• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which do you prefer, GStar or Star?

GStar or Star?

• GStar

Votes: 38 22.0%
  • Star

Votes: 86 49.7%
  • Love them both

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Neither, I don't throw either.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
Definitely some different variables to overall durability. I agree on most soft plastics not scuffing as easily but for PREMIUM labeled plastic, IMO, shape retention is a big part of durability. I can roll up a soft neutron ION into a burrito and its springs back to life in a few seconds while after a year+ of heavy driving the bead still looks great. Just like a gummy champion aviar or other similar plastics which truly define all aspects of durability from surface wear to shape retention.

I had to vote for both because they are both great disc and I feel like they both have have a place in the bag. G* for wooded courses and for added grip, but I still like the star for my drivers.

When I was carrying them, I liked the Star much more than the G*. G* feels just a little too floppy for me, and as others have said, tends to bend easy.

Most of my discs are in Gold Line Plastic now- love that stuff.

I'd like to see this poll after we've gone through summer and everyones gstar has gone to butter
Me too. Bookmark the idea and put that sucker out.

I threw Gstar last August and didn't have any major issues. Now, the only GStar in my bag at the time was a TL, and I brought it out under certain circumstances. I'm not sure how it would have performed as a plastic I used on all shots all the time, but it did well in the role I used it in, never getting too soft or pliable. I'm sure those people who live south of the Mason-Dixon line may have a different opinion of it in the summer however.

I do not bag G* so I could not say. All I know is that Pro plastic can hit a tree without deforming, so I would wager G* breaks in more quickly.
With a name like Thugnificent I'd think you'd be all up on some blingy OGstar plastic. :D

Last edited:
GStar sucks in Arizona heat. It's like trying to throw a undercooked pancake.

I'm surprised by these results. I have a G* Teebird and Leopard and they're my favorite Innova discs by far. It's mostly feel but the Leopard especially is really crisp with its turn and then fade.

Love them both. Star is a little stiffer (and more stable) and better for skips, G* is better for sit and squat. While it doesn't get TX hot up here in WA, I've never had a problem with them getting TOO floppy, actually I believe I remember seeing an interview with Dave stating how G* was one of the better plastics for holding it's stiffness throughout a wide range of temps - moreso than champ or star. As to durability, I've been blown away at how durable G* is, threw my G*DS full throttle square into a tree 15' off the tee and couldn't find a mark. Love the pearly depth on some of the G* putters and mids, and the swirly mixes in the star. Don't make me choose, they both have their place.

Regular Star. It's firmer and glides better. G Star is OK, but it kinda reminds me of FLX plastic by Discraft, which IMO glides like crap. I also don't like throwing a floppy disc.

Didn't find my answer in here and I don't feel like reading through other Gstar threads.

I just got a G* Boss yesterday and it feels like Blizzard. The rim is the same as "bubbles in the rim" Blizzard - there's no way this is durable.

Is my opinion the general consensus or did I get an oddball? **** feels cheap:mad:

It's not *completely* Blizzard - but if you've felt Blizzard or Starlite before there's no way you wouldn't think about it when holding mine. I'll see if I can't get a picture of it in the sunlight tomorrow...

I have noticed that too, and only in bosses. I have an f2 gstarlite boss at 160 and an f2 gstar boss at 169 and there are just as many tiny bubbles around the edge of the non-lite one as there are in the lite one. This seems to be unique to the boss, I have half a dozen other gstar drivers and none of them have this problem.

Fwiw its a lot more durable than other starlite or blizzard drivers I've thrown...the rim still splits open on a really hard rock hit but its a much smaller split and it takes a much harder rock hit to make it happen.

My 175 GStar Boss has no bubbles, so it does depend on weight. I've also noticed that the Boss mold requires more air bubbles then other molds to get it lighter, check out some Champs in the mid 160's, they'll usually have bubbles as well.

Yeah the boss is definitely one of the highest volume molds they make, extra wide rim and not shallow like a tern or mamba. Plus the abrupt shoulder means the rim is thicker further out towards the edge than something like the katana with a more gradual shoulder.

Still surprised they couldn't hit 169 without any less bubbles than 160. I thought gstar had a lower base density pre-metal salts than champion. Maybe thats why its an f2