• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are these scary courses you all play at?

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Every so often somebody mentions how scary a course is. Crackheads, thugs, etc. I have yet to visit a course like that. I did run across a "gentleman's club" once but never did my life feel threatened.

Woodson Park on the Southside of OKC is a little bit of a "gang hang" after dark. I've never felt threatened during a round. However, I've never played it alone either.

Rum Village Park here in south bend...its in the "hood" we actually finished a league night to see a few escalades circled around each other with some black folk boxing....they got caught by parks police and scared her off, she called the cops they came and they tried to run off but they got them...was quite a scene lol

more cops than golfers at whittier narrows. they are the biggest threat around here.

Haven't played it yet (9 open holes doesn't seem worth it now) but there's a course in Detroit off of davison. Though I haven't been to the course I'm sure it'll rival any posted

All of the courses in Kansas City, MO except for Water Works, (although even there you'll see some bums lounging around). Rosedale on the KS side isn't much better.

Its not so much that you'll be raped and murdered, but some of these parks or more specifically the neighborhoods surrounding them are known for having more hits on the local crime index. Obviously you're safer during the day and when there's a lot of fellow players around. Lock your car, and don't leave anything of value in view and you'll likely be fine.

All of the courses in Kansas City, MO except for Water Works, (although even there you'll see some bums lounging around). Rosedale on the KS side isn't much better.

Its not so much that you'll be raped and murdered, but some of these parks or more specifically the neighborhoods surrounding them are known for having more hits on the local crime index. Obviously you're safer during the day and when there's a lot of fellow players around. Lock your car, and don't leave anything of value in view and you'll likely be fine.

I'll have to remember that the next time I have to go to Nevada, MO. Maybe theres a course down there but always use the Kansas airport.

Druid Hill in Baltimore is in a bad neighborhood(ever seen the Wire?), although there are very few run ins on the course and the police check in often(and harass me). The course is very nice considering its location though and I play there at night by myself vigilantly because its the only course around me open after dark(til midnight).

sedgely woods in philly is in the middle of a mega-hood but the golfers don't seem to have too many problems. i think they found a body there years ago.

ditto druid hill in baltimore on both the hood and the body.

gillies creek in richmond is actually in a worse part of town than bryan but there have only been occasional probelms there- apparently earlier this year a few golfers got held up at gunpoint. gillies is where i started playing and any problems back then were strictly of the "hey white boy" variety.

redan just outside atlanta has a rep as somewhere you don't want to leave valuables in the car.

several of the charlotte courses are in less than nice parts of town.

I'll have to remember that the next time I have to go to Nevada, MO. Maybe theres a course down there but always use the Kansas airport.
I should point out when I say "all" of the parks, I'm referring to KCMO and KCK city proper. These would include Rosedale, Swope, Cliff Drive and Blue Valley. The parks where the suburban/rural courses are located are in much nicer areas.

But that being said, break ins can happen anywhere. Even some of your fellow DG'ers aren't the most scrupulous people in the world.

The only time I've ever been afraid for my safety was on Labor Day at Killborne Park, Charlotte, NC. Some kind of gang activities were going down, and there were four cops in the parking lot.

Brookside in Indy is the shadiest course I've ever played. The course itself is excellent, but the few times I've been there I've seen lots of suspicious activity and some shady characters lurking around. It's the only course I've ever played and not felt safe there.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=349&mode=rev
The 3rd review down by Grover sums it up pretty well.

Other Thoughts: The "locals" are an issue. But reading reviews where Washington Park gets raves and Brookside gets downgraded shows this can change. A police station was built into Washington and its made a huge difference, a little more police presence at Brookside could eliminate this issue in my opinion. Notable events include a kid trying to run off with my disc, my friends truck being broken into and his radio being stolen out of it, a PeeWee Football player's 300lb Mom not seeing me putt out at 6 and squatting by the bushes on the way to 7 for an interesting "Hey, how ya doin'?" moment with her panties down, a day laborer sleeping it off on the 7th Tee, and of course the oft-mentioned murder. If the locals would embrace the game (or at least respect it), this course would be a couple of easy upgrades away from being outstanding.

Globeville Landing in Denver. It is a course I go to once or twice a week (close to my house and fun tonepoles). this summer I have seen attack dogs being trained, found a used needle, used condoms, saw a couple having sex in the trees, and one day there was a random dance party in the fairway at 2 in the afternoon.

I should point out when I say "all" of the parks, I'm referring to KCMO and KCK city proper. These would include Rosedale, Swope, Cliff Drive and Blue Valley. The parks where the suburban/rural courses are located are in much nicer areas.

But that being said, break ins can happen anywhere. Even some of your fellow DG'ers aren't the most scrupulous people in the world.

I hear a body was found at Cliff Drive right before worlds. A bum, natural causes, not a murder or anything.

several of the charlotte courses are in less than nice parts of town.

Cordelia was a 9-holer that had a bunch of problems. Although it was one of the best 9-holers anywhere (#4 of 94 on my list) it had a reputation and great competing 18-holers and so it got no play. It got pulled.

Other than that, you have no reason to feel unsafe on any of the courses.

Sugaw Creek is in the worst neighborhood of all the courses, but it really is not bad at all. Ironically, the most car break-ins happen at Reedy Creek which is in the nicest area of any of the courses. It is just that the parking lot is so secluded.

Boyd Hill in Rock Hill has had some incidents including BigWaveDave from Wilmington getting mugged during the USDGC. I think they stole his cell phone, but the cops caught the kids about 10 minutes later.

Brookside in Indy is the shadiest course I've ever played. The course itself is excellent, but the few times I've been there I've seen lots of suspicious activity and some shady characters lurking around. It's the only course I've ever played and not felt safe there.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=349&mode=rev
The 3rd review down by Grover sums it up pretty well.

Brookside and nearby Washington Park are in tough neighborhoods, but neither is a problem to go play a round, I and many people I knew played there regularly without any issues at all. I've played a number of courses where reviews talked about how bad an area they were in, and never felt like I wasn't safe playing the course.

Here in Charlotte, there are two courses in particular that are not exactly in the best parts of town; Sugaw Creek and Kilborne. Sugaw Creek would likely be considered the worse of the two. I personally have never had any problems at either of these courses. I've played both of these courses many times alone and at no point did I ever feel that my safety was in jeopardy. I've yet to see any questionable activities or suspicious persons. I've played Sugaw well into the dark hours after AM league and never experienced a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky.

That's not to say that there isn't evidence of societal deviancy; especially at Sugaw. I've seen more discarded syringes and used condoms lying around than I care to count. Those are the things that make Sugaw creek a scary place in my opinion. Let's just say you want to be real careful when picking up your disc.