• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which do you prefer, GStar or Star?

GStar or Star?

• GStar

Votes: 38 22.0%
  • Star

Votes: 86 49.7%
  • Love them both

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Neither, I don't throw either.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
the main point is over time if you throw that disc for a whole round and continue to hit stuff its not going to hold up well to its original stability. I don't want to tune discs after any throws. Soft premium plastic discs should have solid shape retention/memory in my experience and don't need to be mangled b/c they don't warp.

What I do is if I hit a tree right after I check the disc to see if it has warped, if it has I just smash it back into shape right away, not a big deal really.

GStar positives

-Great grip even in cold
-Soft impacts off tree and other objects
-Hit and stick approaches

GStar negatives

-Warps fairly easily
-Too floppy for some

To me the positives outweigh the negatives especially in cold weather. That said I throw both along with Champion. I have no problem switching between plastics. I do wish they would run more Star options though, seems as if the majority still like the classic Star over GStar.

I like both, but I favor g star more out of the two. It's nice to have something that breakes in to a sweet spot fast without sacrificing durability. G star is great in the winter and is able to hit and stick nicely too. I have two discs in G star and I love them both.

I haven't had any warping issues with mine yet.

I haven't thrown many gstar discs, but the few I did throw were beat in and very under stable. I could see them being useful when new, but since getting some star plastic, I swear by it.

I voted both.

For the cold winter months, it's G-star. Star plastic is too stiff in the cold temperatures. G-star is too floppy for max speed drivers, but I don't throw them in the winter so it doesn't matter.

For normal temperatures, I go with regular star plastic (although I prefer Champion.)

I'll go off the chart and say innova's XG (xtra gummy) plastic is superior to both. After throwing an XG valkyrie for 2 seasons, it's flight path remains consistent. There is no change at all. It is also way more durable than either star or Gstar. Nothing seems to affect them. Even after countless tree hits, it looks like new.

It does seem to be a bit straighter than star or Gstar, (less fade and turn) but to me that's a good thing. It's the closest thing to a flat top 4x JK valkyrie that I have found.
If you enjoy gummy discs, I recommend it.

I voted both. G Star appears to be less durable, and it is most prominent in larger rim drivers, just like any (slightly) lower end plastic. I do like the grip and out of the box flight. My G* Teebird is nearly as long as DX birds and does have some turn when compared to a regular Star. The Wraith I have also flew great when fresh but after a couple good tree whacks it has been delegated to long turnover and tailwind duties.

I added three G*/Line discs to my bag last year- Gator, Teebird and PD- which has been the most significant change to my bag that's stuck in several years. I just love the plastic for the grip year round. They do beat in faster than Star, but I generally like discs to beat in for cycling purposes... except don't really want the Gator to lose stability so I grant that can be a downside. However, i used to have a Star Gator that beat too much after two years so it happens regardless. I still also bag Champ a Teebird and C-PD and P-PDs.

I don't currently carry any Star discs.

Bottom line- different plastic options are a good thing.

I like to play in the summer, and I like the stiffness level of standard star discs.

I'm gonna have to say G*. G* has been complimenting my champion plastic beautifully. Just wish they made as many discs in JL as they do in G*.....wtf innova!

I didn't have any issue last summer with my gstar being too floppy in the summer like many people claim. I think gstar is just a quality plastic blend.

So does G* beat in as quickly as Pro?

I have thrown some pro discs which are nearly as durable as star plastic (they even feel like a hard star plastic and have poor grip when new) which are just as durable at high speeds IMO as g*. I warped the hell out of a G* destroyer hitting a tree directly where the rim was pushed way down with the flight plate bubbled right above it. Next throw it was like a Vulcan and I never picked it back up.

Seems like "pro" plastic can range from horrible to great and maybe g* has some variance too in that sense. I know ive felt some where are very soft solid colors while others are more metallic looking and firmer.

GStar won't chunk and scuff like Pro, I skipped mine across the road once at Ham Lake #7, Hard pebble filled blacktop road. Could barely tell. Tree hits though, yeah the wing can get bent quickly. I just bend the crap out of it with my thumb and get it back into shape. Not a big deal for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts