• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When you're looking at the basket with your putter in hand..

majorsick1

Bogey Member
What are you thinking?

I'm in a big rut with putting, and I attribute it to having a hard time getting into focus prior to throwing.

I'm just curious about you guys' mental dialogue/focal point, etc....

im thinking... stick it already.. i pump twice 3rd time i throw

I'm on an upswing as far as putting goes, so I'll give you my 2 cents...

Are you asking about pre-routine AKA sizing up the putt, or after you have down your set up and you are ready to throw the putt?

I have trouble focusing as well, so I use the "focus on one particular link in the chain that you want to hit". I've just started to really lock into this and focus on that link even while I'm releasing my putt, and its helping me out a lot.

So basically since I'm giving myself something tangible to focus on, It helps keep out anything else that might distract me.

for me it goes even farther beyond the "chain" I am aiming at. I focus on making sure my hand/release is going to be on the proper line. I see the chain, see the line, and make sure I open my hand at the right point. I try to focus on all of those before and during the putt. I honestly think a lot of people could be better at putting if they really focused on where their hand is releasing the disc. I was shocked when I realized I was 10-20 degrees off left or right on almost every putt.

I've been putting pretty well lately. The key for me seems to be not over-thinking it. I step up to my lie, focus on a link, count to three and fire.

I hit a huge mental rut with that a couple weeks ago...I didn't even have the confidence to hit a 10' putt, and it culminated in me missing two of them in one round. I decided to get a real basket for practicing (a skill shot), and now I'm working my way through it and have pretty much come out of it...just made several great putts today and didn't miss a single easy one. It helps to have a real basket and not just a pole or some hanging chains to throw at, because I had previously underestimated the mental part of trying to throw into the basket. It took a lot of practice where I had to psyche myself out mentally to simulate the effects of real pressure. Now when that happens, I know that I'm probably going to short it, so I just imagine there's a big shrub between me and the basket and I try and throw over it. Just visualizing my line out of my peripheral vision like that is the best thing to think about when I start wigging out, but I still maintain my focus on a single chain link while I do it. Most of the time, when I'm not wigging out due to pressure, I just think about my motion of putting and releasing the disc cleanly and that's comfortable enough to keep me from tightening up. I'm able to do that more the more I practice.

my putting has improved a lot recently, even under 'pressure' in leagues and such. here's my trick for putts you should be making within say, 25-30 ft:

mark your lie. do NOT look at the basket, walk away 10-15 ft behind your marker.

wait your turn. when you're up, line up the putt 10 feet further back than the marker mini. take a look at the basket, aim at a link, pretend to shoot and imagine it going in.

put your head down (DO NOT LOOK AT THE BASKET), walk up to your mini and take your stance. head down still, get in a knees bent, ready position. take a breath, look up, and pick a link. do a check swing if you want, and fire.

i'm telling you.... by imagining the putt further back, when you line up for real the basket looks HUGE. it's also a great tool for clearing your mind, the same routine and motions will get you in the putt making mindset. this has dropped probably 4-5 strokes off my game consistently... now if only I could walk back 300ft on my drives. :lol:

I will leave breathing out of it because I try to keep breathing a fluid part of my whole game so...

I think Point - Focus - Throw

Point my plant (and off) foot at the pin.

Stare at the pole (or link) where I want my disc to go and don't lose that eye contact until the disc hits it.

Can it.

I was playing a tourny this past weekend and I was seconds from throwing when a mosquito flew into my mouth and I swallowed it. I threw it while I was swallowing the bug and canned the 25' putt for birdie. Right after I turn to this dude on my card and go, "Holy shit, I just ate a bug." to his reply of, "Yea but you canned it so good focus." Sorry, just wanted to share that anecdote. :)

Lately, I've made some putting adjustments that have worked out well for me. YMMV

1. Pre-tensioning the forearm: Holding the putter in both hands, practice the putting stroke while holding it back with your left. This simulates the quick wrist extension you need for accurate short arm putting

2. Pick your target: I like to pick the link just PAST the pole. No low putts!

3. RELAX: Step back from your mark and let the tension out of both your legs and your arm.

4. Step up and fire: Don't overthrow your putt! Just like driving, smooth is accurate AND far.

5. Practice how you putt, putt how you practice: I'm terrible at rapid fire putting but fairly solid with my routine.

I look at all the chains and the top to make an outline of them, look at the path to the basket, and then shoot through the middle of the outline like shooting through a tire. Works (almost) every time. Improved my putting from 75% to 85% accuracy.

Aubin said:
my putting has improved a lot recently, even under 'pressure' in leagues and such. here's my trick for putts you should be making within say, 25-30 ft:

mark your lie. do NOT look at the basket, walk away 10-15 ft behind your marker.

wait your turn. when you're up, line up the putt 10 feet further back than the marker mini. take a look at the basket, aim at a link, pretend to shoot and imagine it going in.

put your head down (DO NOT LOOK AT THE BASKET), walk up to your mini and take your stance. head down still, get in a knees bent, ready position. take a breath, look up, and pick a link. do a check swing if you want, and fire.

i'm telling you.... by imagining the putt further back, when you line up for real the basket looks HUGE. it's also a great tool for clearing your mind, the same routine and motions will get you in the putt making mindset. this has dropped probably 4-5 strokes off my game consistently... now if only I could walk back 300ft on my drives. :lol:

okay, apologies in advance, but boy, you must be killing the group you're with over that whole 2 putt routine :)

With that said, whatever works and isn't a violation, go for it. At some point, you'll be confident to make the putts without as much routine, I'm sure. Just keep at it. Seriously.

