• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your disc golf history?

1978 I got in trouble in the marines and got cofined to base.I made friends with a guy who was into Frizbee bigtime[he was in trouble too].We would throw for hours every day,and when it got dark we would stand on the white sidewalk so we could see the disc,I got deadly accurate.Over the last 30 years I would throw at any chance. I taught my kids to hit me in the head[and they can]when they were little.Here's my story.Two years ago my wife bought me a 200g Whamo disc,not knowing about DG I told a friend and he said so and so has frizbees that turn left,turn right,do this, do that,and go a mile.And I said bull****.I talked to so and so and bought some used discs and about took out the windows out at Hart library.I was done.A year ago I went to my first course.My best is a 2 over at Whitehall,16 at Fremont,8 on the beast,12 on Beauty, and 11 over at Flip City,my favorite course.I have played twice a week nonstop for 1 full year.Alot of snow.I'm 50 and I'll never stop.

Ahh, frisbee history.

I thought the OP meant DG history.

circa 75 - 77

The first frisbee games we played were simple toss and a football game with a frisbee.
We eventually migrated to target practice... using an object to aim at.

I remember the local University Police harrassing us late one evening in a local park for
"throwing them damn dope toys"

Also, a hacky sack rep traveled thru our town back then and put on an exhibition at the local University. I still have that leather hacky sack somewhere in a drawer.

Last edited:
We had some awsome catch and throw.I could throw from my room to the room across the courtyard,in the door at100+,it was great

The newest chapter in my history is adding the Dan Beato backhand driving form to my game. Hit about 300' standing still. Very happy about that. Thanks Dan!

What would your life be like if he had 3 Discraft Discs?

This is not getting enough love here. Mind blowing stuff.

I have thrown Discraft quite a bit, years back. I prefer Innova. Hands down.

To each their own.

The main reason I throw Innova is... I have been to Worlds three times and met
the company employees and I support Innova for the folks they have on staff, the
professional players they sponsor as well as their superior product. Climo can't be that wrong.

You discraft folks beat him?

Last edited:
I started playing sometime in 2004 but faded away from the scene when I went off to college. Then for the four years I was there, my focus just shifted to swimming/water polo and my fraternity. After graduation last summer, I got home and just did the bum-living-with-the-parents routine for a while until recently when I picked it up again. Now I play regularly with some friends who compete in deaf tournaments most of the time, and are lot better than I am. However playing with them pushes me to improve my game and I'm now hooked!

Great stories all.

A little over 4 years ago I left my wife and started a new a completely different life with my GF. One of the million reasons I left was that my ex really didn't like to DO anything. Angie loves the outdoors and she loves to "play." We fish together, camp, hike, bike, work-out, etc. She had an old cheesy promo frisbee so we started tossing it around and she really enjoyed playing catch. Being a child of the 60s I told her it's a lot more fun with a real frisbee. So I bought an ultimate disc. She instantly dug it. We were at Joseph Davis SP to go fishing and we saw a few baskets. She said what are those. Never having seen or even heard of disc golf before I was clueless. So I opinioned that maybe they were something to feed the deer in the winter. :rolleyes:

About that time we went to my family picnic at Beaver Island SP. The place we have our picnic is right by the first few baskets and we watched folks playing and we thought that might be fun and maybe we should get some of those discs. A couple of days later I was a Wal-Mart and they had a sale on 3 packs of Wham-O frisbee golf discs. So I bought 3 packs, the third being for her son. And we gave it a whirl. :D We both instantly fell in love with it. :cool: 30+ discs later, several golf bags, and a practice basket we're hooked.

Now we play a minimum of 3 times a week. Mostly at Joseph Davis SP. My nephew is big in the sport and helped build the course at Emery so we've been going there once a week as well. In fact we are planning a trip to The Netherlands, Belgium & Luxembourg for this October. Disc golf in Rotterdam is a part of our plans!

last weekend a friend who plays often told some other friends about it and we all went out with him for the 1st time together, that was last saturday. We were instantly hooked right in, we went sunday and monday too. Then I took my girlfriend out for her 1st time on tuesday. I started with a gateway putter I bought on saturday and didnt even know it was a putt and approach disc, lol. Now I have 10 discs and a bag. We're going out to a field to practice driving this evening. I can't wait to get this sport down to a T. I'll post sum pics and reviews of the courses in my area soon.

Discs:
GateWay Proto-Type Putter/Approach 175
Innova KC Pro Roc 180
Innova R-Pro Cro 175
Innova Star Boss 175
Innova Champion Groove 171
Innova Star Beast 175
Innova Star Valkyrie 175
Innova Star Leopard 175
Innova Champion Beast 175 (girlfriends disc)
Innova Birdie Putter 175 (girlfriends disc)

I got a fullcolor Reaper ESP Buzz and a star Xcaliber on the way too.

0528092131.jpg

Last edited:
last weekend a friend who plays often told some other friends about it and we all went out with him for the 1st time together, that was last saturday. We were instantly hooked right in, we went sunday and monday too. Then I took my girlfriend out for her 1st time on tuesday. I started with a gateway putter I bought on saturday and didnt even know it was a putt and approach disc, lol. Now I have 10 discs and a bag. We're going out to a field to practice driving this evening. I can't wait to get this sport down to a T. I'll post sum pics and reviews of the courses in my area soon.

