• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you practice?

Very nice to pratice is a field with bales on it. You can drive an approach from bale to bale, shape lines around bales. Downside is that bales usually don't stay too long on a field...

And please - if you do that ask the farmer before you run around on his field!

Personally, I have a variety of practice locations.

But I don't have a net. I wish I did. I agree with the O.P. that a net can be a valuable tool for working on mechanics. I've also found and used them at tournaments, to loosen up without having to chase down my discs.

A few places, I've found a steep grassy hill next to flat ground that I can throw into, with almost the same result. Though it probably looks odd, ripping discs full speed right into the ground.

I know a lot of people like football fields, or soccer fields, or pretty much anywhere else you can go have a nice wide-open space to chuck discs. Where do you go, and why do you go there?

I started out going to a football field mostly; the measurements already being there was nice. It's usually mowed (even in the off-season). Mine has concrete behind both end zones (a long jump runway and a high jump pad).

Recently, though, I discovered a net batting cage. It is AWESOME!!! 600+ throws in 2 hours; where else can you do that? It's a tunnel shot that doesn't wreck your discs if you miss. Decent footing everywhere ... just everything I ever wanted out of a practice spot. Other than being able to tell where your disc would have gone (how far, how much fade, etc.), but that doesn't matter that much, right?

I want to throw on a golf driving range. I drive past one all the time, and think "That'd be awesome"

I normally do field work at a soccer complex in a park. Multiple soccer fields, for limitless distance in all directions. Great for really working on distance, since there is zero shot of losing a disc.

Usually use the field next to the 9 down the street from me, but as my distance improves, that's becoming less of an option. There's a playground right at the end of the field (about 320'), and now that I can actually rip out to 360'ish, it's becoming hairy. Still a great spot to work with mids and putters, though. Sheboygan has a flag football field that is GREAT for lettin' em fly. All marked out with lots of extra space at both ends...I just wish it wasn't a 15 minute drive.

4 places for drives - any of the local parks with football fields/soccer fields. we have a bunch of them, all within maybe a 2-3 minute drive. i drive because you never know who is going to be playing on them and then have to go to one of the other ones.

local 9-holer, garlough. great for practicing throwing from a standstill/approaching, since all but two of these are really just more like long approaches than full holes.

practice basket at the same place for putting.

i'm going to be a little discouraged during the winter, though. i think i'm going to try and find one of those indoor soccer complexes and see if they will let me throw.

Never done any "field work"... I have talked about it a bunch and think that it would be great but just end up heading to a course and playing some casual rounds. I am going to start doing it at some point, mostly to try and get the gf to go with me. I think it would be easier to try and show her a few things there when she isn't worried about her score for her round.

It has been easier not thinking of doing field work since I haven't bought a new mold for my bag since last summer so I have learned my discs pretty well.

I do have my Discatcher sport in the backyard for some short approaches and putting.

I know a lot of people like football fields, or soccer fields, or pretty much anywhere else you can go have a nice wide-open space to chuck discs. Where do you go, and why do you go there?

When I bought a house last summer, it was across the street from the elementary school (noticed that - kids will walk - nice! two playgrounds, nice!). I'm not sure if I noticed at the time, or absorbed the consequences, but I'm even closer to its big multi-purpose athletic field.

Throwing on the diagonal (which maybe has an elevation change of as much as ten feet, not too bad) the distance is maybe 350 feet or 375 feet downhill, with a nice parking lot for a tee pad. Maybe 325 uphill before you get to the parking lot. For me, for now, that's long enough. Hopefully some day I'll outgrow it for drives.

I putt in my front yard, where the city conveniently has a street light. Not huge elevation changes, but I can get maybe five feet by putting from the road. Sometimes I'll approach from the school fields across the street. Neither the fields or the street are very busy when I'm around (they get a certain number of after school athletic practices, but it's not too disruptive of my schedule).

I sometimes drag my basket across the street (Costco version of the InStep) to practice longer approaches.

What's it missing? Eventually, 400+ feet of length. And options for big uphills and downhills (but who has those?). It's also short on natural obstacles for practicing guarded drives, approaches, etc.

Otherwise, on the course, I practice mostly at Rogers Lakewood. Maybe two miles from my house.

I also appreciate practicing on courses with easier birdie chances, holes where it feels like I _should_ be scoring birdies instead of just working hard to maybe have a chance.

So, I sometimes play at nearby park-style courses (9 at Hawthorne, 18 at Purdue North Central) to work on that piece of my game (accurate drives, accurate mid-length shots, etc.).

For my drives and mids I use the first 4-5 holes at my home course because it's usually deserted and it's wide open and makes for great safari and I like to be able to aim for a basket. I have 2 portable baskets that I use in my backyard for putts going from somewhere around one to the other to minimize walking. I also have a homemade (mach III) basket in my basement that I use at night to practice putts when the urge hits. I like to play around the world (having to make 3 in a row to advance to next spot and missing 2 in a row sends me back to previous spot) on my basement basket to put a little more pressure on the putts. Me and buddies also play HORSE on a basket in there backyard which keeps the pressure on the putts.

My son and I do a lot field work at a local park about 6 blocks from my house. We bring a basket and just work on every aspect of the game. It really helps and it is just stupid fun to place your basket anywhere you want and make up crazy mandos, designing your own holes. After a year of playing, I can't think of one thing that has helped more than field work. Dubs are fun, playing for tags feels a bit like a tournament round, and casual rounds are a real good time with family and friends......but nothing feels better than a pressure situation in a tourney round and you step up and just KNOW you can make this shot because of the hundreds, or maybe thousands of times you have thrown it during field work.

Nobody's said it yet: I practice at the most accessible course I can find. I really am a stat addict, so I play disc golf at a course, rather than simply throwing in a field (even though I live adjacent to the local high school fields, and did that some early on). Sure, once you've played a couple of hundred rounds at your home course, it's a little dull, but so is field work. Creative safari golf at the less used courses is fun, too...and I can score that. :eek:

my disc golf practice typically is done on the couch with two Xbox accounts playing splitscreen Borderlands 2. I think that everyone only gets so many birdies in life and I want to get them when it counts.

my disc golf practice typically is done on the couch with two Xbox accounts playing splitscreen Borderlands 2. I think that everyone only gets so many birdies in life and I want to get them when it counts.

That's why I play everything par 1.

Where I practice is determined by what part of my game has dropped off and what tournaments might come up(the 5 a year I play).

Most putting practice happens at home in 10 minute intervals whenever I get bored with other stuff. Its also a nice way to start or end the day. Just get a zone and relax

All forehand practice happens on the course. It was my weakest shot for a while so I made an effort to learn how to shape lines on the course rather than in an open field. I can do anything I want with it up to 350-375 which happens to be about as far as anyone needs a forehand on a course.

Backhand practice happens all over the Disc Nation distribution center and driving range

My tournament practice usually consists of me focusing on shots I need for the event and throwing them in a field, on the tourney course, or on a similar course. Playing all week on a wide open course for a technical tournament usually isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
During the week, I use a sports complex near my house. They have about 5 soccer fields and a rugby field - all but 2 of the soccer fields have that shredded rubber/artificial all weather turf and the rugby field is never in use. I'll use the circles at either end zone (?) for practice on accuracy at various distances and also just sheer distance practice (1 end zone line through the opposite goal posts.

Putting practice happens in the back yard, whenever I can find the time.

Course management, discs selection, etc practice happens on the course(s) on the weekend. I rarely play 18 holes on a weekday.

rugby field. It is the only place in my town where we have baskets. ( only for putting practice, no course ). So I only practice shotmaking and driving and putting.