• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your disc golf history?

I moved to California in December 1999.
Spring 2000 I was introduced to disc golf by some peeps that I worked with. They took me to Oak Grove and while I had fun, I had no idea what was going on.
Fast forward several years and I find myself quitting a job I had had for 4 years. I had saved some loot and had planned to just chill and see what happened.
One day I was cruising around town on my skateboard and ran into a couple of old friends. They were on their way to the course... of course they invited me and I've been hooked ever since.
I played lots the first few years and was having a grand old time.
I randomly joined DGCR in the Summer of 2007. I did nothing with the site.
For the first couple of years I was just hucking plastic... no clue about form, etc. Just having fun!
From about 2007 to 2009 I rarely played. Sometime around Spring 2010 I started playing more and in June of 2010 I rediscovered this site.
Ever since then I've been playing as much as possible. Lately I've been working on my form and trying to get better.
I know I'll never be some phenom, but I also know I can get better!
Disc golf 4 lyphe! :hfive:

I was introduced to this heavenly game a few years ago. My brother (who is muy popular on this site) invited me to join him and his buds at Castle Hayne. He had gotten into it a year before via one of his friends. As you can probably deduce, the outcome was brutal. However, I was instantly drawn to the laid-back atmosphere of the sport. I played for around a year and then....

...I found this site. I felt like the bushman from The Gods Must Be Crazy when he came across the Coke bottle (but DG will never turn into "That evil thing" for me). I had no idea that disc golf was this organized and established. When I came across the list of courses, I began trying to see how many I could knock out. All of my vacations were focused on throwing plastic of different colors.

Three and a half years in (pay no attention to the stats in my profile,lol.), I'm still addicted...with no end in sight. Thank you, Steady Ed. :thmbup:

I got a book in the mid seventies called Frisbee...by Dr. Johnson, joined the IFA (International Frisbee Assn.) and started playing object courses around my neighborhood with catch discs. I knew a couple of oldtimers in the Illinois Frisbee Assn. and they informed me about a basket course going in at West Park, Joliet, and we imeadiatly started playing it, somewhere around 1980. Soon other courses were put in, Shorewood, New Lenox etc, and disc golf specific discs started showing up. It was a great time to play, with great people involved! I've been playing ever since and are amazed by the continued growth of the sport, dare I say nearing mainstream appeal!

I'm still pretty new at it, but I had a friend, Henry, and he and his family we're big into it. He tried to get to me to play, but I never did. It looked cool, but just didn't seem like my kind of thing. Now 7+ years later, my bro-n-law talked me into playing at my nieces' bday party at cottage hill park. I had a blast, could really kick myself for waiting so long. My wife has been waiting to play for a while, so for an early mother's day present I picked her up some disc and what-not, and now our only trouble is finding someone to watch our 9mos so we can go play.

I was an Ultimate player in the 80's but never got into organized disc golf. In the early 90's I played tournament foosball with a highschool friend and he used to make little object courses all over the city at schools and parks. We threw at object like light poles and such. There was a disc golf demonstration at a local park and I went out and laughed at those guys. They invited me for a round the next day and I showed up with a lid and they gave me a shark. I shot the best round and they convinced me to start going to tournaments with them and I never played foosball again. My friend never really got good with golf discs and I haven't talked to him since the 90's. We got our 1st basket course in 1993 and i've been addicted ever since. Now there are over a dozen courses in the Richmond area.

Around 1999 when I was in the Navy a few of my friends showed up and said hey lets go play disc golf...my wife and I were like what? but it was something to do with friends so we went. They let us borrow some discs and we played and I picked some up at the base hobby shop the next workday.

We then had a big hiatus when we lived in Ballston Spa NY because there were not any completed courses nearby.

We just recently picked it up again and I went into OCD mode and bought a butt load of stuff.

If you ever get back to the Ballston Spa area we now have 2 18 hole courses and a 28 hole course with 4-6 more 18 hole course in development probably have 2-3 of those ready to play by years end. Check out DisCap.net

Disc golf history

I first started playing disc golf with my brother in the fall of '89 at Chastain Park in Atlanta. It was a 9-hole course that had been there since the mid-70s, in fact I think it was one of THE first courses in the Southeast. I basically threw a purple old-school Roc disc and then a couple weeks later finally got a putter (an 86-softie). The first several times, we'd basically be jogging through the course playing in our flip flops and a 40-oz Beast (Old Milwaukee). Surprised we never tripped and sprained our ankle through all that. For quite a while, Chastain, Wills Park, Rico (waaaay down in East Bumble South Fulton Co.), and Redan were the only courses around Atlanta. So choices of where to play were definitely limited then.

