• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where to go from here

hewittdallas

Eagle Member
Okay, I just picked the game up again (after having played a little in high school) and have acquired a few new discs. However, I want to actually learn how to throw this time and build a solid foundation. Here are my current discs. What should stay? What should go? What should be added?

Discraft Elite Z Avenger SS - 171g
Discraft Pro D Banger-GT - 169g
Discraft Pro D Buzzz - 173g
Innova DX Aviar - 169g
Innova Star Beast - 170g
Innova Champion Destroyer - 175g
Innova Pro Firebird - 173g
Innova DX Gazelle - 172g
Innova DX Shark - 169g
Innova Champion XD - 174g
Innova 12x TeeBird - 167g

Thanks!

Okay, I just picked the game up again (after having played a little in high school) and have acquired a few new discs. However, I want to actually learn how to throw this time and build a solid foundation. Here are my current discs. What should stay? What should go? What should be added?

Discraft Pro D Banger-GT - 169g
Discraft Pro D Buzzz - 173g
Innova DX Aviar - 169g
Innova DX Gazelle - 172g
Innova DX Shark - 169g
Innova Champion XD - 174g
Innova 12x TeeBird - 167g

Thanks!

About how far are you throwing? Otherwise I just say use these^^^ Maybe the Firebird.

more information is needed, but several of those discs are high speed, and should likely be dropped until you are throwing your slower discs, mids, very well. (the discs that technoic says would be decent)

this will teach you great form and control before you step up to the faster discs.

Completely forgot that. I try to throw primarily RHBH and can get over 300' but I am terribly inconsistent still. I also have a decent RHFH which I use the higher speed discs primarily for. I can often drive well over 350' this way, but my form it terrible and it usually makes me sore. The backhand is my priority.

Thanks for asking me to clarify, I knew I left something out.

The discs Technohic suggested are prefect. I wouldn't be too worried about how the Teebird flies, though. It may be difficult to flip and might not be the best for anhyzer shots until you're throwing farther and more consistantly. It won't hurt to throw it, just don't change what you're doing based on how it flies. Making sure the other discs he mentioned fly well is more important.

Personally I'm a big Valkyrie fan. If I were to go back in time and start over, it would be Valkyrie, Buzzz....and Rhyno maybe. Although when I started playing, the Buzzz wasn't even around yet and the Wasp was just about to debut...

I keep hearing great things about the Buzzz which is why I got one. However, I have not had the best experience with it so far. Honestly, I tend to dislike mids altogether, which probably reflects something wrong with my form.

I keep hearing great things about the Buzzz which is why I got one. However, I have not had the best experience with it so far. Honestly, I tend to dislike mids altogether, which probably reflects something wrong with my form.

That it does which tells me you should throw just the mids and putters for a while if you are serious about form.

That it does which tells me you should throw just the mids and putters for a while if you are serious about form.

That being said though, while the Buzzz is very popular and happens to be many players, myself included, mid of choice, that doesn't necessarily mean it's yours. I would work on the Buzzz, but if you can trade some of your faster discs for other mids, or borrow some from friends you play with.

The Roc is the other big popular mid, but there are a lot of different molds and runs which can make it confusing...in my opinion, but I know a ton of people who swear by them.

Coyote, Comet, Stingray, Coyote, Meteor, Gator, Core, Wasp, Cro, an dShockwave are all good mids. Maybe for one reason or another...hand size, style, etc., somethign would work better for you.

Well, that is good to hear. I am always looking for an excuse to head over to the local disc golf shop and spend some more money. I think the reason I have disliked mids is that I have larger hands and they just aren't very easy to grip, even with my fingers stacked or fanned. Putters and drivers have always been easier. Any mids jump to mind?

Just find one that feels good in your hand so you dont have that to complain about any more; then use it and your Banger and learn to shape lines.

I was just like you with the mids last year but now; if I can make it I actually want my mid (I use a Core) or putter because there is so much more control once you get used to them.

