• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where have all the DGCR members gone ?

If someone has more posts in the watercooler than in the main forums or has contributed very little to nothing to the DGCR review side I usually don't think very highly of them or reply much to them.

:( I only contribute to 1 General Chat thread and have done 4 reviews in 16 years, but can I apply to 'grandfather in' as one of the cool kids?

AGB was just about the biggest time-waste thread of the last decade, but my hot dog and BBQ contributions should balance that out.

The moderation taking sides on political issues is a problem as well, they often influence discussions instead of being impartial and making sure conversations stay on track

As someone on the side that most people assume the moderators are taking, on the issue that is no doubt the one you're tiptoeing around here, I kinda feel the need to point something out.

The moderators have, literally hundreds of times over the last year and a half that I've been advocating and educating here, allowed people to take the other side - often to degrees that were quite severely in hateful territory. It is only relatively recently that they (by very little action of my own, though I can't speak to how much others have prodded) have started censuring (not censoring) those who say things in those discussions that are overtly abusive or harassing, or have used hate speech, and the like.

Meanwhile, I (who am one of the local champions of the issue) got disciplined for calling someone senile after they'd been hurling abuse and trolling me for the better part of an afternoon.

One of the moderators has skin in the game on that particular issue, and they still allow a great many things to be said that disagree with the side they back - as long as they aren't abusive, hateful, or overt trolling.

With as much as the mods let those against me on that issue say, the cries of unfairness or bias from that side of the issue ring pretty hollow - and come off reading like those commentors feel entitled to being unopposed on what is rapidly becoming (as silly as it may be) one of the more contentious, and hotly debated issues of our time. Frankly, you don't get to demand that. You're not any more entitled to unfettered expression of your opinion than I am - I'm just a lot more careful about how I word things than those who oppose me, because I know I have to be diplomatic in order to gain any ground, and so I get called out for it a lot less often.

Frankly, back to the topic of the thread, there's nothing particularly wrong with the level of participation here. Forums, by and large, have lost a ton of traffic to social media and sites like Reddit over the last decade. I've been posting on disc golf forums since the DGR days, and I was one of the more prolific commentors there as the science of form analysis was being created. We saw just about as much traffic there, back then, as we do here, today.

If there was a heyday for this site, and for forums, they both have passed - and that's okay. This forum will be around as long as its new owners deem it profitable enough to keep sucking up hosting and bandwidth costs. Some day it will go away, as all things do. The same is true of the course review side - which, having seen how outdated the UX is on it, was always going to fall by the wayside without any modernization. Disc Golf Scene started as a more modern take on the concept, and UDisc evolved on it from there. There's nothing wrong with having been part of what laid the foundation for the things that the modern apps do - just don't get stuck on the idea that what you have here has to remain as relevant as it was, back when it was relevant. That's putting an awful lot of emotional investment on something that was ephemeral from the very start.

That said, BBS'es were cooler than the internet has ever been, and I miss those days deeply... :D

Last edited:
Frankly, back to the topic of the thread, there's nothing particularly wrong with the level of participation here. Forums, by and large, have lost a ton of traffic to social media and sites like Reddit over the last decade. I've been posting on disc golf forums since the DGR days, and I was one of the more prolific commentors there as the science of form analysis was being created. We saw just about as much traffic there, back then, as we do here, today.

If there was a heyday for this site, and for forums, they both have passed - and that's okay. This forum will be around as long as its new owners deem it profitable enough to keep sucking up hosting and bandwidth costs. Some day it will go away, as all things do. The same is true of the course review side - which, having seen how outdated the UX is on it, was always going to fall by the wayside without any modernization. Disc Golf Scene started as a more modern take on the concept, and UDisc evolved on it from there. There's nothing wrong with having been part of what laid the foundation for the things that the modern apps do - just don't get stuck on the idea that what you have here has to remain as relevant as it was, back when it was relevant. That's putting an awful lot of emotional investment on something that was ephemeral from the very start.

That said, BBS'es were cooler than the internet has ever been, and I miss those days deeply... :D

BBS's were awesome. You kind of had to be in the know just to get started. Then once you got connected to your first BBS, you could usually download the directory of others. With those yellow pages, everything opened up (until someone at my house had to use the phone).

BBS's were awesome. You kind of had to be in the know just to get started. Then once you got connected to your first BBS, you could usually download the directory of others. With those yellow pages, everything opened up (until someone at my house had to use the phone).

And you didn't get into the good ones, unless you had a reputation for being worthy. 99% of who makes a mess of the internet wouldn't have gotten access to even the non-shady sections of any of the ones I used to frequent :D

Unrelated my infractions have expired.

Welcome back sgamerp. if it weren't for DGCR i'd have no realistically good desktop distractions at work. still in 2023 you can't find a good excuse for perusing your phone in the middle of middle of the workday and appear productive.

So I started running 3 days a week. My "off days" I would normally walk 3-5 miles. I decided to replace that with disc golf. I'm still bad.

it's only a matter of time before the "reliving the glory days" era of DGCR

Latest posts