• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which course to play in Boston?

KDencker

I am traveling to Boston (Quincy), MA in two weeks and I have time to play one round. I looked at the map, and I really can't decide on Borderland State Park, Normandy Farms Campground, or Dacey Fields.

The closest one to me is Borderlands. I don't mine the pay to play. I love courses that require me to think my shot through. Wooded courses are the best.

Being from Florida, I would love to play on hills. Everything is so flat here. Only time I got to do that is when I went to Wa.

Side note: I bring a curse with me. I have played 3 different out-of-state courses. 2 were re-designed, 1 was pulled. Keep that in mind when picking.

I haven't played Normandy Farms Campground, but it looks very short and open.

Borderlands is a great course and a couple notches above Dacey Fields.

I think if you look at the ratings, the reviews, and probably everyone's opinion who have played all 3....all would agree.

If you have 2 extra hours for travel time (I doubt you do from what you say) and like hills and more of a departure from the FL courses you are used to (I have played most on the west coast), go to Maple Hill (and Pyramids is right next door) or Devens.

I am traveling to Boston (Quincy), MA in two weeks and I have time to play one round. I looked at the map, and I really can't decide on Borderland State Park, Normandy Farms Campground, or Dacey Fields.

The closest one to me is Borderlands. I don't mine the pay to play. I love courses that require me to think my shot through. Wooded courses are the best.

Being from Florida, I would love to play on hills. Everything is so flat here. Only time I got to do that is when I went to Wa.

Side note: I bring a curse with me. I have played 3 different out-of-state courses. 2 were re-designed, 1 was pulled. Keep that in mind when picking.

Borderland is well worth the $2 parking fee. If you're only going to play one course in that area, that's the one to play and it's not even close. Two baskets and two tees on every hole gives you multiple layout options, so if you have time for more than one round, you can play a second layout and see some entirely new looks.

By local standards, Borderland is relatively flat. But if Florida is your basis of comparison, it's should be plenty hilly for you. And it's plenty wooded too. Lots of shot shaping required. If you're only playing one round, block out 3-4 hours and play the blue to blue layout. It's the longest, but it also gives you plenty of that elevation change you're looking for and you can still get an idea of what the other tee and basket placements are all about.

Yeah, Borderland is probably the closest and best course in which to play. The tees are nice and it is well marked, as opposed to Dacey, which is marked but natural tees, which were ridiculously muudy last time I played it. Both will be hilly by FL standards.

I would definitely not go to Normandy. It is pitch and putt and is not worth $1 to play, let alone $12. From Quincy, Borderland is about 30 min. away, and Dacey is closer to an hour's drive. That does depend on traffic.

When are you looking at playing? If the timing is right I can show you the course. Do keep in mind that if you're going on a night after work, they have doubles on Wed. and a Thu. night singles league. The park closes at 8 so you must have your car out of there by then.

In any case welcome to Boston, and remember to pahk yah cah at Hahvahd Yahd.
Andrew

Borderlands is great.

I play Dacey Field often, not recommended it is muddy and very dense.

Newton Hill in Worcester is a fun course and extremely hilly, and of course Maple Hill and Pyramids in Leicester are both great courses. Marshal St shop is at Pyramids if you need discs as well!

I agree with everything Dave242 said. Otherwise, I think you would be most happy playing Borderland. I played there a few weeks ago, and hopefully it has dried up from the rain squall that hit the day before I played, but gets some standing water on a couple holes when a heavy rain hits. It is a fantastic course, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yep, of those three play Borderlands, but it is pretty darn flat. If you have the time and ability go to Devens. It will give you a totally different experience than Florida.

Latest posts