• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats your favorite basket?

MVP Portal

We put in MVP Black Hole Portal when we did our course a year ago (BCCC DGC, Washington, NC). The cost for MVP was much lower than any others with the discount for ordering 19. We have been very pleased with them so far, and have gotten many compliments from other players. We got yellow, and the powder coating isn't showing any signs of deterioration (either wooded or open holes), and the baskets themselves are as good as new. They catch very well and haven't spit out any good putts, and there have been several shots that weren't so good that they grabbed as well. I know of 3 aces on the course so far, shortest being 165 ft, up to 330 ft. on the longest ace. The guys/gals there are great to work with too! That's it - just wanted to share our experience with the MVP.

I love prodigy baskets because they still feel special and also they take no BS. They'll eat a high speed hit like a champ, no such thing as a chain heart blow-through and I also love how some complain about them- I like that it's in their heads and they're a little scared.

I'll play on anything though. If a putt spits out its because the putt sucked. Period. Chainstars, DisCatchers, Black holes, I'll throw plastic at any of em!

Ones that don't splash out.

I prefer baskets that do splash out. Baskets that "splash out", for lack of a better term, will adversely effect a better player proportionately more than they adversely effect a poorer player.

Since I want to beat players better than I am this adverse effect is to my advantage.

My first choice of available baskets is the Mach2.

I prefer baskets that do splash out. Baskets that "splash out", for lack of a better term, will adversely effect a better player proportionately more than they adversely effect a poorer player.

Since I want to beat players better than I am this adverse effect is to my advantage.

My first choice of available baskets is the Mach2.

You know my posts arent the most serious right?

Mach III's sound the best. They have their eccenticities, as do all targets. They sound the best. I love them.

I love the Mach III because of the sound. It is a melody pure and true.

I love the Mach III because of the look. It is an iconic look. They also do a really nice job with the powder-coating these days.

I love the Mach III because despite not being the "best catching basket" I do think they are fair. The newer Mach III has a deeper basket, so that helps although it makes them look a little fat bottomed..

The Mach III is also pretty vandal-proof, they have stood the test of time.

All that said the Mach III is pretty expensive relatively. You probably don't want these baskets, and they probably don't make sense for most projects. Another reason they are great - more rare nowadays.

I think it depends on your course. If you have a more recreational city style course where you want to add a little challenge, give it a great look and cost is not an issue: Mach III could make sense. That is a lot of ANDs. :)

DISCatchers are my favorite.
I also like DD Veteran, MachX and the newer Prodigy's.
Chainstars and MachVs are nice too but a step back of everything noted above.

least favorite... Instep.

They're still new, give it time. Complaints will come. ;)

Yeah, but I think I'm getting a deal because they have a huge player in my area with no real prodigy course. I don't know that for sure, but by far the cheapest I have been priced.

The local course that I play 95% of the time on has Mach III baskets. My preference would be Mach X, DD Veteran, or Discatcher.

pretty churlish comment as the thread can hold both quite easily...but you were being 'sarcastic' right?

Lol.....probably more churlish than sarcastic. My point was that peoples' choice in baskets will be as individual as putting styles, and the "best" choice of baskets for a course should and does depend on a lot more factors than the "favorite" of the DGCR collective.

As stated earlier, I love Chainstars.....a basket of frequent disdain here (and elsewhere). Why?.....I have played 90% of my last decade or so on them. I have adopted a soft, nose up putting style to accommodate their weaknesses.

I don't really believe any basket is superior, they all catch great. Dependent upon how you putt into them.

A choice of baskets should include, visibility needs, cost, level of player likely to play the course, park system restrictions/requirements, potential benefits of building a relationship with a particular company or vendor during purchase, durability, regional acceptance and personal preference. Just to name a few things off the top of my head. I am not sure a poll asking all of us, which is our favorites is as helpful as us posting explanations as well.

But, I have no aversion to polls in general. And I certainly did not mean to step on any poll loving golfers toes. :p

I always loved the melodic CHIIIING of a Mach III especially when they were new and I was new to this sport. Music to my ears.

Back then it WAS the best basket. It was either that or the Mach II with its tiny catching area and flat, shallow basket (I only ever saw a Mach I on a temporary hole at a tournament in Ludington - it was more of an interesting novelty due to its age) or early awful single-chain Discatchers. Up until 2000, a course with Mach III's and cement tees was freaking awesome and we knew we had it good when we were lucky enough to live closely enough to one.

Oh, yeah, forgot about the course with "bike cable" baskets that had bike cables instead of chains. Early Fitzgerald Park near Lansing, MI. Ha ha ha ha! You talk about a disappointment when your Disc made contact!

Innova DISCatchers because they are installed on more courses around the world than any other brand
:popcorn:
A7gnAhO.png

Latest posts