• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the best driver to throw to practice accuracy?

Hawk99TA

Is there a certain Driver I could throw to test my accuracy...something that will enable me to tweak some things in my form as to improve driving accuracy? I guess what I'm asking for is a very reliable and predictable disc for this cause. I seem to throw my Teebird pretty straight and reliably but it's only a fairway driver. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Here are my drivers:

170g Beast DX (very old)
172g and 175g Sidewinder Champs
168g Wraith Star
150g Valkyrie Star
172g Teebird Champ

get some dx teebirds or just throw your mids.

the best disc to practice accuracy is your putter.

what exactly are you trying to practice? any disc can be thrown 'accurately'. how are you 'not accurate' right now?

I'm really looking for a disc that could be predictable enough that it would be somewhat easy to see, based on the discs flight, what I need to change in my form or throw. Is this even possible? For example: "I threw this disc" +" it did this" = "I could work on this". I know all discs have different attributes, but if I try learning with a basic straight flying and predictable disc...I can get a better form then build from there...to being more accurate with drivers. Am I making sense? Thanks all.

Depending on how far you're throwing, a workable mid like a cheetah, cyclone or gazelle is a good disc to work on form. They're fast enough to show some nose angle issues, but slow enough to be controllable and not mask too much oat or other form flaws. Pair that with a lot of mid and putter throwing and you'll figure out what you're doing wrong pretty quickly.

Get a Comet or Stingray. :)

When practicing my footwork I use half a dozen r pro aviars and throw back n forth between two baskets that are roughly 200 feet apart. Any mistep, planting my foot a few inches left or right, shows up dramatically when throwing putter long distance.
Regardless of what you're trying to work on though I think its important to use multiple discs of the same make and weight, any variables you can eliminate will give you more consistent results :)

Wow. Great info guys. I HAVE heard that you should start out learning to throw putters and mids to improve your game. I will try all of these tips. Thanks.

Violets Caddy: What grip would you use when trying to throw a putter 200ft? What type of footwork are you using?
Mashnut: Great, Thanks.

surprised no one has recommended the comet yet. or just get an ultimate disc. learn how to throw one of those 150' and everything else starts to seem a lot easier.

Wow. Great info guys. I HAVE heard that you should start out learning to throw putters and mids to improve your game. I will try all of these tips. Thanks.

Violets Caddy: What grip would you use when trying to throw a putter 200ft? What type of footwork are you using?
Mashnut: Great, Thanks.

No problem, hope it helps.

Not VC, but when you're throwing putters don't think of them as putters. They're just slower, straighter drivers. When many of the putter molds came out, they were the fastest discs on the market and what people threw for distance. Find a grip that's comfortable, some version of a power grip or fork grip will probably be best. Start by throwing from a standstill until you're getting 150'+ on controlled lines with your putter then slowly add one step at a time (don't add anything more until you're really consistent at each step). Putters have the potential to go a really long way, I can throw wizards 300', and there are a couple people on here (MikeC and katchz) who have videos posted throwing them a lot further.

^ exactly
I use a power grip, only weaker. Same footwork I would use if I was throwing a driver from the pad, only minus the violence.
Basically It's a toned down version of my tee off. Slower, more controlled, designed to work on my muscle memory. That way when I'm on the pad trying to throw my nuke over lake Michigan my body knows exactly what to do, I just have to add the violence back into it.

x-comet for midrange, and a pro-leopard for driver. Both reveal stuff like oat pretty easily.

Or just use your putters, as long as they are not too stable. A aviar is too stable IMO, you need somthing like a pure or another putter compareble in stability to where the comet is for midranges.

I like to throw a buzz or pro-d challenger for control. I cannot seem for the life of me to throw a comet. I like a squall as well, now that disc can fly for a midrange, stalker is good to, but requires more power and has more stability that a buzzz.

I learned a ton by throwing nothing but a star skeeter for a while. Really helped me learn to shape my shots better.

Latest posts