• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Famous Athlete would Dominate Disc Golf?

I would pick a tennis player. Same motion for the backhand and overhand (serve).

Not Djokovic because he has a two-handed backhand (that would look weird on a disc golf course :D:D:D). The one player with that monster one-handed backhand and forehand would be Stan Wawrinka (he can hit winners from everywhere).

Paul McBeth and Ricky Wysocki both play baseball, so a baseball player would be fine (but I'm not american so I don't care about baseball and I don't know any player).

I may also pick a complete athlete, maybe someone doing rowing (coordination, fitness and mental).

'The Big Unit' Randy Johnson. Big 6'10 lefty throwing upwards of 100 MPH with a 3/4 to sidearm delivery. This dude would absolutely crush some forehand drives.

I dont know how she'd be at disc golf and frankly I dont care, but I want to see Jenny Finch play.

Uriah Faber would probably be good though.

I'd go with a list of world-class stars in baseball, tennis, boxing...to rise to the top of those, you'd naturally have the quick twitch muscle type to be good at disc golf driving.

And then I'd sort through and pick one of those who also happens to be a really good shooter on the basketball court on some level (high school or college player maybe?), so that they have a fine sense of touch to be a good putter.

As much as I like Michael Phelps, I don't think the natural gifts of world-class swimmers (incredible endurance strength over thousands of reps, and insane lung capacity) would necessarily translate to disc golf.

A long, lean, lanky, flexible pitcher, like Tim Lincecum or Justin Verlander, or perhaps Randy Johnson if he were younger, would be a good candidate. Big-armed outfielders would also be good candidates, like Jeff Francoeur or Yasiel Puig. Bo Jackson in his heyday would have "Known" disc golf if he'd have tried it.

I bet watching Bo putt would be funny though.

Since no one has stated the obvious, Ma Long. Parks 700' holes with a forehand roller. Probably straddle putts 100' and in.

Ma Long is a monster of table tennis, but I'm not sure his skills would translate all that well. He could probably get some awesome snap on his release, but I'd put him in a camp with Michael Phelps, where they've got certain physical gifts that would translate, but within their own sports, throwing for distance with a deep pull across the body doesn't really exist in the way it does for baseball players. There are probably some top martial artists who could do well -- Bruce Lee's lightning hands and powerful kicking comes to mind -- but I don't know enough about the current top competitors to name anyone.

A long, lean, lanky, flexible pitcher, like Tim Lincecum or Justin Verlander, or perhaps Randy Johnson if he were younger, would be a good candidate. Big-armed outfielders would also be good candidates, like Jeff Francoeur or Yasiel Puig. Bo Jackson in his heyday would have "Known" disc golf if he'd have tried it.

I already beat Randy Johnson in a round of ball golf. Would like to see him throw a thumber, though.

Daniel Bryan, he is too beat up for wrestling but disc golf might be easier on him, plus I would love to see the look of the pros faces at something like Fountain Hills or Winthrop with a bunch of fans doing the yes chant when he comes to tee off. LOL

Honestly literally any of them...there aren't really any true "Athletes" playing the game right now. There is no reason for them to. But the level of commitment they have as well as freak bodies...it's over imo. This is all fine and dandy right now. But if it ever gets big enough that some people would seriously consider it over football/baseball/basketball...there is not a single person on tour right now that could stack up.

For instance...Calvin Johnson...one of the most freakishly athletic people I have ever seen in my life...imagine if he devoted his time to discgolf instead of football. Just sayin...

Honestly literally any of them...there aren't really any true "Athletes" playing the game right now. There is no reason for them to. But the level of commitment they have as well as freak bodies...it's over imo. This is all fine and dandy right now. But if it ever gets big enough that some people would seriously consider it over football/baseball/basketball...there is not a single person on tour right now that could stack up.

For instance...Calvin Johnson...one of the most freakishly athletic people I have ever seen in my life...imagine if he devoted his time to discgolf instead of football. Just sayin...

Of course any sport or activity would get much more competitive if every athletic young person devoted themselves to it. So your point is very valid. But I would disagree that to say because Megatron is large, strong and can catch extremely well that he would be on top of the DG heap if he wanted to be. Would he also be the best placekicker, QB, or RB?

Consider that a giant sample size of young athletes play Baseball, Football, Soccer, Golf, and Basketball. And yet very few of them make their Varsity team. Even fewer make it to College, even fewer a starter at a D1 School, even fewer to the professional level. And even after all of that whittling down, there are standout all-stars in the pros.

So who would be the stand out all stars in DG? Megatron may be my top pick for WR, but would he be for DG? Probably not.

Sidenote: Don't discount the athleticism of guys like McBeth, Lizotte and Wysocki. Not every great MLB pitcher is randy johnson sized.

Latest posts