• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When to add reachback?

craftsman

* Ace Member *
I haven't been reaching back much, I've been focusing on the bent arm technique. It's been working wonders so now I wonder when should I add a full reachback. Any tips are appreciated.

I've been revamping my form as well and all I can tell you is to make sure that your reach back and pull stays loose and that your footwork dictates your reachback.

Add the reachback just before you add the x-step.

Just don't add a reach-around. I think other players might take exception to that. It could lead to some brawls at the course.

What I mean is what distance to I have to reach before I should add a reachback?
Should I be able to break 400 without a reachback?

If you can chuck 400' without any reachback you are my hero. Then again, I just might suck. My meaningless opinion is that once you have some timing and control down with your basic form then adding more reachback isn't a problem. Do some field practice and play around with a reachback and see how far you can reach back without having a negative impact on your control. I think we are all different. you might be able to have a big reach back, add some distance and not lose anything with respect to your control. Or you might have to slowly adjust so you don't mess with the success you already have.

I did it once I started being able to control my throws with no reach back, which took a little longer than I had expected. Once you're able to do that then adding a reach back and then steps one at a time. I find it's helpful to make it an iterative process where I'll start from a standstill and build my throw from the hit back. Then I'll do it again to try to improve timing even more once I know what I need to fix.

The important thing is that when you add reachback and/or steps, you are only adding movement, you aren't changing the ones you've already worked on.

Yes I am already using a basic x step. Everything has been going great since using the bent arm but then I aquired the Scott stokley set and he shows pointing on the reachback.
Lately I've been driving longer and more accurate then ever- can't wait to measure my new throws:)
I have taken provided advice very seriously. I slimmed molds, dropped weight, adjusted grip, plane, rotation, follow through, bought comets, drove with putters, really, really focused on timing, avenger is my only fast and fastest disc, adjusted my putting.... It's all paying off.Now if I could only tackle my biggest problem- nerves. So now I think I can add reachback. Does that mean I should add faster drivers? Should I add faster drivers and stick with bent arm? I feel I really need more distance. Yeah I know short is where it's at, but what happens is that I can shoot around 60 when by myself or with people of my same calliber- when I get around pro level players, I get intimidated by their distance and my game goes down the crapper:(

Are you talking about going from bent arm to a straight reachback? If so you can try changing it up, but I wouldn't expect much added distance.

Yes, I use the brad, Blake, beato bent arm but was thinking of switching to the scott stokley pointing method(straight reachback). Sad to hear I won't get much more distance from it but that's okay, I don't think I've topped out my bent arm distance as it's growing by the week. I was just thinking since nobody around here uses a full reachback that I should switch over at some point.

I actually disagree, I'm in the middle of re-vamping my game as we speak. I went from the "beato" style bent-arm and I'm working on using the reach-back technique:

on open holes (or fields) I've seen ~30-45ft increase in my drives. While that's an individual stat and not guaranteed results, a more general improvement is that the disc comes out of my hand with much greater speed without forcing or trying to bomb it. I go longer without tiring because it feels so effortless to put what used to be my max distance.

Also, my whole concept of stability was rocked. The Valkyrie used to be my line drive disc, now it does what innova's description says (long turnovers), and I'm working on learning the hyzer flip with it.

Finally, yes if you switch to a reach-back method your stance becomes very important. You align yourself with shoulders and feet because you have to take your eyes off target to get a full reach back. Something I'm working on now is learning to trust the shot and not try to "aim" the disc but rely on technique.

Hope this helps

Tried it today, worked okay for straight shots but my hyzers, hyzerflips, and anhyzers were off. I'm gonna save it for the field for now. Thanks

I actually disagree, I'm in the middle of re-vamping my game as we speak. I went from the "beato" style bent-arm and I'm working on using the reach-back technique:

on open holes (or fields) I've seen ~30-45ft increase in my drives. While that's an individual stat and not guaranteed results, a more general improvement is that the disc comes out of my hand with much greater speed without forcing or trying to bomb it. I go longer without tiring because it feels so effortless to put what used to be my max distance.

Also, my whole concept of stability was rocked. The Valkyrie used to be my line drive disc, now it does what innova's description says (long turnovers), and I'm working on learning the hyzer flip with it.

Finally, yes if you switch to a reach-back method your stance becomes very important. You align yourself with shoulders and feet because you have to take your eyes off target to get a full reach back. Something I'm working on now is learning to trust the shot and not try to "aim" the disc but rely on technique.

Hope this helps

In my personal experience, I would echo this whole post. However, my opinion is that the reach back hinders you more than it helps you if it becomes uncomfortable. If the full reach back feels stupid and awkward, then just reach as far as comfortable. For me, it's with my arm still a little bent at the elbow. Any further and I feel like I don't get as good of a weight transfer into the hit. My incipient knowledge FWIW.

In my personal experience, I would echo this whole post. However, my opinion is that the reach back hinders you more than it helps you if it becomes uncomfortable. If the full reach back feels stupid and awkward, then just reach as far as comfortable. For me, it's with my arm still a little bent at the elbow. Any further and I feel like I don't get as good of a weight transfer into the hit. My incipient knowledge FWIW.

yes and I've done that plenty of times, reached back so far I pull my body out of alignment and rhythm. I think it's an individual thing and will depend on your own flexibility and range of motion.

Of course I'll also short-arm it trying too hard to "aim" the disc, I feel like there's a sweet spot in there somewhere...getting to it consistently seems to be the game, lol.

Yes, my weight transfer, timing, and follow through were off due to the full.
I'm sure I can work out those kinks but I thnk I may prefer the bent arm as I can hit most needed distances with it.

Latest posts