Well, that is good to hear. I am always looking for an excuse to head over to the local disc golf shop and spend some more money. I think the reason I have disliked mids is that I have larger hands and they just aren't very easy to grip, even with my fingers stacked or fanned. Putters and drivers have always been easier. Any mids jump to mind?

Finding a comfortable and useful grip on your midranges can be very difficult at first.

I'd recommend trying a spider because you said your putters are easier for you to grip. The spider is a great putter-to-mid transition.

I would suggest a core. The main reason I first picked it up is cause of how it felt in my hand.

The DX or KC Pro Roc.

The grip article on DGR might help out if you're having trouble with how mids feel in your hand. I didn't like them either until I fixed my grip.

This turned out to be amazing advice for the first day. I ran by the disc golf shop after work (yet again) and took a peek at the mids. They actually have a really good selection so I got to hold/feel pretty much everything mentioned. The guy working happens to be a really good player and he sold me on the Roc. It felt right and I tend to prefer slightly overstable putters/mids.

So I picked one up in DX plastic and made my way to my home course to try it out. It was a bit hard to not reach for a driver at all, but I played all 18 holes with the Roc and Banger-GT. My best score on this course is +5 and I usually shoot +7/8. Today, I pulled a +9 with the mid (which I had never thrown before today) and putter. Not going to lie, I was pretty happy by the end. I even joined up with a couple of guys with similar skill sets and was staying even on the drives.

Looking back, I sort of hated it at first but must admit you guys were definitely right about staying away from the drivers. I think I may actually try to go a few weeks playing like this because I saw such a dramatic overall improvement in my game. I probably could have scored much lower if I had already been more comfortable with the Roc. I am really looking forward to hitting the course tomorrow and continuing to build on this. Thanks again!

This turned out to be amazing advice for the first day. I ran by the disc golf shop after work (yet again) and took a peek at the mids. They actually have a really good selection so I got to hold/feel pretty much everything mentioned. The guy working happens to be a really good player and he sold me on the Roc. It felt right and I tend to prefer slightly overstable putters/mids.

So I picked one up in DX plastic and made my way to my home course to try it out. It was a bit hard to not reach for a driver at all, but I played all 18 holes with the Roc and Banger-GT. My best score on this course is +5 and I usually shoot +7/8. Today, I pulled a +9 with the mid (which I had never thrown before today) and putter. Not going to lie, I was pretty happy by the end. I even joined up with a couple of guys with similar skill sets and was staying even on the drives.

Looking back, I sort of hated it at first but must admit you guys were definitely right about staying away from the drivers. I think I may actually try to go a few weeks playing like this because I saw such a dramatic overall improvement in my game. I probably could have scored much lower if I had already been more comfortable with the Roc. I am really looking forward to hitting the course tomorrow and continuing to build on this. Thanks again!

I'm having the same experience. I recently picked up a dx Roc and started playing with only it and an Aviar. I tied my best score ever on my home course on my 2nd attempt at this. It's really helping my pathetic game.

I'm having the same experience. I recently picked up a dx Roc and started playing with only it and an Aviar. I tied my best score ever on my home course on my 2nd attempt at this. It's really helping my pathetic game.

I'm glad to hear someone else shares in my misery then. :)

It would be great to match my best score tomorrow, which is very realistic based on how I finished today. Sort of gets me excited about what could happen in a couple weeks when I get back to the drivers.

It felt right and I tend to prefer slightly overstable putters/mids.
The Force is strong with this one.

Putter and mid rounds are an excellent idea. Learning what you can do with those discs can be really enlightning. Getting comforable with them is nice because you can always go back to them to "re-find" your throw when drivers aren't working. However, don't be afraid of that Gazelle. Learning to throw a disc that requires a bit more nose down than a Roc, but not so much that's it's hard to throw is a good thing.

Latest posts