• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Whippet Equivalent in Discraft

None of those mentioned are truly equivalent. The Flick is overstable but is a driver whereas a whipper is reminiscent of a mid range even though it's technically a fairway driver
Try an Xtra. They are out of production though

The Spirit by Gateway is a little faster, but similar.

Closest thing I have found is the Gateway HPP Blaze. Super Overstable fairway driver and flies just like the champion whippets I have thrown. I actually think it is more overstable. It still fades super hard in even the most severe head winds. Crazy predictable mid/fairway driver. As far as discraft goes, the closest thing I would say is the Xtra, but discontinued so drone, but the drone is much slower but still predictable.

flick no. way more overstable
reaper maybe, haven't thrown one if forever
drone definitely no. The whippet is a fairway driver and the drone is a thick midrange.

X2 is closest that I've thrown. Slower, overstable.

The X-Clone was the Whippet equivalent back in the day, although the Whippet was always more overstable than the X-Clone. The X2 and Xtra were the next generation of driver, and the closer driver from that bunch to the Whippet was the Xtreme. I understand that they are not the same class of disc, but the Drone would be the best currently in production Discraft disc that you could use to execute those shots. The Blaze or the Champ Banshee would be my first choices to replace a Whippet amongst currently available discs, although neither of those are Discraft.

Closest thing I have found is the Gateway HPP Blaze. Super Overstable fairway driver and flies just like the champion whippets I have thrown. I actually think it is more overstable. It still fades super hard in even the most severe head winds. Crazy predictable mid/fairway driver. As far as discraft goes, the closest thing I would say is the Xtra, but discontinued so drone, but the drone is much slower but still predictable.

Why are you throwing a champion whippet ? ? ? :confused:

The X-Clone was the Whippet equivalent back in the day, although the Whippet was always more overstable than the X-Clone. The X2 and Xtra were the next generation of driver, and the closer driver from that bunch to the Whippet was the Xtreme. I understand that they are not the same class of disc, but the Drone would be the best currently in production Discraft disc that you could use to execute those shots. The Blaze or the Champ Banshee would be my first choices to replace a Whippet amongst currently available discs, although neither of those are Discraft.

I forgot all about the XClone! My dad still throws one of those as his main driver to this day.

Why are you throwing a champion whippet ? ? ? :confused:

why not. they are $$$

Before I started throwing the blaze I used a CFR Glo Champion Whippet and must say it was money for any wind or no wind just because it was so predictable. I also did not have to worry about it beating in and changing flight too much because it is way more durable then the KC pro or dx. I also question why not throw the champion version? It and the HPP blaze are in a class of there own in Fairway driver terms.

I love the Whippet...and while it's not a permanent resident in my bag, I haven't found it's equivalent. The X-Clone is probably a good call...I've still got one that I would throw more except for the fact it's black... The Reaper used to be my #1 driver, and I wouldn't compare that to the whippet at all....Xtra....maybe, but I've got one that I never liked. I don't know, if you like Whippets, just get a Whippet...it's not like a lot of discs where there is a true equivalent from another company. I can't comment on some of those mentioned here....but I can tell you that the Spirit is waaay more overstable, almost to the point of being unthrowable except in unique scenarios...

Latest posts