• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you headed in your disc golf journey?

Develop a forehand.
Practice finesse.
Keep practicing putting.
Start playing tournaments.

keep your palm up. biggest help to me when i learned proper technique and people ive taught fh to. and learn on understable discs

I used to be a competitive golfer that lived to play tournaments. Now, I just want to play for fun and leave the drama out. I may play a fun tournament here and there, but I think my days of taking the game seriously are behind me.

I would love to play more tournaments and be more competitive again, but the distance between me and tournaments, having a young family, and always the finances will probably continue to make that a pipe dream. In the meantime the last couple years I've just tried to enjoy myself, and keep at the level that I can keep up with anyone I play a fun round with.

I did the same as you several years ago (2009-2010 iirc). I didn't get to play in as many tournaments as I wanted but I did well. I practiced putting on a bullseye all the time. Midrange and putter upshot practice a lot during my casual solo rounds instead of just playing the course. I think the first year I did that was my best year, my rating went up to 96x, but I didn't stick with it because I got burned out too fast. It wasn't as fun for me after that year and I put too much pressure on myself.

The next season I played more tournaments out of town, didn't practice as much, didn't do really well in the tournaments, but had a blast traveling and playing different courses and meeting cool people. High competition golf can be fun but I found out over those years that it isn't really for me.

Thanks dude. At the end of the 2013, after practicing and playing obsessively all year and putting enormous pressure on myself to improve from sub 900 to 975+ (l0l), it happened to me too. I stopped having fun with disc golf almost altogether even in the most casual of situations, was burnt out and fed up with not "improving fast enough", and even got angry with my performance a couple of times which is uncharacteristic of me.

I guess this season I shouldn't put any pressure on myself to improve and just let whatever happens, happen. I should have fun when practicing. I should still play rounds and not be so results oriented or hardcore. If I shoot well, great. If I don't, so what? If I beat tough opponents, great. If I lose to someone I didn't expect to, good on them. If I have an effective tournament, perfect. If I blow up both rounds as I did in my second PDGA tournament, I should enjoy it anyway. Just put my time in knowing the course, preparing, practicing and it will pay off. Maybe not to the extent of my expectations but it always could have been worse. I will have to remind myself lol because this is a little against my nature but I need to do it.

So I pledge to myself that this season I will practice at the course pretty often, that I will practice my putting very regularly at home, and that I will be prepared for and play in at least BG AMs, Murray Open, Madisonville Open, and at least one other tournament I haven't been to this season.

Last edited:
Speaking of which...I still haven't begun preparing for BG AMs which is 3 months away. I still haven't even played any of the four courses lol...

I would love to play more tournaments and be more competitive again, but the distance between me and tournaments, having a young family, and always the finances will probably continue to make that a pipe dream. In the meantime the last couple years I've just tried to enjoy myself, and keep at the level that I can keep up with anyone I play a fun round with.

Yeah, you need to relocate to a more populated area.

Well, let's just say 2014 will go down as "The Lost Year".

Wife and I had our 1st baby just over a year ago. My dg buddy Enzy was busy planning his wedding and couldn't play as much. And my wife and I closed on our dream of buying a chunk of land in May. I was busy to say the least.

The only silver lining is that construction started on some dg holes on the 64 acres that we now call home. I'm hoping to get to 18 playable holes by the end of next year.

Just want to keep on keeping on. I've always been a gym rat, or shop rat or what have you depending on the medium. I just enjoy exploring techniques and seeing improvement(and then immediately moving on to something else). I need to toughen up mentally if I'm going to play more tourneys next year(not quite sure how to approach this) but I love to learn. Also on a related work/play note: I'm in the process of making high end hand forged ornamental baskets and I hope to finish a complete 18 by 2016(should my elbows/shoulders endure).

I plan to keep my tournaments down to 10 or less. I want to work on my 2-300' game. I'd also like to see my lhfh go to 250'. I'll also be adding rollers and overhands back into my game.

Putting will be my primary focus. I'd like to find a style that I can stick to. One that easily goes between spin and push putts. I'll also be adding the turbo back to my typical arsenal.

Well, let's just say 2014 will go down as "The Lost Year".

Wife and I had our 1st baby just over a year ago. My dg buddy Enzy was busy planning his wedding and couldn't play as much. And my wife and I closed on our dream of buying a chunk of land in May. I was busy to say the least.

