• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When to retire your discs?

ChuckNorris

Hi,

I have a question about when to retire a disc. I have a few old innova dx's and play in an old gravel pit in Langley. The gravel has chewed up the edges of my discs pretty bad. Any tips to fix the discs or should I just retire the disc and upgrade to a tougher plastic? Also how badly does dings and chucks out of the disc affect the flight. I would assume greatly?

Thanks

the more the disc gets beat in, the more understable it becomes. if you play in rough terrain I would invest in some champion or star plastic.

Retire your discs when they're not giving you useful flight patterns any more. High speed drivers in DX will change a lot when they get chewed up like that, and tend to get really flippy. Putters, mids and some fairway drivers can take a ton of beating and fly even better than when they were new.

You could just roundhouse it back to overstable. You are Chuck Norris, after all.

I never retire discs because I only throw premium plastic except for putters. If I'm not feeling a disc for my bag anymore I will just throw it in the wayward children pile o discs. I did retire the mini I used to win my state Am championship this year (the mini from the year before when I came up short, a nice symbol for me) and have it up on the wall with the scorecards I kept and the prize envelope....in fact...
d7798e6fcaa24b2bfc00579b21b1837a.jpg

There it is

I retire a disc when I don't feel confident throwing it any more. That's usually when a disc reaches the "squirrely" stage of understable/flippiness.

this depends on the mold. your super OS workhorse either needs to be kept in good shape and protected or retired early and same with discs which are already very US and become nearly useless US. Some molds are useful forever basically where others need to be cycled more in order to maintain consistency.

I have retired a few discs, especially putters, when they just get so beat up, they don't work for me anymore. I have a Pro D Magnet, that looks like a dog chewed up the rim, and that was just from making thousands of putts with it. It finally got too flippy to putt with,and now it hangs on the wall. Also my Ace discs get retired.

Well, I imagine that, as Chuck Norris, most of your discs melt or catch fire the first time they are thrown. You must go though a lot of plastic.

When I come to a water hole and the darn thing dives in. I go get it and put it on the wall. Seriously, I think some one earlier stated when the disc fails to perform or you just have no confidence when you throw it, then it's time.

Sometimes the thrower changes and the disc is fine, If I hand it to an advanced player and the disc performs, then I am the issue and that's ok. At that point, it may be time to trade it away.

Don't retire them, use them as "I'm pretty sure I'm not getting over this water hazard" discs.

Why throw a disc you're no longer confident in, when you're already lacking the confidence that you'll clear the water? You're just doubling down on your lack of confidence. Throw whatever disc will get you there, and use your confidence in the disc you choose to motivate you not to lose it.

I don't retire discs and I still have some discs from when I just started that are still in the bag. They're a bit less stable now, and I use them less, but when I need them they are there. And I especially don't get rid of ace discs: they've proven their usefulness by going in from the tee.