• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When a noob won't listen....

waynewf

Double Eagle Member
So I went out for a round on Sunday with a few friends, and someone brought along someone who had never played before. Of course theey turn to me, and I pull out a couple of my extra discs and set this guy up. He immediately rubbed me the wrong way when he said, "Just give me whatever, I'm good at everything, I'll pick it up."
ooooookay...
So 1st tee I give this dude the quick and dirty and try to get him to take no steps, and start with his back facing the hole and just pull it through...instead he does this goofy inside-out forehand type throw, the likes of which I had never seen and his disc goes straight up about 200 feet and then lands 50 feet in front of him.
This is how the hole day went for this guy adn every time I tried to drop a little nugget, it was like he completely ignored it and didn't humor me. Now I'm not the best in the world, but I was driving about 325 yesterday and throwing it pretty straight. I don't think this guy had a throw more than 150 feet...but he did he a 20 foot putt on the second to last hole that he talked about the entire last hole and walk to the cars...
Sheesh!
Any other noob horror stories?

Best thing to do it let 'em play, giving advice only after they ask for it. Some people prefer to give it a go themselves, like my girlfriend. She didn't start asking for help until recently.

Yeah, no reason to try to help some one who has said they don't want or need it.
I would have played in another group or ignored his game.

I took a buddy out for his first time and gave him a Leopard, Shark, and Aviar. He didn't like the way he was throwing, so he made me trade discs with him. He then continued throwing my dx Beast like it was the most overstable disc in the world. He claimed it was an improvement so I didn't argue.

Thats when I stop trying to help and just go on with my own game

Some people are stubborn. Let them bang their head against the wall and then be inwardly satisfied when they come crawling back to you begging for help.

Edit: you weren't trying to tell him how the Civil War went down while playing, did you? Cuz I'd ignore you then, too! ;)

I played with a buddy who swore up and down it was just like playing frisbee. He did some similar movement described by the OP. It was comical at best. He only lasted six holes and said it was to much for him and left. I let him use a leopard. He said that it was just to much effort to drive the disk that far and didn't understand how I could play such a stupid sport. He still to this day swears it is just like frisbee.

Some people are stubborn. Let them bang their head against the wall and then be inwardly satisfied when they come crawling back to you begging for help.

Edit: you weren't trying to tell him how the Civil War went down while playing, did you? Cuz I'd ignore you then, too! ;)

HAHA, no none of that. I will say that we played a pretty open course where discs generally don't get lost and I gave this guy my dyed Star Valk...and started getting worried that he was going to lose it....that made it a little difficult to concentrate on my game...

We had a guy on our softball team last year stress how easy it was to throw a disc it he could throw a frisbee. He constantly boasted about how easy it would be and how it couldn't be that hard to throw one. He admitted that he had never thrown one but how he could catch on easily because after all, they are still frisbees to him. We took him to a field near us that we use for field practice. Since his arrogance level was overflowing, a buddy of mine handed him a 175 champion Xcal (yes, you guys know where this is going)...and told him to prove just how good he was at a sport he'd never even played. The disc flew off to the left within a fraction of a second and hit a guys's aluminum shed who lived next to the field. He tried a few more that all ended the same way and his best throw of the day was a pro rhyno that went about 175'. Yes, it was mean to watch him display his idiocy in front of us but it was to teach him a lesson, stop acting like you're the greatest at every sport. Just because it's a frisbee doesn't mean it's the easy frisbees you play catch with on the beach with your buddies. He has played with us a few times since then when he's in town but now he asks to use some understable stuff, lol.

Some people are hard-headed.

I had a friend I took out and I talked him out of getting discs cause he was talking about Destroyers and the likes. Gave him a Wizard, X Buzzz, Leopard and a Teebird. He couldnt throw the Teebird and I explained to him that a Destroyer is much much harder.

Well, next time I got him out he had a Wraith and a Destroyer among about 15 discs he go and he had discovered what I tried to tell him ahead of time. He did at least get a Buzzz and Eagle (Eagle still too much) but he said he read somewhere where pros dont even use a putter.

I spent that day throwing an Ion twice as far as any disc he had at least. Hopefully it stuck.

These jackholes threw on us on hole 9 of ERP the other day so we let them play through on 10. My wife...always the nice and quiet type, asked them why they were playing from the black tees when they obviously weren't very good and they proceeded to blow her off and only one of them actually got past the red tee on their first throw...

I swear that damn woman is going to get me into a fight one day.

I've heard someone say that before too. Where the hell are these guys getting this info?

:doh:

I heard one new player trying to help another new player once, they were discussing how to release the disc. The "experienced" new guy told the "new" new guy that the disc is out of your hand before your arm starts forward.
We all looked at him and asked how that worked, one guy even tried it. Of course the disc just dropped to the ground when he did. :wall: :p

Some people just don't take well to unsolicited (or even solicited) advice, especially when it comes to sports and other competitive endeavors. Best bet is to simply hold back until he/she honestly wants the help. Although, I think a few offers of advice here and there can't hurt. Sometimes if I feel like a beginner doesn't seem to want to heed basic advice, I will simply speak the advice out loud, not directed to them in particular, but as if spoken to myself in a way. Perhaps they see right through it, but often I think these types feel more comfortable with this approach, as it didn't seem like it was in any way pointing out that they have a lot to learn, or damaging their pride.

Sometimes it just takes a little time before someone swallows their pride and opens the door to taking pointers.

damaging their pride.

Thats what it comes down to I think. They come out thinking they're just throwing a frisbee, usuaully ridiculing and discrediting the sport; then someone is pointing out their doing it wrong.

Thats what it comes down to I think. They come out thinking they're just throwing a frisbee, usuaully ridiculing and discrediting the sport; then someone is pointing out their doing it wrong.

That's true too but with my example, the guy was VERY egotistical about himself and sports. As if there wasn't a sport he couldn't be pro at within a matter of weeks. Therefore, it was only right that we handed him the Xcal just to see it hyzer way left and prove our point to him. He laughed it off, admitted he was wrong (after claiming the disc was flawed at first) and kept trying but he's since changed his attitude towards the game.

We would have probably felt likes jackasses though if he'd thrown it 300' straight out or more.

I'm always happy to give advice and help when asked, but it's not worth stressing when somebody is not interested in learning. Most people either eventually decide to ask for help and try to get better or they give up on the sport, either way forcing your advice on them when they're not ready to listen will frustrate you both.

Latest posts