As for the original post:

Anything 30' and in you just need to remind yourself that *anybody* can make that shot. 30' isn't that far, there isn't any special technique to putting a disc in a basket from 30'. It's just a matter of letting your natural abilities and confidence take over.

Making those putts consistently takes some work, but you're not making a bunch in a row, you're making them one at a time, each in a different situation. You probably won't make every one of them in a round, but that's life. It has nothing to do with your game, it's just the way it goes sometimes. Keep your confidence up and you'll make a lot of putts. What you want going through your mind is anything positive about that disc going in the basket.

make sure my feet are in position, make sure my shoulders are squared up to the pole, and fire. which only takes me 2 seconds to figure that out. i aim and commit before i step up to my mini.

black udder said:
okay, apologies in advance, but boy, you must be killing the group you're with over that whole 2 putt routine :)

With that said, whatever works and isn't a violation, go for it. At some point, you'll be confident to make the putts without as much routine, I'm sure. Just keep at it. Seriously.

naw it's not that bad, goes very quickly actually no drag on the group at all; most folks ask what the hell i'm doing, try it and really like it!

Aubin said:
black udder said:

naw it's not that bad, goes very quickly actually no drag on the group at all; most folks ask what the hell i'm doing, try it and really like it!

That's good. Not being a jerk, but I've been in 4-somes in a tournament when 2 of the players are really slow and methodical on every shot and me and the other person were rolling our eyes by the 2nd 9. When it's in the 90's, you're dyin', you're backing up and there's nobody in front of you and you know that the reason you can't just move at a nice pace is the two folks taking almost 30 seconds for every throw while they go through a routine (and they're not a pro), then it's a long round. I'm not advocating hurrying, just not being overly lengthy with no visible benefit.

I used to have the longest routine, and people let me know. I have sped it up a lot (15 seconds or so) and it isn't a problem any more. I had to get to it on my own though. Saying something about it is fine if it is over 30 seconds (especially consistently), but if it is within the rules, there should be no mention in my opinion. It doesn't matter if they are pro or not.

The best way to create a routine in the most effective fashion is to get a book called "Putting Out of Your Mind" by Dr. Bob Rotella. He works with PGA players all the time and he has many mental tools to help get your head in the right place. Another book that I am enjoying right now is called "The 8 Traits of Champion Golfers". These books have very little to do with ball golf, and they are easily adapted to dg.

My routine is very similar to Aubin's where I start behind my mark by 10 feet or so, no real reason why I start back so far, just feels good. I choose a link and give an arm motion of putting with out my putter, feeling the disc go in. Then I will walk up to my mark and close my eyes (without looking at the basket - sometimes I will depending on feel) and visualize the disc hitting the exact link I am aiming for. Open my eyes and let them focus, rock back and forth and release. I don't have a real word that I repeat in my rounds, but I do like to use "aggressive, feel, allow" in my warm ups to get the right tempo and feel.

Each player will have their own preshot routine. The goal should be to get you in the right mental state to allow your body to do what it knows how to do, that's it.

Jordan

my mental thing is....i would tell myself "don't be afraid to over shoot" when i first started i was just terrible a putting and would be afraid to over shoot cause than i would have to make another putt rather than drop it in. now that my putting has gotten a bit better i just "go for it". cause i know if i miss high i could make my next putt unless something crazy happens like it rolls down a hill.

and i hate missing low cause i know i could have made it.

maks said:
my mental thing is....i would tell myself "don't be afraid to over shoot" when i first started i was just terrible a putting and would be afraid to over shoot cause than i would have to make another putt rather than drop it in. now that my putting has gotten a bit better i just "go for it". cause i know if i miss high i could make my next putt unless something crazy happens like it rolls down a hill.

I am just getting to this point. I watch other people on Youtube and stuff and I think, man, they just stick it in there. Trying to putt that way messes me up, but I've found that when I'm "on", I tend to putt that way incidentally. The more confident I get, the less tendency I have to leave it short and the more comfortable I feel just going for it. I'm not there yet, but having a practice basket has helped a lot with that problem by increasing my confidence and actually seeing what happens when I go for it and miss. Just today I hit basket like 6 times on the front 9, so I adjusted my thinking and started going for it, and I hit some great putts.

emiller3 said:
maks said:

I am just getting to this point. I watch other people on Youtube and stuff and I think, man, they just stick it in there. Trying to putt that way messes me up, but I've found that when I'm "on", I tend to putt that way incidentally. The more confident I get, the less tendency I have to leave it short and the more comfortable I feel just going for it. I'm not there yet, but having a practice basket has helped a lot with that problem by increasing my confidence and actually seeing what happens when I go for it and miss. Just today I hit basket like 6 times on the front 9, so I adjusted my thinking and started going for it, and I hit some great putts.

it helped me a ton..i think all players go through this at sometime.

Latest posts