• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your 2 shot distance?

sooo...when I asked this question, I'm thinking strategy for improving my outcome. Playing smarter. Playing within my skill set rather than swinging for the fences hoping for a great shot.

As far as game improvement, this part of the approach (and scramble) game is crucial. My philosophy, especially earlier in my development, was to aim for the ground by the basket from anywhere outside 45' or so, as opposed to running the basket. You want to improve your putting so you can be confident in 20' come back putts, but it's much nicer to have 10' drop ins for birdie or par in competitive rounds.

As far as getting up and down from any lie and around various obstacles, one of the biggest things is learning your discs on as many different lines as possible. When I am 150' from a hole, I have what feels like a gazillion options, from overhands, forehands, backhands, etc. that can hit all kinds of lines, high or low. I'm more comfortable with some discs and some shots, of course, but getting all those shots is crucial to have the confidence to get up and down from anywhere or handle tough lies, footing, etc.

Someone mentioned you already bomb forehands? If so, nice. Make sure to work on touch forehands with everything from a Teebird to Buzzz to Polecat. Forehand approaches are awesome, and having the ability to use a non-meathook disc (i.e. NOT a Zone or Harp or Firebird for every forehand approach) gives you the ability to hit more lines.

One tip in more obstructed or wooded holes is to aim for the largest FIRST gap. (Don't overthink it beyond that and then mess up your throw by hitting the first tree, branch, etc.) But pick a disc and throw type that hit the line you think has the best chance after that first gap.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice lol. Hope it helps someone.

Good question. I can only estimate based on some upshot practice where the goal is parking it, and I'd conservatively estimate I'm definitely not 90% down in two from further than 75 feet, and definitely 90% down in two from 50 feet, so somewhere between those. Those number decrease on the course, of course.

Good question. I can only estimate based on some upshot practice where the goal is parking it, and I'd conservatively estimate I'm definitely not 90% down in two from further than 75 feet, and definitely 90% down in two from 50 feet, so somewhere between those. Those number decrease on the course, of course.

You are probably more realistic than I am.

Strategy is what you do on the couch IMO. You want to have a plan before you get to the tee box.

I struggled with the same strategic thinking when I played ball golf. I was younger, much more athletic and flexible. I always thought in best case scenario rather than realistic and strategic.

When people are saying they're automatic from 250'+ is that the sort of automatic where in a tournament when you don't land near the pin on one of those types of shots you get all upset and then card 3 bogeys in a row?

I wouldn't say there's any range I'm automatic yet, but I'm still a low MA3 level player. Sure inside about 100' or so I usually expect no matter what my lie looks like that I've got one more up shot and then a putt in. But sometimes that upshot goes too deep and I'm left with a 35-40' comeback putt and those aren't automatic. Or sometimes I don't make the gap and need a second upshot.

I would say the holes I birdie most frequently are the ones that are in the 225-275' mid-range area. 250' is really my sweet spot with a mid so if it's a bit shorter than take a pinch off, expecting to be a touch long. If its a bit longer add a touch more power and expect to be a hair short.

When people are saying they're automatic from 250'+ is that the sort of automatic where in a tournament when you don't land near the pin on one of those types of shots you get all upset and then card 3 bogeys in a row?

Good posts--I tried to frame the question/subject, but there's been a lot of good feedback highlighting that nothing is ever as simple as I tried to make it.

If I walk up to something between about 175' - 250' that has room to aim right and let fade to the basket, I expect to get up and down. I'm pretty confident from about 125' in as well, but I've got that gap in the middle where I'm less confident.

Also, one thing that has helped me on shorter shots is to throw a faster disc a little lower and let it skip up to the basket. For instance, if I'm throwing 100 feet to a basket under a tree, I'm throwing a Roc. Less worries about getting knocked down by limbs, less chance of airmailing the basket by 30 feet.

He prefaced that by saying in a flat field with no obstacles...

And I think he has posted videos here of him BOMBING forehands longer then 99% of discers even thought was possible.

For the record, I'm probably between 300-325, and my rating has hovered around 900 for my entire 3 year career. Open field hyzers are easy.

The hole I use to compare this type of shot is #3 at fountain hills. I think this year they added a mando, but previous years it did not. It is a 300' straight shot to the basket. Out of the entire open field in 2018, 76% got into C1 and 65% hit their birdie. So at 300', the open field at a DGPT event are NOT automatic up and down.

I would say open field hyzers are not as easy as you say.

I'd say 200-220' I should be 9/10... 250' more like 7/10 optimistically.. Often when I practice I have three discs so 2/3 ain't bad.

The trick to my game is a straight to soft hyzer fade and drop, or a soft hyzer arc right at pin distance. A gentle sweep across that will park fairly close with good odds of hitting... kind of an Envy flight haha and Supreme confidence at 20'... :) if I go past I'm banging that putt.

