• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Drivers for Power Throws

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Scenario.
4 months playing. using three drivers now. 2005 Discraft Elite Tracker, ESP Surge 1.7, and a Champion Monarch. Currently reached the 350-400ft plateau for drives in the past few weeks.With this gain I have noticed my fave disc, the Monarch, taking wicked high speed rollovers to the right. I throw RHBH. Too much power I assume.

Today as I am searching for my disc in the brush I find a brand new Champion Beast! About time for finding a sweet disc, and with no phone number on it. (yes, I would have called). Next hole, number 5 on Beast in Mason County, MI, I pull out the Beast and land that sucker farther than I ever have on that hole.

Ok...parse through that overdose of info...question, what discs would you all recommend me now looking into? I truly love the Beast. Maybe the Wraith? I am only semi-knowledgeable on the Innova line but willing to try anything.

The surge and wraith will be very similar. I'm thinking maybe avenger in Discraft, You're throwing with more power than I have so I can't be really sure. If you are leaning towards Innova tho try the destroyer.

I'm in the same distance range and really like both the Wraith and the Destroyer. The Wraith is supposed to be similar to the Surge though.

There is almost no such thing as "too much power". If there's a disc you can't throw, it's probably due to technique, which is totally normal for someone who's been throwing for less than a year. I wouldn't worry about finding the perfect disc so much as working on honing your technique down. If you are flipping the disc over, work on throwing it smoother, with less of a run-up and less "grunt" power. You'd be surprised how much distance and accuracy you can get from a controlled 70% SMOOTH drive.

With proper form, you can throw a mid range 400'.

Oh, and stop throwing everything but a Teebird for long drives! That's all you need :)

Oh, and stop throwing everything but a Teebird for long drives! That's all you need :)

Def got the less is more thing down. It's why I can still ease my Monarch down the line. Technique is a constant learning curve for sure.

Going with a Star Destroyer I think. As for the Teebird, too funny...as I found a Beast today, I lost my Teebird on the same course a few weeks ago. Was thinking about maybe grabbing the Teebird-L? Thoughts on that one?

I have just recently gotten the technique down to where I can throw nice drives consistently. I was using a 167g Champion Beast. I had a 175g Pro Destroyer but I couldn't throw that weight in that disc. I just got a wraith last weekend and instantly added 20 to 30 feet on my drives. I think I will eventually move up to the Destroyer but get a lighter weight.

I would guess that you moving to a destroyer would really help you.

If you like the beast you will love the wraith. It's a little faster and a little more stable but really straight if you rip it fast enough. I can consistently throw my 168 and 178 champion wraiths about 5-10' further and straighter than my champion destroyer. The wraith has a sharpness on the bottom of the rim that really sticks to your fingers and creates max spin.

Was thinking about maybe grabbing the Teebird-L? Thoughts on that one?

TL is great. However, I believe the Teebird is a little more versatile for throwers with more power. I would suggest that you get a champ or star Teebird, and then when you've beat that one in so that it just flies dead straight, you've basically got yourself a TL, and you can buy a new Teebird, the two discs along with a more overstable disc would basically cover all three major flight patterns necessary for most longer golf shots.

For drivers, all I carry is 2 Teebirds(in varying degrees of wear), a Tsunami, and a Predator. With those 4 drivers, there's really no line I feel can't hit.

Teebirds also both make fantastic rollers.

I'm a big fan of the Wraith as well and have been throwing it for a long time now.

I recently got a Monarch to play with and like you, noticed it is really easy to flip it over. I have to release the Monarch with a little bit of hyzer from the start to make sure it doesn't go hard right upon release.

you need have the most wide open of wide open shots (and maybe be throwing downhill) to have any chance of the Monarch to come back out of its highspeed turn. To me if you have lots of power it's sort of a finesse driver if you're gonna throw a long anhyzer and want it to maintain that turn for the entire flight. Because it has tremendous glide - if it gets up too high and starts coming out of it's turn it could go a ways before hitting the ground.

Ok...parse through that overdose of info...question, what discs would you all recommend me now looking into? I truly love the Beast. Maybe the Wraith? I am only semi-knowledgeable on the Innova line but willing to try anything.
It depends on what discs you're throwing 350-400' and if you're closer to the 350' or 400' mark. If you're throwing the discs mentioned in this thread closer to the 350' mark on golf lines then I'd recommend a Valkyrie, XS, Viking, Wildcat, Avenger or something along those lines. I'd also recommend working with your fairway drivers more.

If you're closer to the 350' mark with fairway drivers on golf lines and closer to the 400' with the discs mentioned, all the previous recommendations still stand, but even faster discs like the Crush, Orc, Wraith, Surge, etc. can be thrown in there as well. I'm not sure the fastest discs like the Destroyer, XCaliber and Force will really perform as well for you as these other discs.

I'm a big fan of the Wraith as well and have been throwing it for a long time now.

I recently got a Monarch to play with and like you, noticed it is really easy to flip it over. I have to release the Monarch with a little bit of hyzer from the start to make sure it doesn't go hard right upon release.

very good thread so far. Thanks. me learnded so much. :)

The Monarch has been the disc that has taught me technique and to slow things down. Incredible hyzer/anhyzer disc as it flies like it is on a rail, BUT two major downs...the high speed rollover and the glide sometimes after a bad throw. Have had to chase this disc down all over the place and it's always in a diff location from where you thought it landed. My first 400+ throw disc. a great tool in the bag.

i prefer innova discs. they make discs of all kinds and i find them to glide a lot better than discraft discs.

for example: i found a z tracker and thrown rhbh it dies right in the air, throw it flat with alot of speed and it drops vertically. (disc 90 degrees from being thrown flat).

although my discraft knowledge is limited, i dont care much for their discs

Latest posts