• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which release = most natural for max d?

For me it's a healthy hyzer with a very understable disc. If you can do this so the disc rolls all the way over into a significant turn while adding height then flattens out when it runs out of steam and ride the glide path down. It's not the most accurate shot but hit right it's my longest shot.

This (old) video also talks about the hyzer release. As a matter of fact, this 400+ thrower really emphasizes getting low and using an understable disc with an extreme hyzer release angle. He really pushes this throughout the entire video. And btw..is almost exactly how I'm throwing my hyzer flip distance shots. This link advances to some specific hyzer talk, but the entire video is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q&feature=youtu.be&t=612

I also followed Simon twice last year. And on almost every shot over 350 (drive or approach) he was throwing hyzer. The only exception was his putter and mid throws, they came out very level. This (attached) photo I took emphasizes his typical release angle I witnessed.

When I followed him there was one hole that's 700+ ft long. He threw an an-hyzer on that hole. I don't think he meant, and I didn't mean, he throws all his shots on an an-hyzer.

This (old) video also talks about the hyzer release. As a matter of fact, this 400+ thrower really emphasizes getting low and using an understable disc with an extreme hyzer release angle. He really pushes this throughout the entire video. And btw..is almost exactly how I'm throwing my hyzer flip distance shots. This link advances to some specific hyzer talk, but the entire video is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q&feature=youtu.be&t=612

Plus you get to see the power and might of the Toboggan Course, used for USADGC's.

I get max distance out of a hyzer flip with a beat Star Destroyer backhand. I get less distance with a newer Star Destroyer on an anny. I wonder if it's just because I'm more comfortable throwing hyzer. I feel I generate more power that way.

Here's a vid that gets posted every now and then. You can see the mix of hyzerflip and anny flex shots going on.

Note Avery Jenkins in the blue and Garrett Gurthie in the yellow.

I also followed Simon twice last year. And on almost every shot over 350 (drive or approach) he was throwing hyzer. The only exception was his putter and mid throws, they came out very level. This (attached) photo I took emphasizes his typical release angle I witnessed.

But the question you asked and what you witnessed were about two different things. Yes anhyzer produces the MOST distance for anyone; however, it is nowhere near as accurate as a hyzer for nearly everyone. So a Simon Lizotte who can throw a putter 450'; a mini-driver 500', midrange 525' and a driver up to about 700' is really going to utilize hyzer on nearly any drive that he can, because it is a more accurate shot.

Conclusion: Most of us mere mortals are not Simon Lizotte.

Yes anhyzer produces the MOST distance for anyone.

After doing a ton of research, I'm sticking with the baseball analogy that a hyzer throw/swing will generate the most power and is ultimately the most natural way to throw. Now if you're talking about a long s-curve flight, I totally agree that's the best way for max d, but that's achievable with a hyzer flip turnover shot as well.

hmm.. had a good field day today working on those long anny drives. With the right wind, the high anny shot was going further than my hyzer flip throws. Looks like the hyzer flip is the shot for my max d golf lines and the anny throw is more suited to open max d lines. In the past I really couldn't put much power in an anny release, but since I've slowed everything down to matrix slo mo for some reason the anny line is much more doable. Things that make you go hmm....

Well it appears dave did release on a hyzer angle. Looks the same for Simon as well?

The physics of flight say anhyzer.

The physiology of the human body says hyzer.

How did the record throw come out of simon's hand- we need a slow mo dialed in video.

Very interesting! Let the debate continue.

Until you have some bit of form and comfort throwing discs, hyzer release feels more natural
Then when you buy 'big boy' discs too soon, big anny arm throws get more distance with S flight
Then when you train and get the right discs, then a hyzer release can generate way more power into a disc.

Just trying to get some clarity here, would a hyzer release be the most natural release when it comes to generating the most power for maximum distance? I've seen peeps throw max-d with anny, flat, hyzer, but just trying to understand the natural mechanics at work. Thx.

