• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Which high speed driver mold is the least consistent (from disc to disc)?

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I'm curious to see what everyone feels is the LEAST consistent high speed driver mold out there. By that I mean stability and glide being wildly different from disc to disc.

One mold that stands out for me is the Sheriff. I've thrown 4 Sheriffs, all in decent condition. 2 Lucids, a Fuzion, and a Biofuzion. 1 Lucid glides poorly and has no high speed turn. It flies like an Enforcer. Another Lucid glides well and flexes out pretty decently. The Fuzion Sheriff was an absolute monster. Easy high speed turn, but it wasn't totally flippy. This thing would flex out for massive distance. The Biofuzion Sheriff is perhaps the flippiest driver I've ever thrown. If you put ANY arm on it it immediately cuts hard and rolls.

I guess my point is, when you buy a Sheriff it seems like you have no clue what you're getting. I've thrown 4 different ones and they're all noticeably different from each other. I know high speed driver molds have inconsistency, but with the Sheriff its ridiculous.

Honorable mention here would be the Nuke SS or Vulcan. Those molds can be all over the place for stability and glide. I've seen some beefy Vulcans and Nuke SSs.

If different varieties of plastic can be factored, as you did, then I would say the Innova Ape. Regular Champion Apes are very reliably overstable. Super light weight Blizzard Apes obviously are not as reliably overstable. And, the DX Apes that I have thrown, right up to max weight, flip pretty easily.

I'm curious to see what everyone feels is the LEAST consistent high speed driver mold out there. By that I mean stability and glide being wildly different from disc to disc.

One mold that stands out for me is the Sheriff. I've thrown 4 Sheriffs, all in decent condition. 2 Lucids, a Fuzion, and a Biofuzion. 1 Lucid glides poorly and has no high speed turn. It flies like an Enforcer. Another Lucid glides well and flexes out pretty decently. The Fuzion Sheriff was an absolute monster. Easy high speed turn, but it wasn't totally flippy. This thing would flex out for massive distance. The Biofuzion Sheriff is perhaps the flippiest driver I've ever thrown. If you put ANY arm on it it immediately cuts hard and rolls.

I guess my point is, when you buy a Sheriff it seems like you have no clue what you're getting. I've thrown 4 different ones and they're all noticeably different from each other. I know high speed driver molds have inconsistency, but with the Sheriff its ridiculous.

Honorable mention here would be the Nuke SS or Vulcan. Those molds can be all over the place for stability and glide. I've seen some beefy Vulcans and Nuke SSs.

You didn't say the Renegade?!?! ;) :D

I only have one Sparkle Lucid Sheriff and one Fuzion Sheriff, and while the Sparkle is more OS, the discs aren't that wildly different. I would not mind having a Biofuzion Sheriif that is as flippy/understable as you describe yours to be; I bet my noodle arm would love it. :thmbup:

As to what mold is the most inconsistent, just insert any driver name here ________. They all have variances, and will as long as the earth provides temperature differences during the cooling process. For me personally and the discs I own and use, the Waves I have are totally inconsistent.

The worst offenders have to be the groove, the flow, the dominator and if it were still available The Prometheus.

As someone said above the flies incredibly different in every plastic type. And many other disk do this, but with in that plastic type they are fairly consistent. The ones that I listed no matter what plastic they are molded and can be very unpredictable from one disc to the next even within the same run.

Least consistent often has a negative connotation, but I think once you get the "inconstancy" figured out, it can be a benefit. For example, I love the feel of a Legacy Cannon in my hand, but over the years I have throwing the cannon, it has been extremely inconsistent. However, I have figured it out and now carry 5-6 in my bag.

Pinnacle: hyzer flip and turnovers
Icon: straight, roller, and long s-curves
Sparkle/First Run: long holding hyzers, flex shots, and forehand

Though, if the inconsistency of the mold cannot be segregated between plastics or runs, than I see why that is a huge problem.

^5years are BEEF. Knocked Xcals out of my bag..

I stopped bagging Destroyers back around 2011 for this reason. Some were OS, some were straight, some were instant BH rollers. Every one was like a box of chocolate.

They were very nice when they were the stability I wanted.

I've had 8 waves 6 neutron, 1 sparkle proton, and a plasma. The only two that were identical were a pair of lavender duality stamps I got early on and were the classic -2 2 you would expect from the decsription. All were 170 or higher except plasma. The sparkle was the least stable with a very late turn and it was 175g. Most OS is the HOF stamp neutron.

