• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When to move up?

leftyone

Birdie Member
So I've been playing disc golf since 2004 but more recently started playing tournaments. I don't play a ton of them 18 so far. Last year I won my first tournament in the MA40 division and my rating is 885 currently. What is your opinion on moving up to MPO40? I don't have a huge arm maybe 350 but I'm pretty consistent getting up and down from 200 and in. Last year really seemed like a break through year for me as I was consistently shooting at or under par in my casual rounds and my overall play was more consistent.

So I've been playing disc golf since 2004 but more recently started playing tournaments. I don't play a ton of them 18 so far. Last year I won my first tournament in the MA40 division and my rating is 885 currently. What is your opinion on moving up to MPO40? I don't have a huge arm maybe 350 but I'm pretty consistent getting up and down from 200 and in. Last year really seemed like a break through year for me as I was consistently shooting at or under par in my casual rounds and my overall play was more consistent.

Compare their scores to yours. Are you shooting good enough to win that division in your area if you play your best?

In some areas, it's a big jump to move up to MP40. If you're around 885, I'd suggest playing Intermediate to tackle a larger field with ratings just a step higher than yours to hone your competitive skills. If Intermediate plays the same course layouts as MP40, you'll be able to see what you have to shoot to score in the middle of the pack for MP40 in your area. Then decide accordingly when to move up.

I play with a guy who won the MP 40 Norman Pro-Am this year, he's rated around 990. I got my first rating last fall after playing almost 5 years and it's 875. Definitely plenty of dudes better than me in the MP 50 group so I'm fine staying with the amateurs.

I turn 60 this year so I might consider MP 60. Hoping to get that rating over 900 too. 💪

I looked at your page and your last tourney was pretty much every competitor's dream. Decent number of competitors, virtually everyone was close with 5 people within 4 strokes, and you won.

I think you'd be crazy to leave that.

Are you consistently finishing top 3 when you feel like you played like poop in fields of 10 or more? If the answer is yes - move on up. Don't take any one win or strong tournament as a sign to move up. Look to the mediocre days, where everything was just "meh, whatever." If those days result in consistently strong finishes, and you care about being pushed by your field - that's your sign.

That's the advice I provide anybody who asks this question.

Alot of older dudes stay am. This way you can play in both am or pro divisions. I also suggest challenging yourself in other divisions once in a while.

As a 40-49 year old pro you could still play in these divisions if your rating is lower than... Advanced <970, am40 < 935, Intermediate < 935, Rec < 900.

"This applies only to A, B, C, and L Tier events. Pros may NOT play in Amateur divisions in PDGA Majors."

https://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/tour-documents/divisions-ratings-and-points-factors

In the DFW area, the MP40 top 3 finishers are usually rated about 950. MP50 above 940. Wouldn't surprise me to find out we have one of the most competitive age protected divisions in the country.

Alot of older dudes stay am. This way you can play in both am or pro divisions. I also suggest challenging yourself in other divisions once in a while.

As a 40-49 year old pro you could still play in these divisions if your rating is lower than... Advanced <970, am40 < 935, Intermediate < 935, Rec < 900.

"This applies only to A, B, C, and L Tier events. Pros may NOT play in Amateur divisions in PDGA Majors."

https://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/tour-documents/divisions-ratings-and-points-factors

In the DFW area, the MP40 top 3 finishers are usually rated about 950. MP50 above 940. Wouldn't surprise me to find out we have one of the most competitive age protected divisions in the country.

this, know the rules, use them to your advantage

Thanks for all of your input guys, I do appreciate all of the advice and suggestions. With that being said i did talk to one of the local Pro's who is eligible to play MPO 40 because he has a good gauge on the local play His suggestion was to stick to the smaller tournaments and see how it goes avoid the larger tournaments at that level but play the am side of those. Im anticipating playing a little of both this year. There are 5 C tier's i plan on playing this year so the first one im going to register for MPO 40 and see where it goes. If i finish top half i'll continue playing MPO 40. if not i'll take a step back and reevaluate. There is also an Am A tier and a local points series that i anticipate playing. again i will look at my finishes and go from there.

So the next question, should i keep this post open and update it after each tournament?

Just keep in mind, if you cash ANY AMOUNT at all (and accept it), even if it's in a field of 1, you turn pro automatically.

but as stated above you can still play am if your rating is below a certain level.

This is also part of the reason I want to push myself. I currently have the flexibility to play all the way down to Rec based on my rating. I want to challenge myself but I do know there are guys I just can't compete with because they are that much better. I'm excited for this years challenge!!

Only you know when to move to another division. Unless you constantly hear people call you a bagger. Then it's obvious your community also knows.

This is also part of the reason I want to push myself. I currently have the flexibility to play all the way down to Rec based on my rating. I want to challenge myself but I do know there are guys I just can't compete with because they are that much better. I'm excited for this years challenge!!

keep in mind once you win cash and register as a pro you can no longer play the lower divisions as in rec or int regardless of how low you rating is.

keep in mind once you win cash and register as a pro you can no longer play the lower divisions as in rec or int regardless of how low you rating is.

Ive never played down in the rec level and i tend to stay local believe me if my rating gets above 900 ill gladly stay at the higher levels.

Untrue.

Competition Manual 2.04.A:
"Professionals may compete in Amateur divisions offered at PDGA A, B, and C Tier events, for which they qualify based on player rating, age, and gender as detailed in the PROS PLAYING AM section of the Divisions, Ratings, and Points Factors table."

Latest posts