• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where have all the DGCR members gone ?

Oh great another self serving pity party thrown by Mando for Mando and wonders why this place is stale. Insult Tim? check. Whine about the internet? check. Being a self-serving assclown? check. Another classic Mando thread to bring in the millions of guest accounts.

You are living in the past, man. Timg doesn't own the site anymore. Get your head out of the sand.

I think the minimum requirement for a course to be eligible for the top 10 needs to be reduced from 21 down to 15 or 10 TR's. As it is now, it takes forever and a day to reach 21. Newer reviews should carry more weight than older ones.

What problem does that fix? How does that bring in new members?

I think I see what's happening here....

You are living in the past, man. Timg doesn't own the site anymore. Get your head out of the sand.

If and when you offer something positive about something other than Sugaree, it will be the first time that I've seen it.

There is activity in a variety of places.

You seem like a "glass is half empty, it looks like it's dirty, the water isn't cold enough and I don't even want water " kind of guy. That's okay. You be you. If that's not how you see yourself, maybe reflect on this a bit.

So, another thing I noticed is that there are not any west coast courses in the top ten ? Is that a reflection of the membership distribution, or lack of great courses ?

If Mando had been more consistent over the years in contributing his fine observational threads, such as this one, perhaps a larger community would have sprung up and jelled together around the nexus of his sage and humble insights.

Or math? 41 states don't have current "top-10 courses". The 3 west coast states included.
Good point. If the active members are clustered in those states, it stands to reason.

If Mando had been more consistent over the years in contributing his fine observational threads, such as this one, perhaps a larger community would have sprung up and jelled together around the nexus of his sage and humble insights.
LOL. I do love sarcasm.

Definitely some clique's round here.

Almost forgot my disclaimer: If any of this has been mentioned already, please forgive me.

From my own personal experience, the Forums section has become very clique-ish. The same handful of users generate most of the content. Why is that? Well, again from my own experience, there are a lot of keyboard cowboys on this site that are super quick to point out perceived errors or misstatements by others. This type of activity will tend to prevent many from offering their opinion on a myriad of issues. The "Are we taking Covid seriously" thread is a perfect example. I went back and reread a lot of the original thread. There was so much bad information being pushed on that thread by seemingly knowledgeable people. A lot of folks were demonized for "not following the science", while it turns out that "science" was feeding us a lot of bunk about many facts concerning the virus.

I still find it amazing some of the stupid things that were implemented because of Covid. Does anyone really feel that wiping down our grocery store purchases with bleach or having store aisles with one-way signs on each aisle, helped stop the virus? Masking was almost completely useless in stopping the spread. Keeping kids out of school was the most damaging thing we could have done to our school aged kids, and we are seeing the results of those lockdowns now. Probably the dumbest thing I saw was sanitizing baskets after a card holed out. What a joke that was, and did not do a thing to mitigate the virus.
(These are rhetorical statements and not intended to evoke a response)

I pretty much gave up on the forums after my experience with all the keyboard cowboys. I rarely post anything in the forums now (and when I do, some are quick to find fault, and comment on it). The phrase "If you can't say something nice, shut the F up" is clearly not followed by many. Because the question was asked about DGCR users, I thought I would offer my reasons about why I no longer "contribute" (at least in the forums). I still do "Updates" on conditions and the like. I still use DGCR to find new courses, and I much prefer the DGCR app for scoring, over the Udisc app, even though the DGCR app does not offer all the bells and whistles the Udisc app offers.

Did you notice how I got my points across without calling anyone by name or denigrating anyone directly? (You all know who you are.)

Don't forget reddit. Lowest common denominator.

Don't forget reddit. Lowest common denominator.

Everybody got older. Social media evolved. Dgcr stayed the same. Plus anonymity fuels new trolls and old ones, which gets old.

Site definitely has a lot to offer, but it's lost it's "coolness" imo

Reddit, bookface, udisc I think the "newer" communities have definitely taken out a chunk of traffic. Especially with push notifications.

We are all aging on an aging platform... so there is membership dwindle naturally but I don't think we have the influx of new members that we used to.

If you start googling weird questions like "ridge roller vs simian" or "the most stable ________" then many times people will be linked to "our" content so likely they stop in for a quick visit, that helps explain some quantity of guests. If they don't have a decent ad blocker they won't stick around. If they're younger they probably don't like the interface. If they were previously lurkers and not committed and got hit by the platform changes/ad wall they probably found other places to hang out.

Seriously you need to see what this looks like without a memebership/ad blocker. It's heinous

So, I used the most excellent DGCR data base to discover that half of DGCR members have 0 reviews and 0 courses played. That brings the 98,000 member count down to 49,000 actual users.

For an actual figuring of the number of users, you have to determine what they are here for. As I see it:

Guests - these are mainly people who were doing an online search for some disc golf topic and found a link this site. They don't want to join...they just want an answer to their question/issue.

Bots - these are the bots that search out certain topics and make responses (which are usually ads of some kind). Example: A post by a "person" that only has a single post and their comment has to do with ball golf.

Forum folks - these are people who had to sign up with DGCR but are only interested in the forums. I'm one of those. You won't see my name with any reviews or a list of courses played....I don't really go anywhere in the DGCR site other than the forums. If I could have just signed up for the forums and not for the main site, I would have. I'm sure there are lots of other folks that are just on DGCR for the forums.

DCGR Folks - these are the people who make use of the entire site because that is what they are here for.

So saying there are 49,000 actual users because that's how many post their courses played and submit reviews isn't accurate. Us 'forum only' folks are still active users....and many of us may use the site way much more than ones who post reviews and courses played.

I know the topic of weighted reviews has been beat to death, and everyone has their opinion, so I won't go there...but...I will say I think some new area of the site which discussed newer courses that are potentially top plays could be instituted. Title it "quickly climbing the rankings" or something more catchy. Give some of the new courses some extra attention, because that is what people are looking for if they are just visiting. Eagles Landing, Lake Marshall, etc.

Maybe another section which focuses perhaps on lesser known, but still great courses, like the course just played this weekend (which I had not heard of, but is on my list now), the Throw down the mountain course--I forget the name, or the Highbridge Hills complex--which apparently has several great tracks, though maybe none in the top ten?

Just some thoughts to drive more traffic (and hopefully retain some) to the site. Critique away...:)

I'm only here 'cuz DGR went away :D

I'll never understand people who get angsty that an online community isn't the biggest, most popular thing ever. Doubly so, when it's about a niche sport like disc golf. Do you want 49,000 randos talking on these forums? Do you want the added cost that would require the site owners to pass along to us, just to moderate them all?

Do you honestly care how many people are posting reviews of the same dozen courses near you, over and over? Why?

I'm only here 'cuz DGR went away :D

Ha. Samesies

Do you honestly care how many people are posting reviews of the same dozen courses near you, over and over? Why?

No, but I greatly appreciate people listing new courses near me, and posting reviews of courses I might want to play when traveling.

Latest posts