Least consistent often has a negative connotation, but I think once you get the "inconstancy" figured out, it can be a benefit. For example, I love the feel of a Legacy Cannon in my hand, but over the years I have throwing the cannon, it has been extremely inconsistent. However, I have figured it out and now carry 5-6 in my bag.

Pinnacle: hyzer flip and turnovers
Icon: straight, roller, and long s-curves
Sparkle/First Run: long holding hyzers, flex shots, and forehand

Though, if the inconsistency of the mold cannot be segregated between plastics or runs, than I see why that is a huge problem.

I like this theroy. Inactually stopped saying "inconsistent" and started just calling each discs differences it's own unique nuance. I know it still is the same thing but I agree with having one mokd in different stages of wear and with it's own characteristics just for the consistency of feel.

All the Grooves I've thrown in the last several years have been massively overstable and glideless. The only Grooves I've seen that have high speed turn and glide were first runs or soon after.

I tend to find that understable, fast drivers are the least consistent. You'll get the ones that fly how they're supposed to. However, you'll get others that fly significantly more overstable than the numbers would indicate.

It isn't like you're going to get freakishly understable Nuke OSs. Those things are very consistently overstable.

Nuke SSs on the other hand can be beefy at times. I've thrown a couple that were relatively glideless with a big, dumpy fade.

You didn't say the Renegade?!?! ;) :D

I only have one Sparkle Lucid Sheriff and one Fuzion Sheriff, and while the Sparkle is more OS, the discs aren't that wildly different. I would not mind having a Biofuzion Sheriif that is as flippy/understable as you describe yours to be; I bet my noodle arm would love it. :thmbup:

As to what mold is the most inconsistent, just insert any driver name here ________. They all have variances, and will as long as the earth provides temperature differences during the cooling process. For me personally and the discs I own and use, the Waves I have are totally inconsistent.

I've only thrown that 1 Renegade, so I have no basis for comparison. It sure as hell didn't wow me though.

MSG me if you want to trade for the really flippy Sheriff. You might actually dig it. Its a biofuzion white disc that for whatever reason flips all over the place. It isn't even in bad condition. I have zero use for the thing.

I'd add the Katana and the D3 to the list. I've owned examples of both that covered all ends of the spectrum from incredibly flippy to quite overstable.

Katana is MASSIVELY inconsistent. I'll agree there. Even if you stick to the same plastic. Some are flippy and bomb. Others are really beefy and glideless.

Impossible to know what you're getting when you buy a Katana. Its one of those discs you almost have to throw first before you know you want to buy it or not. Frustrating disc at times.

I've only owned/thrown 1 D3, so I can't really comment on the inconsistency there. Mine flies like a G* Shryke. Flippy and glidey.

I've only thrown that 1 Renegade, so I have no basis for comparison. It sure as hell didn't wow me though.

MSG me if you want to trade for the really flippy Sheriff. You might actually dig it. Its a biofuzion white disc that for whatever reason flips all over the place. It isn't even in bad condition. I have zero use for the thing.

Thanks, but I already ordered some discs, and I'm trying to disc down anyway. So pay that Sheriff forward and get a kid into the game.

And if you get a chance to try another Renegade, give it a shot. It's not a bad mold, at least for amateur noodle arms. It'll be US for someone in your armspeed range, of course...

I stopped bagging Destroyers back around 2011 for this reason. Some were OS, some were straight, some were instant BH rollers. Every one was like a box of chocolate.

They were very nice when they were the stability I wanted.

That is the reason I use only the Champion models I got in 2014, as the others were all over the board and some were high dome others were low dome from the same run. The Champion models of Destroyers are way more consistent then the Star or Pro model as the disc is made in less numbers as they are less popular so naturally the discs are going to be more constant.

You can thank Paul McBeth for the Pro and Star models being popular, he first used those in the 2000's when he first was a pro with apparel team, Uh one that now makes disc too. Got such big distance with the disc that Innova players started using those discs too.

Last edited:
I also vote Katana, because the variation makes them 100% different discs. And the OS ones are absolute junk IMO. It's one thing if a disc flies way more OS than its numbers off the shelf, like a Champ Sidewinder, but at least they still have glide and fly like a great control driver. A beefy Katana is something I never want to throw.

Destroyers obviously have a ton of variation, but at least they all have Destroyer characteristics. They might be very different in stability, and it is very frustrating to me sometimes, but at least you know what a OS Destroyer, beat in OS Destroyer, and flippy Destroyer fly like and how they react to different conditions.