• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When you first started, what was your disc acquisition strategy?

nnelson42

Bogey Member
I haven't been playing long (~3 months), but I now own 11 discs (12 if you include a DX Zephyr, but we use that before rounds to warm up):

DX Starfire
DX Valk
DX Gazelle
DX Leopard
DX Roc
DX Stingray
Star Mako
Pro D Buzzz
DX Aviar P & A
DX Rhyno
Pro Yeti

Other than the Star Mako and Pro Yeti, I haven't spent over $8 on any disc. I am fortunate enough to live near a disc golf store so I have had a chance to touch and feel the more expensive plastic, but between feel and cost (and not knowing completely what i'm doing) I decide to buy a bunch of cheap molds to try out.

Is this how most people start off? Am I doing a disservice to myself by messing around with a bunch of different discs?

I still will go out and play putter rounds by myself, but I usually bring the whole collection when I'm out on the course with my buddies.

Let me clarify

DX Starfire (almost never use)
DX Valk (go to driver)
DX Gazelle (longer range shots that need to be straight to left)
DX Leopard (longer range shots that need to be right to straight)
DX Roc (most used midrange disc)
DX Stingray (shots that need to turnover right)
Star Mako (just got it)
Pro D Buzzz (just got it)
DX Aviar P & A (first putter)
DX Rhyno (easiest disc to flick currently)
Pro Yeti (just got it)

My strategy was to buy every disc ever made.

Oh wait, that's still my strategy. :D

My strategy was to buy every disc ever made.

Oh wait, that's still my strategy. :D

ha! I feel you on that one!

I have stuck with innova early on here because they provide the greatest amount of information on their discs...from disc characteristics in 4 categories to actual flight charts. Makes things much simpler.

When I started out there wasn't a huge choice of discs. I went to a store and bought one of each of the lightning, innova and discraft discs and I played a round of golf with them and wrote their characteristics on each one. There were only about 10 available molds of each brand at that time.

I started out with a trip to Dick's at the behest of my buddy whom discovered the game. I ended up with a Valk, an Eagle (which I hated), and a Shark, all DX. After I realized I didn't have a putter, I got a DX Aviar (which I hated). Castle Hayne's trees rendered these pretty useless in quick fashion. I proceeded to be misinformed by an Innova Flight chart at PIAS and picked up a Star TeeRex that I couldn't throw at all. Eventually, I learned to FH it decently and picked up a Sidewinder for BH. I quickly dropped the Aviar for a SSS Warlock, then a SS Warlock. At some point I ended up with a Champ Aero, a DX Roc and a Star Coyote. More trial and error with drivers and eventually I found this site and discaroo and I lived in the marketplace long enough to try just about every mold out there.

no strategy
bought anything and just about everything
(looked at the flight chart..."I need a disc that does that flight"...while not being able to achieve such a flight with my ability)

only now do I have a strategy
because only now do I know what my throwing abilities are
because I have developed those abilities
and I know what discs I like

In 2000, when I started playing, I was looking for the 'best' disc for my game. I could only afford one at a time. So I went right past the stacks of CE plastic which I couldn't afford, and picked up a 'max diameter' Pro-D Tracer. Sharp wing profile, massive diameter, it ought to sail, right? o_O (At least it was a good roller) A few months later I added a Birdie. Still have them both. My game was garbage then, and still is. :D

Last edited:
Trial and a lot of errors. I started off with a champ Banshee (which I loved) and a sonic (which I broke). From there I went through the stages -

1. Try all the popular innova stuff (valk, roc, aviar, etc.). Dislike it all because I'm new and don't know how to throw. Write off Midranges as flat plastic poo.

2. Buy a bunch of speed 12 and 13 discs. Proceed to crank them 300ft on a 45 degree anhyzer super flex. Realize I am a driving God.

3. Realize I am not a driving God. Stop buying speed 12 and 13 discs in favor of fairway drivers. Eventually lose all the uberspeeders. Lose all the fairways too because I'm used to 45 degree anhyzer super flex shots and Eagles have no truck with those.

4. Get shamed (on DGCR) into using my Roc and realizing everything I read on here is true. Go broke buying and trying mids.

5. ????

6. Profit.:D

a hand me down climo cyclone(not this one but just like it)
and a borrowed xd for putting

T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiL0UBQTOV3Lupw60_35.jpg

the first strategy i came up with was to find out what each disc did, find out what holes were in my bag, fill that hole, then experiment with discs i found intriguing until all holes were happily filled.

this thread is somewhat related

instead of asking the question "how did you aquire your discs" it asks "how would you do it if you could do it over"

those aren't the exact quotes but you get the gist. that old thread might give you some ideas.

I was at WalMart and I had a Gazelle and Raven in my hand (both DX). The Raven said Ultra Long Range Distance Driver. Cannot beat that can you? I also had a choice between a Rhyno and Aviar, and with the picture of a Rhyno more imposing than the words Aviar, I went with that. Within a few months I added the Gazelle, a Dragon, and a Goblin, all because of pictures. Then I found a different store that sold higher quality discs and I purchased a dyed X Predator and X XS. The XS was great but the Predator was way too much for me.

Lesson: Do not buy discs based upon pictures and dyes. I was 30 at the time (6 years ago) and I should have known better, but it actually took me a year before I even decided to check the internet for information. After some research, I tried out the ESP Avenger SS, Sirius Orion LS, Z Buzzz (bar stamp, modified Wasp), and a Champion Gator. All of which were perfect for my game at the time.

When I started you were lucky to find any place selling them so you pretty much bought what they had. My first disc was a DX Barracuda. Next was a DX Raven and DX Birdie. Now I go off recommendation from here and the group I play with.

no strategy
bought anything and just about everything
(looked at the flight chart..."I need a disc that does that flight"...while not being able to achieve such a flight with my ability)

only now do I have a strategy
because only now do I know what my throwing abilities are
because I have developed those abilities
and I know what discs I like

^This. My first disc was one of the most overstable drivers on the market. Bad move for a noob. Then I looked at the Innova flight charts thinking the same thing as ManU, and wound up buying a TL. Shortly after hyzering said TL into some weeds, I bought another one. Then I bought every other disc that caught my fancy (most of which are not in my bag anymore). As for plastics? I always went premium because I quickly learned that I preferred wooded courses because the trees gave me something to complain about if I had a bad round instead of blaming my lack of distance potential. I only carried DX for holes with high lost disc potential. That's still the only reason I ever carry base plastic.

I know this will sound like off this world to you guys, but here is what I always do when I start something that I have no clue about :

I asked more experienced players and tried their discs.

Latest posts