• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your warm up routine?

That said, I read David's post. Wouldn't surprise me if I made pre-round stretches part of my routine over the next few years, just as a preventative measure.

Well, I spent 2015 and 2016 with a long string of injuries and health problems, so I might not be the best source on preventative measures. Or, I might be a poster child for needing more. (Made it through 2017, though, March through December 20, at which time I walked into a sofa and apparently damaged my knee again).

I've had knee problems all my life and many years ago, when I finally decided that surgery would be worth the relief, I with to an orthopedist. He said my hamstrings were too tight and prescribed stretching.....with the result that in my early 40s, my knees were better than they'd been in my twenties. I know I'd be much better off if I stretched everyday---or better, like Stevefolfer, took up yoga---but I at least do it before playing.

I'm 31 and pretty much only stretch before a round when it's cold out. I probably should stretch more, given I'm terribly inflexible and have issues with my knees and lower back. But normally I just walk up and start my round.

Run in place for 30 seconds, high knees
Jumping jacks for 30 seconds
5-10 Squats
5-10 alternating luges to warm up my legs
Small arm circles – 10 forward, 10 back
Large arm circles – 10 forawrd, 10 back
Tricep stretch
Lat stretch (side bends)
Hamstrings
Quads
Groin
Hip Flexors (runners stretch)
GLUTE/piriformis stretch
Trunk twists
Forearm stretch for the forehand throws
Towel whips

15-20 mins usually which is stupid long but, I need it. I strength train 6 days a week and am always tight, especially my lowerback. I'll even roll out my glutes at home on my foam roller before I leave for the course.

My warm-up routine?
Depends, if I'm first off the tee...

rotate my throwing arm in a pinwheel in both directions about 15 times. I'm 53, and been pretty lucky with injuries in general.

Shotgun 5 beers, stumble to teepad, throw disc

picture.php

Throw two and go.

Well, I spent 2015 and 2016 with a long string of injuries and health problems, so I might not be the best source on preventative measures. Or, I might be a poster child for needing more. (Made it through 2017, though, March through December 20, at which time I walked into a sofa and apparently damaged my knee again).

I've had knee problems all my life and many years ago, when I finally decided that surgery would be worth the relief, I with to an orthopedist. He said my hamstrings were too tight and prescribed stretching.....with the result that in my early 40s, my knees were better than they'd been in my twenties. I know I'd be much better off if I stretched everyday---or better, like Stevefolfer, took up yoga---but I at least do it before playing.

I know your pain. Ive had a lot of injuries throughout the years from riding bikes. I sacrificed my body to do what I loved. Racing BMX as a kid and owning dirt bikes and then continued racing mtn bikes and some road racing riding for a bike shop up into my mid 30's. I had a full knee replacement at 38 and then about a year and half later I needed my shoulder redone from blowing out the rotator cuff from a couple of broken collar bones. I'm a few years past my surgeries now and my body doesn't hurt as bad as it did.

I do arm circles. About 10–20 small ones in each direction w/ fingers pointed up, then the same number of large ones with fingers pointed down. I used to have mild but persistent shoulder pain after a round, sometimes for days, but this went away completely after I started this routine.

My body is a gordian's knot of rubber bands from playing basketball so I'm stretching all the time during the day just to stay mobile. On the upside, I don't have to do much to warm-up before disc golf, just arm circles to get the shoulders loose, some forearm stretches to keep the tendinitis from recurring and some hip and lower back stretches to loosen it up.

I don't like to go full-power until I'm warmed up and a couple holes in though.

I like to stand on my tippy toes and spin around for about 9-13 minutes. Then I smoke a whole pack of cigarettes. After that I drink three full mountain dews really fast and eat some donuts. To top it all off I like to take a big dump right next to the first tee.

I like to stand on my tippy toes and spin around for about 9-13 minutes. Then I smoke a whole pack of cigarettes. After that I drink three full mountain dews really fast and eat some donuts. To top it all off I like to take a big dump right next to the first tee.

Like a disgusting ballerina