Happyish at 25-26' and weirdly shaky at 30'-40.. But then better than I expect (4/10) at 45' -80'. So I expect to get any hole at 250'. Reality is with trees etc I should get -10 for 27 here (3 holes are unreachable but many in the 250' range).. I've carded -15 or 16 before, a while back.

Relay, Comet, Envy.. And the Ohm lately.. Why? Because the are a solid set of woods carving plastic.

The hole I use to compare this type of shot is #3 at fountain hills. I think this year they added a mando, but previous years it did not. It is a 300' straight shot to the basket. Out of the entire open field in 2018, 76% got into C1 and 65% hit their birdie. So at 300', the open field at a DGPT event are NOT automatic up and down.

I would say open field hyzers are not as easy as you say.

That's an elevated basket. And it's surrounded by OB, which could add a level of complexity to the shot, and could also change the shot type you choose. I have no idea if it was windy at that event.

Change it to a wide open 300 foot hole with a normal basket and no OB, I bet you see the scores change.

I'm a 47-year-old am masters guy rated around 900 now (probably would be exactly 900 if not for one O.B. throw that led to a six!). In my practice field I have a basket on flat ground at 200' before a large berm goes up behind it. I'll take a stack of driving putters and be up and down on that basket with tap-ins of 20' and under probably 75% of the time, and out of a dozen I'll throw one or two so badly they're outside of c2. I make about 60% of my 30-footers on a good day. My short game is my relative strength.

I'll reliably throw my mids 30' past the basket in similar fashion and efficacy that land in the middle of that upslope berm.

My drivers, unfortunately, aren't as reliable and not much longer than that. When I'm not working 50-60 hours I plan to address this and hopefully be better. Maybe a year from now I'll see palpable improvement. I hope.

20-25 years ago I'd just throw a bomb forehand and be under the pin at 300' with a speed 6 Whippet or something. That ain't happening anymore. I can get my 165 Pro Valk with a forehand to a reliable 250' but I'd better not throw too many in one day or I'll pay the price with some elbow soreness. I save them for when I really need them.

All the good stuff happens 250' on in for me. That's why I took 6th place out of 9 in my first sanctioned event in 14 years a couple of weekends ago despite only missing one putt inside 30' all day when everybody else missed many. They were parking 300' holes with ease.

That's an elevated basket. And it's surrounded by OB, which could add a level of complexity to the shot, and could also change the shot type you choose. I have no idea if it was windy at that event.

Change it to a wide open 300 foot hole with a normal basket and no OB, I bet you see the scores change.

I gave you the C1 %, so the elevated basket doesn't matter. I also don't know how the OB changes anything. If nothing else people had to play straight for C1 even more intently as bailing out or going long was OB. I don't know how you could ask for a better case study for a 300' wide open shot. I even selected a favorable year. This year was 76% C1, but otherwise it looks like the C1 rate is usually lower than 70%.

Where you would probably see scores change is when people aren't under pressure to perform at a major tournament. Unfortunately we don't have data for that. I will say this, if you compare a DGPT open player during a DGPT event, I bet they shoot better than most DGCR players playing a casual round. As such I am willing to bet that for the vast majority of people, their 90% up and down range is significantly shorter than a wide open 300 foot hole with a normal basket and no OB

I gave you the C1 %, so the elevated basket doesn't matter. I also don't know how the OB changes anything. If nothing else people had to play straight for C1 even more intently as bailing out or going long was OB. I don't know how you could ask for a better case study for a 300' wide open shot. I even selected a favorable year. This year was 76% C1, but otherwise it looks like the C1 rate is usually lower than 70%.

Where you would probably see scores change is when people aren't under pressure to perform at a major tournament. Unfortunately we don't have data for that. I will say this, if you compare a DGPT open player during a DGPT event, I bet they shoot better than most DGCR players playing a casual round. As such I am willing to bet that for the vast majority of people, their 90% up and down range is significantly shorter than a wide open 300 foot hole with a normal basket and no OB

Is any part of the circle on that hole OB? From what I remember, it is at least close.

OB definitely changes things. Are you going to throw a shot that carries OB the whole way, or are you going to throw the shot that at least gives you a par putt if you end up OB?

Also, and more importantly, those stats are absolutely not from "tour caliber players" or whatever wording you used. Like 60% of the field was rated under 1000.

Is any part of the circle on that hole OB? From what I remember, it is at least close.

OB definitely changes things. Are you going to throw a shot that carries OB the whole way, or are you going to throw the shot that at least gives you a par putt if you end up OB?

Also, and more importantly, those stats are absolutely not from "tour caliber players" or whatever wording you used. Like 60% of the field was rated under 1000.

