• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When a noob won't listen....

I can't really come up with a n00b horror story. I've been pretty lucky with the guys I introduce to the game. The guy I'm "teaching" now was actually pretty good his first time out. His putting went from missing everything to nailing 20 footers by the end of the front 9. His drives went from 100 foot spike hyzers to 200 foot fairly accurate drives by the end of the first round. The best part is when he has a question he asks. He'll have a horrible throw, turn around and ask what he did wrong. Took maybe 3 rounds for him to figure it out on his own. He'll have one of those bad shots and instantly says "threw it from my hip" or "too much hyzer" So I guess he's been listening.

Flash86 and I were playing with 2 guys last night. They were throwing really flippy drivers on a 155 foot hole. We told them to try their putters. They both parked their shots. They decided that still liked using the drivers better.

Whateverrrrr.

Flash86 and I were playing with 2 guys last night. They were throwing really flippy drivers on a 155 foot hole. We told them to try their putters. They both parked their shots. They decided that still liked using the drivers better.

Whateverrrrr.

You can lead a horse to water,...............

U can always tell which noobs are gonna be a staple in this sport.I have learned quickly in a short period of time because i was willing to be open minded and asked alot of questions.I just like to tell them to pull the disc across ur chest like ur starting a lawn mower and follow through like ur snapping someone with a wet towel ,to help relate to everyday situations,and keep the disc low and work ur way higher if needed.After they start gettin the hang of it i just leave em with SLOW DOWN AND FOLLOW THROUGH;)

I was playing with Bazillion today at Evergreen in Goleta. We were looking for Baz's disc and let some groups play through. This one kid yelled, "Whose Teebird is this?" I yelled back, "Mine!" So homeboy is all, like, "Cool. Here you go!" and threw it back to me.

He really thought he was helping.

I was playing with Bazillion today at Evergreen in Goleta. We were looking for Baz's disc and let some groups play through. This one kid yelled, "Whose Teebird is this?" I yelled back, "Mine!" So homeboy is all, like, "Cool. Here you go!" and threw it back to me.

He really thought he was helping.

i would have thrown it back AT him and told him to put it back.... with his buttcheeks

I can't really come up with a n00b horror story. I've been pretty lucky with the guys I introduce to the game. The guy I'm "teaching" now was actually pretty good his first time out. His putting went from missing everything to nailing 20 footers by the end of the front 9. His drives went from 100 foot spike hyzers to 200 foot fairly accurate drives by the end of the first round. The best part is when he has a question he asks. He'll have a horrible throw, turn around and ask what he did wrong. Took maybe 3 rounds for him to figure it out on his own. He'll have one of those bad shots and instantly says "threw it from my hip" or "too much hyzer" So I guess he's been listening.

I've got a buddy like this. He went out with me once and got addicted immediately. So I've taken him out every time I go out now and he asks questions, he listens, he practices, he uses slower discs (like I should have) and he's really coming along wth his putting (he built his own portable and practices all day when hes not working). I hope he doesn't end up becoming so good he's beating me lol.

My buddy is pretty horrible at discing. Funny thing is he's been playing for like 20 years and thinks he's awesome. I watch him struggling with the game all the time and once in a while I offer some advice about his bad discing habits. He always gets pissy and says something like "I know what Im doing, sometimes Im unstoppable, remember that one round 5 years ago when I was -9?" (happened 1 time and was a fluke) Some people are just doomed to be a noob forever.

People are a-holes. All of us.. No one wants to be told that what we are doing is wrong. The best thing to do is just watch and hope they ask for help. Otherwise, just keep putting the disc out there beyond them, smiling after every shot.

My one buddy is pretty good (score wise and great putter) but knowingly uses OAT to control discs; and I was the same way until I came here and started to learn. I told him what I learned but he has not seemed to take any interest.

I hoped he would when he was throwing his Viking and I outdrove him with my Leopard; but OK, not a big difference I guess in disc speeds. Then, it was my Medius I kept outdriving him with; not much of a step down even yet I suppose but he started trying to use a Roadrunner more or an Assassin. Now, its my Core that I can outdrive him with and he asked me if I had anything like a Boss or Destroyer cause he wants to try a faster disc. :doh:

I told him how I got rid of all my high speed drivers and why I have been throwing mids and putters, explaining once again; but I think I am just going to have to push that Wizard out to 300' which would be just past his long, but I dont think the message is getting through.

I havent come across anyone we have introduced that isnt willing to learn.

My biggest problem is actually with some of us "experienced" players. Sometimes we just over coach a noob. You know what , sometimes let them just have a semi decent shot, and leave them to figure out things themselves... instead of the constant post throw tutorials on how their wrist position was wrong, or back swing was wrong etc etc... if it was my first time .. i would tell my "coach" to please just shut the &^%$# up for the next couple of holes. I tend to walk over to the noob and just say they are doing great, and just to enjoy their first time out.

Theirs a lot to learn and finding your rhythm just comes from throwing a disc.

I have played a few rounds with a noob over the last couple of weeks. I was with him for his first round, and a bud of mine provided him with a putter, a mid , and a driver to try out as we played.

Of course he pretty much refused to touch the mid and continued to meat hook the driver over and over again.

After the round he said he wanted to get a disc of his own to try out, so we went to the local shop....he ignored all advice we gave him, and he bought 4 drivers and a putter. He kept asking "which one goes the farthest" to which I replied "until you have good form, none of them will go very far for you"

I continually tried to get him to throw the mid range my bud had lent him, and occasionally after he would hook a drive into the weeds, I would get him to throw it with much greater success...but of course on the next hole he would reach for the driver again... :doh:

A week later my buddy says he is inviting the noob back out, so we all meet up, and the noob now has a large bag STUFFED with discs. We step up to the first hole, which is a 200 foot shot and he pulls out a groove...he acted all excited and said he was getting 200 feet with it all week. He throws, and gets a huge meathook to the left.