Discs:
GateWay Proto-Type Putter/Approach 175
Innova KC Pro Roc 180
Innova R-Pro Cro 175
Innova Star Boss 175
Innova Champion Groove 171
Innova Star Beast 175
Innova Star Valkyrie 175
Innova Star Leopard 175
Innova Champion Beast 175 (girlfriends disc)
Innova Birdie Putter 175 (girlfriends disc)

I got a fullcolor Reaper ESP Buzz and a star Xcaliber on the way too.

0528092131.jpg

sweet!...your going to love the buzzz!

In high school, I was at a music festival, and I noticed some baskets on a trail in the park. On was right beside where we were camping, 15 feet into the woods. I had played ultimate a lot before then, and through just knowing about disc sports, I knew what it was. I also had an ultimate disc with me, so we played the course-backward. After playing through to the "end", and finding a disc golf stand with a guy selling discs, we realized our mistake. It was just a temp course, so there were no tees. I don't even think they had designations for tees at that point, it was just throw from the previous basket. . I was 17, and we only had one ultimate disc for 4 people, so in retrospect it was a little ridiculous, but at the time it was awesome. There were also some local pros who came and played the course. The first hole was right against the woods the whole way. It was completely open to the right, and completely wooded to the left. One of the pros, and RHBH guy, threw a hyzer shot, and i made a comment about how silly it was to throw way out to the right when he could get the same result going straight.

My first year of college, after playing ultimate 3 nights a week, one of my friends and I went out to search for a place to buy discs. We went to dick's, and I got a Wham-o starter pack along with a Barry Schultz Champion Beast. The first round we played, both of us shot +4 (it's a super easy course). I started understanding how the disc flew pretty quickly, and our second round I shot -8. It was the beginning, and the end is no where in sight.

About 2 and a half years ago, I played my first round at a friends high school graduation party. I played with a Shark, and a normal frisbee. I was instantly hooked. I bought an Innova starter set that week, and have played at least 4 times a week to this day. If I'm ever having a bad day, disc golf can settle me down, or if i'm having a great day, a round of disc golf always is nice!

I absolutely love this sport.

A friend introduced me to the game a little over 6 years ago. The first time we went out he loaned me a couple discs to play. A week or so later a group of friends and I went to Florida to play. Went to the Clearwater disc golf store and bought me about 5 discs and have not stopped playing since.

My Real History

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French waitress named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I recieved my first scribe. At the age of 14 a Zoroastrian named Vilma taught me how to play Disc Golf, it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French waitress named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I recieved my first scribe. At the age of 14 a Zoroastrian named Vilma taught me how to play Disc Golf, it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

YAWN...that is so TOTALLY my story too....

Ahhhh... so that explains your penchant for the Polecat.

My junior year in high school some friends talked me into skipping class with them, not something I usually did but I figured why the hell not. We got into the car and they said, "hey you want to go Disc Golf." I had no idea what they were talking about so they explained it. I was interested in this immediately, so we went. I played my first round with a borrowed disc and afterward demanded that we stop somewhere so I could get my own. I have been playing for 10 years now and I can't get enough.

Hands down the best story on here!

initially played dg all over the place throwing ultimate discs at trees- like many others my friends and i thought we had invented the game.

in 1994 a course was installed just down the street from where i lived in richmond. my friends got into it immediately but i didn't really like it at first- however my overriding competitiveness forced me to keep playing as i hated getting beat at anything by my friends. first disc was the heaviest discraft marauder i could find, second disc was a panther which i actually learned to throw (never learned the marauder- too heavy, too overstable).

eventually chris hysell and will lewis introduced me to tournament golf and i was hooked. won some stuff in am divisions, turned pro in 1997- never won a sanctioned event there.

founded the Old Dominion Disc Series in 1997, have run hundreds of events from mini's to Supertours, have designed or consulted on design on approximately 15 courses, PDGA State Coordinator ever since they created the position, currently operate Hawk Hollow dg course on our farm and run the Virginia Team Invitational and the Hawk Hollow Open. almost never have time to play anymore.

Back in the early 90's my friends and I played ultimate a lot in high school but often we had 6 people which is really not a good number for that game. We started playing on 6-on-6 soccer fields using their small goals (6-10'?) to score which I still say is more fun than regular ultimate. We had heard of disc golf and kept saying our small group should go find a course and play but we never got around to it and stopped playing much frisbee anyway.

One of my buddies had moved from Boston to DC and his crew started emailing me a little over 3yrs ago telling me that it sounds dorky but disc golf is a really fun game. They pointed me to the PDGA site (pre-DGCR days). I found the closest course to Boston which was nearly an hour away (Pye Brook Park), got the Whamo starter set and proceeded to loose all 3 discs in less than 2 rounds of 18 (16 wide-open holes and lots of water). I had a blast.

DG completely replaced my skateboarding and I started my quest to play as many courses as possible. Today marks 3yrs from my start and I'm upto 83 courses and 90 unique permanent layouts.

If anyone uses Microsoft Streets & Trips I am constantly adding courses to my courses file (which is still the best way to plan road trips) and would love to share my coordinates with you.

7 months in I dropped off my first course proposal. It took a little over 2yrs to get baskets in the ground and I just cut the distance to Boston's closest course from 50 to 20min. I was pretty lucky but everyone should try at least once to propose a course. I would be thrilled to offer any help you might need.

Latest posts