The only silver lining is that construction started on some dg holes on the 64 acres that we now call home. I'm hoping to get to 18 playable holes by the end of next year.

A pivotal year, might be more like it, when you look back on it one day.

keep your palm up. biggest help to me when i learned proper technique and people ive taught fh to. and learn on understable discs

recently Ive tried slower discs but they tend to be deeper which feels awkward, and everything Ive been using is OS. I'll try some understable fairways manana at the field. Thx.

Same goals for 2015 as I had for 2014. Maybe this year I'll actually accomplish one of them.

1. Win my 1st tourney in MA1 division.
2. throw my first 1000+ rated tourney round. (971 is current highest)
3. make it an entire year without a single sub-900 rated tourney round.
4. spend more time doing field work.
5. spend more time putting in the backyard.

I was 929 rated going into 2014 and climbed to 939 before dropping recently to 934 to finish the year. In 2014 I slowed down my plastic and went back to throwing more lefty anhyzer shots and less forehand off the tee; although I still use forehand too if the situation calls for it. I've also increased my putting range and learned how to tomahawk comfortably within 200ft.

I feel like my game has improved in every aspect yet my tourney results this year were actually slightly worse than 2013. I've kinda hit a wall around 940 rating and I can tell that I need to practice smarter and more often to break through this 940 wall and keep pushing onward towards pro level. Hopefully I can find the time to accomplish this in 2015. Still hoping to keep up my 12 tourney per year average if the wifey lets me. :D

1. Improve my game. Last year I made the jump from Rec to Adv. masters too soon. Finished DFL in all but 1 tournament, so it's back to MA3 and the drawing board for me.
2. Meet new people & make some more friends. I really enjoy the camaraderie that disc golfers have.
3. possibly win a tournament or 2, place in the money at BG ams, & play a few new courses this year.

I've got to get better before I become a Grandmaster in 2016. There's some stiff competition here in the state in that division.

I would love to be able to improve my game to the point where I would be able to play advanced. I also would like to practice 10x as much as I have before. Throwing 400' would also be a fun milestone to hit as well.

I want to continue building confidence and skills base. I do not have the schedule that allows me to play very competitively I have actually only logged 1 sanctioned event in the last 7 years... But I still strive to be competitively locally, and feel like I can keep up with most the local talent to a degree.
I want to create the opportunity to play in a more competitive atmosphere more frequently this year. For now it looks like 2018 will be my year to dive the rest of the way back in...

I spent a lot of time late last year and early this year and i feel like I"ve started moving forward again. I threw my second 1000 rated round at a tourney last month but unlike the 1st time i threw one i didnt feel like i was playing over my head.

so the goal is to make that happen more consistently and get my rating up to 965+. I would like to be playing open in smaller tournaments by the end of the year next year, but i don't want the move to be arbitrary. I want it to be because i'm competitive at that level.

Spent a lot of time in 2014 with my putting. For me, 2014 was "The Year of the Putter". Spent a good protion of the year working out a new putting stroke, based loosely on Paul McBeth style. Still working on grip and stance and trying to make it my own.
Unfortunately, as I end 2014, my putting is not where I had hoped. Too much experimentation, too little confidence. Still working through some issues.

As for 2015, this is "The Year of the Drive". I am re-working my throw mechanics with a lot of help from HUB and SW posts and vids. Distance is a major issue with my game and I will not be satisfied until I can add some accurate distance. Right now, I can hit lines up to about 250-275', with a Star Tern or Mamba. My goal is to hit 300' lines with a Roc/mid-range. Making progress, but getting rid of old habits is tough.

i have a long list of things i want to accomplish in the sport in 2015.

2014 was my first year of truly dedicated disc golfing. Ive been playing for around five years but it was very casual, 3-5 discs, once, maybe twice a month.

2014 saw me buy a backpack style bag, carry a lot more discs, understand what they do and have improved to an under par player at both my local courses (new quarter park and newport news)

My hopes for 2015

Consistantly drive close to 400', i throw in the 325 area now, with the occasional bomb.
Putting - i plan on buying a cage so i can practice at home. i am useless from the edge of the circle. might as well lay up

Play a number of higher level tourneys

design 3-4 courses
play more tournaments
cash in all tournaments played
beat hysell some
beat CDA every time
beat Keith at GTI
field competitive teams for VTI and GTI and make the playoffs at one or the other
raise the bar for the Hawk Hollow Open
don't hurt back again