• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your definition of success?

I think there may be two parallel sentiments---the inferiority complex, that disc golf hasn't really "made it" until we're on ESPN, but also a lot of folks who would enjoy disc golf having a greater profile, without measuring its success that way. They simply think it would be cool to see disc golf on TV, etc.

You and I are of the same mind when it comes to the growth of the sport

Agreed, but I think you'll see less "league" players and more "rec" players, like ball golf....just without the huge upper level cash payouts. Remember, though, that ball golf has far longer history. I think it's just more of a waiting game than our generation(s) is(are) used to dealing with.

This last statement is very true. We are definitely a society of instant gratification. Even TV dinners weren't fast enough for us so we developed the microwave oven so instead of taking 20 minutes to "cook" a three course meal we can do it in 6. Anyone know how long it took for ball golf to go from being a pastime for bored shepherds in Scotland to being a world wide sport?

I would love to see DG reach the popularity of softball... but I want it know. I'm not getting any younger you know. ;)

When I don't get blank stares from telling people I play disc golf. That's success.
Ha, wow. Everyone here knows disc golf. My mom works for the state and proudly tells anyone that I work for a disc golf shop or now for MVP. No stigma to it, no explaining. It's normal and known and people think it's interesting. There are also 3 separate houses on my block where people have quads and tourney bags.

Strange to think that Austin's reality is further down the track of DG success. It's an incredibly progressive area, for better or worse (subjectively). This all probably shapes my view of DG's future success.

My definition of sucess? When we held our Ice Bowl tournament recently and 100 people showed up and rasied around $2600.00 dollars for a local food bank.

Ha, wow. Everyone here knows disc golf. My mom works for the state and proudly tells anyone that I work for a disc golf shop or now for MVP. No stigma to it, no explaining. It's normal and known and people think it's interesting. There are also 3 separate houses on my block where people have quads and tourney bags.

Strange to think that Austin's reality is further down the track of DG success. It's an incredibly progressive area, for better or worse (subjectively). This all probably shapes my view of DG's future success.

I think you'd find something similar in places like Charlotte and Minneapolis where disc golf has grown more quickly and become more integrated into the community.

I think success occurs when an activity attains the elements of sustainability, meaning it's so ingrained in the fabric of communities, societal infrastructure, language and media that it will continue indefinitely. BTW, that means becoming an integral part of school education and physical activities whether P.E. or competition at all levels.

Last edited:
Success in life? Happy wife, happy life.

Success in disc golf? Play up to my abilities. Although just playing is a success in my mind-- every day you wake up breathing is a good day. Watching my club grow is nice as well.

Success for disc golf as a sport? I don't really care, as long as the people playing it are having fun.

I think the goal of acceptance into PE would is a great measure. We tried all kinds of stuff in PE over the years and disc golf would fit right in. Here's the continuum of responses we need to move along in regards to when you tell someone you play disc golf:

I've never heard of it.
I've seen those baskets before.
My cousin plays that game.
A friend took me out once to play.
I played in gym class.

In the Charlotte area I think the general public is at the "My cousin plays that game" level of acceptance. The public is aware of it's existance and knows someone who does it.

We need a better representation of disc golf by the players. Disc golf has gotten a bad reputation from recreational players and tournament players who smoke and drink on the course. I dont think that there is anything wrong with either of these , but leave it at home. If we ever want our sport to grow and become more popular, respected, publicized and recognized, players need to conduct themselves in a manner that advocates this. The future of disc golf will rely on good publicity. The better we represent the sport the more it is going to grow in a positive manner. We could be on ESPN or other popular sports channels if we were more respected. The disc golf community for the most part is not well respected. Think of all the doors that could be opened up by presenting a positive image for the community. The popularity and advancement of our sport depends on the players and thats the bottom line. Once we do this we might just become a sport that everyone loves to watch and is a recognized household name. Now that would be a success.

My definition of success at disc golf is seeing new places, meeting new people, and most importantly having fun while hiking around in the woods. :D