You are really digging in hard on this one. Regardless of how you want to parse it, your notion that a 300'. hyzer in a field is easy to get nine out of 10 inside the circle is ridiculous. If you personally find it easy, good for you. You should tour. The rest of us shouldn't feel bad because you overachieve.

I am still very new to the sport--I've only played 2 courses total--one several rounds, the other twice. Fortunately, the one I play most is very diverse (Z-Boaz for those in DFW area). A few long open holes, big elevation changes, and some gnarly wooded holes with no true "line". Of course there are lines, but it's really difficult to visualize a 200' line that has to bend around a dozen trees in a specific manner. OTO, it also has a handful of long holes that are fairly open. Far beyond my range. I frequently find myself between 50' and 150' out depending on the hole. Playing skins the other day, I was ~60' out...I threw for the pin and ended up rolling away 30' out. 3 throws from the upshot. Allowed someone to tie me on the hole. I throw a 2 and he has to score from 100+ awkward spot. He laid up and dropped in. I was a dummy.

sooo...when I asked this question, I'm thinking strategy for improving my outcome. Playing smarter. Playing within my skill set rather than swinging for the fences hoping for a great shot.

Welcome to the sport! I live in Round Rock, so I'm really familiar with courses like Z-Boaz. There are so many sick courses in central Texas.

Couple things I'd recommend if your open to some advice. First off, it's easy to get results oriented when stuff like bad roll aways happen. Roll aways sometimes are just bad luck, you see them happen all the time to pros. Also, I've had just as many roll aways happen when trying to "lay up" as I have when running the chains. Point is, don't let that roll away shake your confidence.

The sticky "Craigs Corner" is fantastic. One thing he talks about is being chain high and on the way down. This philosophy has helped my short game so much. Basically, you want your disc on the way down at the pin. I practice throwing slight hyzers, both forehand and backhand, that fade out at the basket. I practice these shots more than anything besides putting. Also suggest practicing upshots from awkward stances, from a knee, stepping out around a tree, etc.

Last thing - consistency is key in this sport, and especially with putting and upshots. I'd recommend finding a couple of molds you like and sticking with them. There's different strategies around mold selection but my suggestion would be to just get good with your putter out to 150ish(or more if your comfortable), then find a mold that handles the wind well. For example, I use a dx aviar as often as possible, and just started throwing a Rhyno for windy shots. Some people just go putter then utility driver for the wind. Some go putter and beefy mid. Just find a couple you like and stick with them.
Also, I'd suggest a pre shot routine. I am so money with my approach game when I practice, then I get in a tourney, my heart is pounding, and it all falls apart. Getting a nice pre shot routine and building muscle memory has really helped in high pressure situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are really digging in hard on this one. Regardless of how you want to parse it, your notion that a 300'. hyzer in a field is easy to get nine out of 10 inside the circle is ridiculous. If you personally find it easy, good for you. You should tour. The rest of us shouldn't feel bad because you overachieve.

I never said it's easy for everyone to get up and down from 300 with no obstacles. I said that is my 2 shot distance.

Its strange you assume someone who can throw a 300 ft hyzer well also has all the other skills it would take to tour. A wide open 300 ft hole is a rarity at the pro level.

I agree with others advising you to practice your putting. If you need to be within 15 feet of the basket to make 90% of your putts, you have a very small landing zone for approach shots.

Practice longer putts, from 20 - 25 ft. This not only benefits you when facing a big putt, it also increases your landing zone on approach shots from further out.

If you do this and continue working in approach shots, you should be able to shave some strokes off your rounds.

Last edited:
Practice everything!!!

The more confident your putting, the harder you can approach. Psyching yourself into "layups" will usually psyche yourself out.

Don't Rambo a laser (or nothing) shot everytime if you can't make your comeback. The trick is knowing your limits and percentages on what you can do, don't take risks your arm can't cash. Pick the flattest line, slowest disc you can throw and the most open line (focusing on first gap).

I like this idea/thread... figure out your landing zone and try to get there and how often can you hit it...

I played Z-Boaz the other day with the notion of using control off the tee and not overly aggressive on upshots and putts. My scores weren't especially great as I still struggle with consistency (things like grip lock), but I felt good about my round and my play. What we called fairway golf when I played ball golf.

On the long putts, I'm trying to emulate Barsby (where it's an option) to throw a high flattish shot that's sinking towards the basket--similar to azplaya25 description.

Practicing in the backyard, I find I can throw at the basket from 30+ but I probably don't make 1 in 10 and if I'm trying to make the putt (throwing a spin putt that's fairly level), I'm more likely to have a "tester" for the next shot.

I'm sure with practice, I'll get better and this will evolve, but remembering to tone down aggressive play is really improving my game.

From my experience and what I see on here, new players are always thinking about ripping big shots. It's like a right of passage.