• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comment on my most recent technique ideas plz!

TheCPo

Internet distance is a thing! I see a lot of people boasting 350'+, even 450' who I know for a fact don't throw that because I've played with them! I'm no longer after distance, I'm after "golf lines" with full flights of the disc. I've seen plenty of people throw 20-30' further than me who force overstable discs over on anny and have the disc pan way far right before fading back left at the finish.

I've tried that method but found that getting into the woods it was not possible to repeat those lines, and thus I'd either hit trees all day or revert to throwing 260' in the woods on lines I never practice anyways.

So fighting for correct form over the past year, I've had to play the mental game as well of not letting distance become the scorecard for my game. Here are my findings.

I've found that the best way to throw for my body and consistency is a hyzerflip throw style. I am trying to have my spine angle between 10 and 11 o'clock, and my arm/disc angle between 7.5 and 9 o'clock. Throwing anhyzer has its place in my game, for huge turnovers that need to pan way right, but I'm not throwing it for a straight ahead landing zone.

Through understanding the speed and flight numbers of discs, I've discovered my arm speed is actually around 9 or 10. I would easily estimate that many "350'" throwers have a similar arm speed, but are using 14-speed drivers to force over for distance.

Now I'm reverting to more stable to understable discs that are somewhere between 7-10 speed, and throwing them on hyzer straight out in front of me to get them to flip up. I've found this so much more repeatable, trustworthy, and most importantly, straight. I've been able to throw a 158g MVP Relay (6-speed) about 310' straight as an arrow. I've been throwing my 165g Champion Beast 330', as far if not further than some of the higher speed discs (these are distances on a flat football field measured with a range finder, thrown on hyzerflip).

I think swallowing the pill of disc speed is difficult for so many players. We want to throw what we see the pros throw, and want to stick to overstable discs because that is all the pros carry. But I believe throwing these slower drivers (because they are drivers), is going to greatly increase my consistency, lower my scorecard, and even increase my distance as my form continues to improve.

What beginners have to understand is that even if you've been playing for 2 years, the bell curve of form has most players in a place where their speed is not over 10. Pros can throw higher speeds because they can throw higher speeds. They get a Destroyer to do what I could get a 7 speed with similar flight characteristics to do. Pros can flip up drivers because they are throwing so fast.

I hope with practice and disc discovery I can increase my speed while throwing on more repeatable lines. Instead of trying to muscle and then tweak my form that way.

If you have any great disc recommendations in the 7-9 speed range that are stable to understable and ideal for straight hyzerflips, please let me know!

Thanks for reading and responding!

Tons of wisdom in your process, but I have found that we are all very different. I have seen some crazy throws and styles in my disc golf travels. I know a very good golfer that throws the above described anny force over to GREAT success. I have seen some of the goofiest putting styles that smash chains over and over. Find what works for you and practice.

I honestly agree with Simon who says everyone should start just throwing putters. I feel like you can really see your mistakes so easily throwing putters. Flutter by strong arming shows itself much easier and when you discover how to throw/fling the disc you will be amazed by how the disc flies and just how far you can get a putter to fly on different lines.

Also, I think anhyzer putter/mid shots are a very valuable shot. I agree that most beginners just throw big anhyzers for more distance especially those that start throwing sidearm first because it's the only way they can get a high speed disc any distance!

Nikko Locastro disagrees.

haha yes, he would prob punch me too, but Nikko got his 10,000 hours prob 10 years before I even discovered the sport!

I see very few pros throwing like Nikko does, and you see him stand out the most at the Preserve where there are very open tee boxes/holes.

I understand that I'm nothing like any pro when it comes to arm speed, and I never will be, but if I could replicate some consistency at a certain, shorter distance (350'-400'), I imagine it coming from the slower speed hyzerflip shots.

I'll take anything from Nikko's game :D

I honestly agree with Simon who says everyone should start just throwing putters.

Not disagreeing, but throwing putters has its own set of form issues. If you were to throw putters exclusively for three years and then break out a driver you may be dismayed how your high nose up release doesn't pan out for you. Ultimate players moving to disc golf may have some good input on this.

yeah I think the putter idea is great in theory but hard to stick to! what I do believe is that your putter throwing distance is a good measurement of your "ceiling" for other discs. Like putter distance is your throwing form's "floor", so if you raise that floor you're bound to raise your ceiling.

Great comment cpo

I've noticed similar things. I am used to playing in slightly open courses with some challenging woods in Georgia. Now that I have lived in Charlotte for a couple months I am adapting to 100% woods golf. The most important shot I have found is what can I throw dead straight 200+ feet. (My 200ft is the pros 350ft+ dead straight shot lol). I have resorted to throwing a lot of putters in the woods. What I am really trying to get down is a throw that is 300ish feet through the woods. That will take a 7ish speed for me that doesn't flair hard to the right (I'm a lefty). So I am in a similar boat as you cpo trying to get a solid 300ft throw that stays straight and finishes straight and soft after releasing it on hyzer.

Throwing putter only rounds really improved my angle of release with drivers.

I didn't have any trouble shaping shots before putter rounds, those rounds just had the unexpected bonus of fine tuning my shot shaping, and learning to throw higher lines.

Last edited:
I've been able to throw a 158g MVP Relay (6-speed) about 310' straight as an arrow.

I cannot wait for reasonable temperatures and melting snow to go out and throw my Relay. If I could throw it 310' straight as an arrow in low ceiling, I would be ecstatic. If you can throw a Relay 310', I am sure you could throw a Thrasher or even a Relativity over 400', but you're right - you lose control. Slight wind and that 400' is way to the right. It is unfortunate that recommending discs is so difficult because of variations within a mold. A Sidewinder is like a longer Relay. A Thrasher (or Relativity) is like a longer Sidewinder.

But I use Pharaohs. They turn over just enough to hep me. One is more overstable, two stable, one understable. I have two D2s one flies a lot like the stable Pharaoh one flies more overstable like a Defender. I have measured throws over 450' in the field. On the course I can overshoot 380' holes if I don't hit trees, but can't imagine throwing 450' in a helpful direction with regularity. None of the local holes are 'wide open'.

'Always' and 'never' are extreme demands. If someone can throw an Eagle 300' and flex a Ballista Pro 375', in the direction they want it to go, then telling that person to throw putters only isn't too productive. Paul Uliberry addressed this a few live shows ago. He coaches people to throw all types of discs because they are all thrown differently.

I think swallowing the pill of disc speed is difficult for so many players. We want to throw what we see the pros throw, and want to stick to overstable discs because that is all the pros carry.

Pros rely on over stabilty for sure, but I'd be surprised if 95% of the shots thrown by pros were not speed 9 or less with the majority of the throws being mid ranges.

Pros rely on over stabilty for sure, but I'd be surprised if 95% of the shots thrown by pros were not speed 9 or less with the majority of the throws being mid ranges.

And pros throw overstable discs that, for them, fly as almost neutral to stable. We can do the same by throwing discs that fly neutral to stable for us.

Latest posts