• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which found disc surprised you and went in your bag?

There's casually finding discs (someone left it in plain sight and forgot to pick it up), and then there's going the extra mile and searching some nasty **** for discs that have been there for 6 months or longer. Many of the discs I find are in the latter category. In lakes or streams that no one else will ever bother to search. Discs covered in moss and mud that take some real effort to uncover.

Do I feel guilty about keeping those? Nope, not at all. Someone tossed it there and obviously had zero intention of ever looking for it or seeing it again.

Obviously things are different if you're picking off discs that people have obviously forgotten in the middle of courses.

My point is, if you chuck a disc into some gnarly water and don't go look for it, don't expect someone to do the heavy lifting to locate it and then feel obligated to call you. Anyone willing to traipse through 4' of brackish water to find some discs should be entitled to them.

Let's respect the thread's OP and not do this thing about who deserves a lost disc... DGCR has talked about it in length elsewhere...

G Star Valk I found that was practicality brand new. No name and no one else on the course. I already bagged a Star so this was an easy decision to bag.

Let's respect the thread's OP and not do this thing about who deserves a lost disc... DGCR has talked about it in length elsewhere...

I agree. Champion X Caliber. Found in a murky pond. No ink on it. I had thrown a Star XCal a bit and never got super into it, but I'm loving the Champ. Just the perfect combination of overstability and glide. When you absolutely can't have the disc flip over but still want distance it has proven to be a great choice.

Lat 64 Diamond has become my backup for Sidewinders which I've been throwing since they came out.

I found a beautiful Champ Banshee fly-dye a few years back. I use it for thumbers, tommys and rollers. Absolutely love it. A main staple in my bag no doubt

Found a 175g thunderbird in the mud at the edge of a creek last year while searching for my disc at an out-of-town course. Texted the number on the disc, but the guy said he had already replaced it so I could keep it.

At the time I was about 2 months into playing disc golf and a heavy thunderbird was WAY too much disc for me, but now I keep it in my bag and it was responsible for getting me 2 tap-in birdies at my most recent tournament! I'm so glad I held onto it!

Early on I found a lightweight Champ Roadrunner. It was perfect for me at that time and I used it for quite awhile before gifting it on to another beginner about 6 months in to my DG life. Found a Lucid Defender not long ago, way too much disc for me now and probably forever. I have used it for a few tomahawks though and it works great for that. It's in the bag simply because I have space and I might occasionally need a max distance overhead.

Found a Sidewinder in a dried-up water hazard around Christmas last year. Texted the number inked on it, and the original owner didn't want it back. I use it on unfamiliar courses with water hazards, figuring if it ends up in the drink, that's just where it was supposed to be. It's considerably more stable than any other Sidewinder I've ever seen; maybe from being in the water for months (at least).

One of my first rounds, I found a DX Valkyrie under the long grasses. I threw that for about a year, until it got a chunk of the rim cut off.

I have tried a few other Valks over time, but none stuck. I think I was just happy to have a disc of my own back then.....

Old flat top Champion Panther. I never really considered a Panther, but the old flat, pearly runs (or at least this one) are amazing little woods discs.

I actually lost mine for several years and they are impossible to find. I saw a guy using one at our last night of league "closest to the Jeep" challenge where 20-30 drunk disc golfers throw CTPs (stick shift being the decider) at a local guys beat up Jeep. It may even had been mine given it was the same grass green. He was using it because of the concrete and he did not want to beat up his actual discs. A simple "can I have that" worked in my favor. It's still in my bag. So money.

Years ago I found a DX Stingray with a two inch crack in the middle of the flight plate. The rim was intact and it still flew well. This was my first Stingray, which I kept in my bag until a tree hit caused the crack to expand to the rim. I still carry a DX Stingray (albeit a different one) which I use mostly for rollers.

Found a 148gr starlite Wraith, after a few throws, it went immediately in the bag. Was an amazing disc until I lost it.

175g Star Beast. Pleasant surprise for backhands (I probably shouldn't throw much over speed 10 anyway) but even more surprising at forehands. Of course, it also taught me not to bring a Beast out of the bag in even the most pathetic of headwinds.

Also a 175g Star Valkyrie (F2) that the owner let me keep. I had purchased a Champion Valk which works fine but is a lot flippier. This max weight star Valk blew my concept of Champ always being more overstable, and became a regular forehand and backhand disc in the woods.

Unfortunately, I lost both of these! I've bought a couple more Beasts, but haven't tried to find a replacement Valk yet.

Last edited:
Early on I found a beat Innova Moray that truly taught me the hyzer flip. More recently an Opto Trident that is a solid backup for my Firebirds.

None.
I don't throw OPP.

:|

Even if they don't have a name and number on it? And it surprises me how many of the discs I've found were like that. I would say 1/4-1/3 of the discs I've found were void of any contact info. It sucks they lost a disc, but there's not much more I can do than test it and potentially use it.

Latest posts