The rest of the round went pretty much the same :wall:

So I'll go ahead and give a noob story, with me as the noob!
I went out to throw for the first time with my friend. I've meant to try it before hand, but just never got the oppurtunity.
So he hands me a disc (I don't remember which one), and I just launch it. Didn't really think about, just took an Ultimate Throw-Off and hucked it like 250-300 (thank god it was an open hole...didn't go all that straight where I aimed ^_^ ). Both guys just kinda looked at me and were like "Holy crap dude, how'd you do that?" Well, they both play alot, but haven't got the knowledge of the intricate subtlties to really help me, much. Threw mostly bogies with a decent number of pars. Didn't know enough myself to ask questions, all I could do was try to make discs follow lines i wanted by throwing hyzers or anhyzers (as I found out later). So I end up getting some discs, and the Buzzz and Magnet were a good choice, but the Avenger SS probably wasn't. I think what happened was that he was seeing me throw so fast, that he immedietly gave me a disc to match, instead of getting me to slow down and try to develop finer control first. The first few drivers I ended up with were the Avenger SS, Groove, and Nuke. Yeah. So I spent the first month or so throwing discs that were way too fast for me.
I've since come here, and down graded discs. However, I don't have much time to go to local doubles matches or anything like that, so I've had to work on things mostly on my own. Trying to glean insights from here hasn't really helped a whole lot, as I don't really know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I've got slower discs, but I'm struggling with how to get distance and not turnover my XL.
I'll go to the course, and if no one is behind me, I'll throw several discs per shot, to try to figure out what I should be doing...and it...works to a degree.
I was supposed to go play with a pro today, but work's gonna go late, so that's a bust, so hopefully he'll be free sometime later this week....
Moral of the story, have faith, there ARE noobs out there who want to learn. Sometimes they're just hard to find. (Anyone who plays in the Triangle, hit me up! I need help!!! :D)

So I just refuse to play with anyone new, unless they are a very close friend. I just don't have the patience any more. The last time I did play with a fresh noob was the beginning of this season. I met a friend at the course and he brought 2 of his friends that I really don't know that well. After 4 holes I made an excuse that I got a text and had to leave. I hate to sound crass or inpatient, but I disc to forget about all the bs that I endure all day and I need to keep a certain pace to enjoy myself. If its one of my close friends I have all the patience in the world and they usually listen to advice and have a great time. I just don't have the strength to make it work for a stranger. I would help someone if they asked for help though, but I've had really horrible experiences with fresh noobs that think they know it all.

Biz
Team Bert

I play with anyone. A guy a used to work with was at a tournament I was at this last weekend. He's playing great. It's amazing how fast people improve playing so fast.

Being a noob, I WISH someone would help me. The closest course is 30 miles away and I go every chance I get, but there really aren't people who seem like they wanna help.

I'm just grateful for this board. Switching from a Destroyer to a Leopard was the best move I've made yet and it was because of what I learned on here.

I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating:
"If a noob wants advice, they'll ask for it."
Sometimes, I will venture very small amounts of advice to a noob if I sense that they are ready (really frustrated).
This usually amounts to "Instead of that really neat-looking driver (Beast, Boss, Force, Wraith), why don't you try this disc (Stratus, Stingray, Aviar, Coyote, Buzzz, Cobra, XD) and just try to throw it flat and straight."
If they show interest and ask me more questions, then I'll try to help.

I have played a few rounds with a noob over the last couple of weeks. I was with him for his first round, and a bud of mine provided him with a putter, a mid , and a driver to try out as we played.

Of course he pretty much refused to touch the mid and continued to meat hook the driver over and over again.

After the round he said he wanted to get a disc of his own to try out, so we went to the local shop....he ignored all advice we gave him, and he bought 4 drivers and a putter. He kept asking "which one goes the farthest" to which I replied "until you have good form, none of them will go very far for you"

I continually tried to get him to throw the mid range my bud had lent him, and occasionally after he would hook a drive into the weeds, I would get him to throw it with much greater success...but of course on the next hole he would reach for the driver again... :doh:

A week later my buddy says he is inviting the noob back out, so we all meet up, and the noob now has a large bag STUFFED with discs. We step up to the first hole, which is a 200 foot shot and he pulls out a groove...he acted all excited and said he was getting 200 feet with it all week. He throws, and gets a huge meathook to the left.

The rest of the round went pretty much the same :wall:

....similar experiences around our local courses with the noobs throwing grooves and nukes on 280 ft holes.

I heard one new player trying to help another new player once, they were discussing how to release the disc. The "experienced" new guy told the "new" new guy that the disc is out of your hand before your arm starts forward.
We all looked at him and asked how that worked, one guy even tried it. Of course the disc just dropped to the ground when he did. :wall: :p

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE it when the "experienced" noob gives the "new" noob advice. It is almost always advice that I disagree with. If you correct the bad advice, the new noob's head is spinning.

So my brother and his gf have taken up the sport. I tag along on some of their work outings- a bunch of newbs that they work with. One of the guys is pretty cool and has really got the bug:) He sees that I know what I'm talking about (pretty much) and asks me questions that I'm happy to answer. The problem is that his flex shots that he throws every drive go much further then my hyzers. So he will turn to ask me a form question then turn to answer a form question from one of the newer players. Lol. I was thinking;" who cares that he's 40ft further- I'm 10+ down from him!"
I think it's hard on my brother cause I have him on the "correct" form but he's getting beat by guys putting with drivers. I tell him it'll pay off but I know it's frustrating.

Latest posts