• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do I Begin?

swiftchariot

Hello All!

I've been playing for about 4 years and have been loving every moment of it. To give some background I started off like everyone else throwing noob hyzers 200 feet and had a break-thru in my 2nd year throwing about 300 consistently. I was about 890 rated and 3 years later I am 875 rated throwing about 300 consistently :wall:. When I first started I created a nasty habit of running up backwards. I since switched to a more sideways run up (or so I thought) but on video I noticed I just delay my backwardness until the end of the run-up:wall:. This run-up feels so comfortable to me and I feel like I get a good rip on the disc, but I look nothing like 950+ rated players and on a good day I will throw avr 350. I know I am missing something.

Unsatisfied with throwing 300-375 I decided to rebuild my swing. I am making it a point to not turn backwards until my back leg is planted. I have uploaded my latest form and I have some things I like to mention I am feeling with this new swing.

1) God help me the only thing I think about is not turning my back foot backwards during my run up. Very distracting. I noticed really the only way to do this is to not start my backswing so early.

2) Once I plant my BACK foot my FRONT plant foot moves forward until I am at the full reachback. Me going so slow means my plant foot is about 10 foot away from my back foot. I know my stride is too long.

3) The pull feels week and disjointed. I don't know if it's because I am not use to it or if I am doing it wrong.

https://youtu.be/t-erdVtkLDU

Last edited:
This video is very long with tons of detail, but it shows what you are doing.

You are collapsing onto/into your left leg and hip, rather than being balanced on top of the left leg to turn back. So essentially your torso and spine is tipping backward away from the target, rather than loading your body by actually turning away from the target on the leg.

For example, as soon as you start the backswing you can see how your arm/disc, shoulders, and head/spine move down and away from the target toward the ground.

Then at the instant your plant foot is about to hit the ground you have a super wide stance with your knees bowed outward...the "horse stance". It's very wide, stable, and because of that slow.

Considering this I think your arm gets to a pretty good position during the forward swing. But I think you're throwing upward/nose up because your spine was tilted so far back/away during the backswing and then it gets pushed forward and up on the way ahead.

I know I throw nose up because I can chuck a driver about 30 ft short of my driver. The correction I am thinking of making based on your advice is to be more upright and more forward.

I know I throw nose up because I can chuck a driver about 30 ft short of my driver. The correction I am thinking of making based on your advice is to be more upright and more forward.

Yes, more upright, more narrow, and let yourself get more forward with the whole body/spine. Don't think more forward with the upper body or chest, that will lead to tipping forward. Think that where the lower spine or belly button goes, the rest of the body will follow. So if your spine is upright or balanced above that, the rest of your torso should also get there in balance.

It won't feel as "powerful" or strong, but it will be quick.

Latest posts