't see a big performance leap with GYRO or Blizzard for what was and is already out there. The bubble discs are readily available and I like them because I have more choices for lightweight drivers (and they float)

...and it is really secondary who throws discs I like re: choices.

I bought a Wizard and Warlock because of Locastro. I already have discs that "handle" like they do so I am giving them away to someone here that I don't know that wrote something cool.

I liked Glong story, I enjoy reading about disc golf, especially cool stories like that one where people do amazing things. I don't know Smuffin but humor is good.

I think GYRO is marketing hype, nothing new there, just a better rubber rimmed discs than what others have done before.

Hit the ignore button and you won't see my posts ever again, there is good advice for you.

The people I respect and enjoy following are of a different calibre than what I read here, not better, different.

In my book, it's ok to not like something but the thing of it is, the ION is a good disc, just not my choice anymore because other discs do what it does.

I like my 147g DX Wraith better than my light Blizzard Wraith but I have more time with it and maybe that will change.

blah blah blah

Hit the ignore button.

It's not a matter of liking a disc more than another, it's simply that MVP's tech is not hype, it actually works.
Yes, not every disc is for everyone, but you can't say that Gyro doesnt work..

It's not a matter of liking a disc more than another, it's simply that MVP's tech is not hype, it actually works.
Yes, not every disc is for everyone, but you can't say that Gyro doesnt work..

Correct, absolutely, I agree.

It does work, now we are getting somewhere.

It doesn't work much more different than a normal disc. It isn't this big blazing performance gain, it works indeed, it isn't a huge difference for me.

Blizzard discs are not a huge difference either, I was already throwing light.

I think the problem here is that there are some that think I think I am a pro and they could not be farther from the truth.

I play every weekend, I'm really into it but GYRO tech does nothing for my game, zero. Other discs work for me much better.

I'm like most people that disc golf, average schmo wanting to get better, playing hard having fun but GYRO marketing don't do it for me.

Thank you for stating that.

booter; read some of the stories said:
This is fact,not opinion. I have a 150 F2 Wraith that I throw at about 65% power and it blows past my 90% 171 Star Wraith. These discs are innovation that also happen to be great marketing tools. Making it easier for lesser power players to bomb drives attracts people to the sport. Why complain about something that doesn't effect you. If you don't think it'll help your game don't throw it. I'll just be bombing drives and sinking putts with my innovative discs.

Correct, absolutely, I agree.

It does work, now we are getting somewhere.

It doesn't work much more different than a normal disc. It isn't this big blazing performance gain, it works indeed, it isn't a huge difference for me.

Blizzard discs are not a huge difference either, I was already throwing light.

I think the problem here is that there are some that think I think I am a pro and they could not be farther from the truth.

I play every weekend, I'm really into it but GYRO tech does nothing for my game, zero. Other discs work for me much better.

I'm like most people that disc golf, average schmo wanting to get better, playing hard having fun but GYRO marketing don't do it for me.

Thank you for stating that.

Earlier you were talking about GLong's story being the exception to the rule. The thing is, you are saying that because MVP discs didn't work for you, they are just marketing. I realize some discs don't work for some people. BUT, just because they don't work for you is no reason to mark them off as hype. If you interviewed all the people who have thrown (really thrown, as I have and you have) MVP plastic, you and the other people who saw no difference would be a tiny minority. The vast number of people who have thrown MVP have seen a remarkable difference.

What I'm saying is, here, you are the exception, not the rule.

See, if you have just said that MVP didn't work for you, I'd say cool, if you get better scores with other stuff then go for it. It was because from your sole experience you concluded that MVP was all marketing hype that I got a little ticked. :)

Hangwind types weird but he's actually a pretty cool guy.

#dgcrtruths.

*fires up Ye Olde Hangwind Translator*

:)

See, if you have just said that MVP didn't work for you, I'd say cool, if you get better scores with other stuff then go for it. It was because from your sole experience you concluded that MVP was all marketing hype that I got a little ticked. :)

I like a Glock, some like Ruger, I like Porsche, others like Ferrari.

I can appreciate your "getting a little ticked" because it means that you are at least reading what I'm writing.

What does not work for some is that they can't handle people having an opinion.

All of this is just that, an opinion.

ION's and Blizzard "tech" to me is a marketing ploy to sell discs.

That would be my opinion and nothing more. I gave my reasons why and I find no harm or foul on calling me on my opinion.

I wish MVP gets bigger and bigger and helps drive forward, disc golf.

I hope more people try Blizzard discs.

I liked Glong story, I enjoy reading about disc golf, especially cool stories like that one where people do amazing things.

i guess i'm glad you thought it was 'cool' but i typed all of that to make a point.

i wouldn't really consider it amazing. it was the right shot for the situation, well-executed. if you are faced with a more-or-less wide open shot with a strong headwind and accuracy is less important than max D in that situation, throwing a lighter, understable disc on a high turnover shot is the best way to deal with the wind. if there are obstacles or challenging OB or a fairway of some kind to hit, then no. but if you are simply trying to minimize the effects of wind, that is the shot to play. 'fighting' the wind should only be done when absolutely necessary. otherwise, learn how to ride it.

i guess i'm glad you thought it was 'cool' but i typed all of that to make a point.

i wouldn't really consider it amazing. it was the right shot for the situation, well-executed. if you are faced with a more-or-less wide open shot with a strong headwind and accuracy is less important than max D in that situation, throwing a lighter, understable disc on a high turnover shot is the best way to deal with the wind. if there are obstacles or challenging OB or a fairway of some kind to hit, then no. but if you are simply trying to minimize the effects of wind, that is the shot to play. 'fighting' the wind should only be done when absolutely necessary. otherwise, learn how to ride it.

Ahh, I believe I am about to learn something.

...and like you, making a point is sometimes necessary.

I think your story is interesting but I DO NOT believe low disc golf scores are made by throwing light understable discs into a headwind.

I think that is a bad choice for me to follow your advice.

I do like what you said "right shot for the situation, well executed" is something we should all do all the time however the way things work for life (in general terms), we start out with guidelines and rules. As we gain experience and become exceptional, we can make exceptions to rules as we start defining exceptional performance.

Professional disc golf players are exceptional to the general populace of the sport.

I believe my "general rule" of choosing a heavier (stable) disc for maximum distance when faced with a headwind is good advice that will work most of the time with most players of most skill levels.

if you are faced with a more-or-less wide open shot with a strong headwind and accuracy is less important than max D in that situation, throwing a lighter, understable disc on a high turnover shot is the best way to deal with the wind.

When I become exceptional, I may try what you propose.

A few people here gave me great advice when I was learning the fundamentals of discing. At 51 (and approaching par) I want to return some of what I learned to "pay back" what I took from the advice that I was offered. If I think something is wrong, I'll argue my point to learn something, I don't f uck with people, that would be a loss by default.

If I have it all wrong, please feel free to straighten me out, I'm always trying to learn something until I get to the point that I feel like I am wasting time.

I'm not to that point yet.

Latest posts