So yea, hyzer is the most natural power throw. However, becuase of poor mechanics and poor disc selection, people will get their own 'max d' today in lots of different ways.

Acutally, most new players can get 'max d' throwing a sidearm.

however when going for world records, you simply can put the most power into a hyzer release.

Common issue with throwing anhyzer is NOT keeping the extension happening out front enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOQymDPiso

I'm using this video to show that even a good MPO player, throwing a long shot - will not do it optimized. I'm not saying he's bad or anything - just that watch the comparison to Simon.

http://rowvid.com/?v=CaufDYe5oCQ

This is partially because our natural tendency to feel out of balance when we are tipping our spine back and bracing. Mind says, "uh oh... I'm going over" and in fact we do often times have to rotate around that anhyzer axis past the end of the teebox. It's hard to leverage the disc deep in the power pocket when tipped back.

To develop your maximum anhyzer distance, it's just like throwing flat or hyzer - you want to delay the acceleration and keep the extension out front, and hold through the hit.

I prefer to come through on a slight anhyzer or nearly flat. Thats how i get my furthest throws. Sometimes i can get a slight hyzer flip to turn long enough, but its much easier to get a full flight path with a slight anyhyzer release

I'm no world class thrower, but I can get to about 440' on a good rip (some freak throws have probably been more about 470'). I've had max distance throws both hyzer flipping and throwing big, high looping annys. Hyzerflips seem to be better lines and have more margin for error. However, I can more consistently achieve max distance (though not necessarily acccuracy) with annys. Annys have to have the PERFECT path and release to maximize potential.

With hyzerflip distance you want a less stable disc. Something that will flip up and bend a bit before fading. Honestly the longest hyzerflips I've ever thrown have been with the Nuke SS. It's not at all consistent, but discs like that and the Bolt (or even the Tern) just crush when you snap one with the right amount of hyzer for them to flip up and go without flipping all the way over.

With anny releases you can throw a slightly more stable disc and get a far more pronounced S curve out of them. You want a (as mentioned) higher release, at least shoulder height. Annys also need to be thrown higher, as they need more elevation for side to side movement.

Now to answer the initial question. Which throw comes more naturally? Hyzer. It's far easier and takes less thought to throw a hyzer shot than an anhyzer. Anhyzer shots don't feel natural and you have to teach yourself to throw them. Hyzer is what everyone throws when they first start out.

One thing I will say is you need the right disc for either shot or you'll be disappointed. Throw a hyzer flip with too stable a disc and it'll never flatten out. Throw too understable a disc and it'll flip all the way over and burn. With annys you want a disc that isn't super overstable, but has some late fade. If it doesn't fade your shot will track right and never come back and finish the proper S curve.

My longest are releasing on an anhyzer and getting enough height under it to allow a long turn to right and then fade back to left. Such a beautiful thing to watch.:clap:

Max D lines usually start as a hyzer thrown to a really high point in the air, which then flips up, turns over and rides a long anhyzer line before finally slowing down and hyzering back at the end. If you start your throw on that anhyzer phase of the flight you take away the whole first leg and distance.

But note that the pros aren't throwing that line in competition, it's too fluky to hit right, especially in windy situations.

Max D lines usually start as a hyzer thrown to a really high point in the air, which then flips up, turns over and rides a long anhyzer line before finally slowing down and hyzering back at the end. If you start your throw on that anhyzer phase of the flight you take away the whole first leg and distance.

But note that the pros aren't throwing that line in competition, it's too fluky to hit right, especially in windy situations.

Simon throws them in tournaments and a few others will occasionally. Most pros don't though, but they do typically use a hyzer form for most shots, but that is different from a distance line.

Common issue with throwing anhyzer is NOT keeping the extension happening out front enough.

To develop your maximum anhyzer distance, it's just like throwing flat or hyzer - you want to delay the acceleration and keep the extension out front, and hold through the hit.

Thanks for this! As my game is ever so slightly developing, Ive lost the ability the throw a decent anhyzer line - and I think this is exactly why.

Latest posts