Later in the early 90s, Discraft came out with the Eclipse, one of the first true straight long-distance flyers, then later the Tracer. Of course, I would add the Cobra, Stingray, Vortex, and another Roc to my arsenal. All fit comfortably in my 10-disc-limit IFO (Identified Flying Objects) golf bag. Playing religiously throughout most of the 90s, even keeping in practice in college in Savannah (where there were no disc golf courses for over a hundred miles, and over 10+ yrs before Tom Triplett came into existence) and chunk discs out in the open field at Forsyth Park. Even on a few weekends during college, I managed to play a few out-of-town tourneys (Pendleton King in Augusta - which I truly think WAS the closest disc golf from Savannah back in '92-93, Earlewood Park in Columbia SC - still a great old-school course though they need to get double-chain Discatcher baskets and scrap those old crappy single-chained domed ones, and Northside Park in Gainesville FL).

My playing as well as tournament play tapered off a bit after 2002, and then I played very infrequently from 2003-09, but then I get TOTALLY HOOKED back into the game (again through my brother) during March of last year. And since then, I've played practically 3-4 days a week, about half the time after my work shift. I'm 41 now and love the game more than ever. Don't really play in tourneys much anymore (was never a good tourney player anyway), but occasionally will play some weekly local doubles. Mostly though, I play casual with friends and sometimes with my brother though he's more busy these days and it's harder to find the time to play with him.

So as long as my health, stamina, endurance, and body can handle the fun and rigors of driving the disc as far (and as accurate) as I can, then I will continue to play this awesome sport. And when I have a not-so-good round, my friend WHA reminds me that, 'Don't fret it, man, nobody's getting paid here!' As another golfer once said, 'The most fun wins!' :thmbup:

First time I ever played was in Utah... some friends said they were going to do this thing that you throw discs into a basket and invited me to come... this was also the first time I ever heard the word "mulligan" as in "I'm going to take a mulligan." :D
Then in Chicago a few friends and I somehow got on the topic of DG and figured why not let's go. We played a bunch that summer but it was the one disc kinda playing...fun but not really invested into the sport. Some years later, the topic came up with some other friends and we figured yeah, let's go do that... So I bought a few discs at the PIAS and went... long story short, they don't play anymore and I'm somewhat invested in the game now... as in I go whenever I can and I've spent a ton of $$ on it...

I was on vacation visiting my parents in north carolina and they just opened a course, joe eakes park, right down the street from them. It sounded pretty cool so I conviced my dad to play a round with me. I was instantly addicted and I'm happy to say my dad has played quite a few times as well.

started playing when a course opened about a 15 minute drive away from my house in 1981. before that my brother and i would make up a course using telephone poles as "holes" on our street. with frisbees, of course. didn't get a disc til later- a discraft phantom-plus prototype.

We have had some threads on here about why people play disc golf, but I wanted to start a sub topic based on that idea and ask:

How did you start playing disc golf? Was it a friend or family member, something you saw being played, were you drugged and forced to play, or did you receive a message from God about the greatest sport in the world?

My story is that my friends and I played with frisbees and then someone mentioned disc golf. We started throwing our frisbees, bucket lids etc around the local high school as sort of an object course. Once we actually started doing this more we found out where to buy actual discs and started playing on established courses.

My wife. When we first met, she enjoyed playing, so that was one of our common "dates."

EDIT: This post now makes me a Par member! Yay!!!! Does that mean that I will start getting more par rounds now?

I saw a story on the news about a course opening. Went to the local disc retailer and they politely answered all of my dumb questions. Bought a Roc for me and a Shark for the wife and have been getting some exercise ever since!

I had read a bit about disc golf before but had never tried it. Then, last spring, I read an article in my local newspaper about a course opening close to my house. My son and I headed out to check out the course, and since then, we've been hooked.

Wanna SEE Disc Golf History? Have I got a link for you!

EDIT: This post now makes me a Par member! Yay!!!! Does that mean that I will start getting more par rounds now?

Yes it does. :thmbup:

I created a cool "disc golf history" web page I think is THE Best in the World!

That's right, see if you agree that mine is better than DGA, PDGA, WFDF, etc.

Obviously, I'm a bit biased, but I hope others in here will agree with me too...

Disc Golf History (site for World's First First truly 360 Degree course - Park Circle DGC in North Charleston SC)

Also includes the history of Ultimate Frisbee (like Frisbee football if you've never played it before) and has Lots of Cool High-Resolution images of the earliest Frisbee models.

You can also learn about Warren Franscioni - The Forgotten Frisbee Inventor too. Sadly, this man has often been overlooked in the annals of Frisbee history. Frankly, he deserves almost as much credit as Fred Morrison!

As for my personal history of playing disc golf, I first tried out the sport on Kiawah Island SC in the 1980's. I thought this course was a goner, but I ran into somebody just recently who told me it is STILL there! (Not on DGCR yet?)

I hired a guy that played disc golf one day he brought a disc to work and started to throw on our break. Pretty soon we started making object courses at all the houses we worked on. Started playing almost every weekend and on our lunch break everyday. Later on we had to let him go when the economy went into the tank but me and him and a couple other guys still met up on the weekends to play. Then i got married and wasn't able to play much and after 2 years of marriage i am finally getting back into playing with my wife.