• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who plays through the winter.

stevep

Birdie Member
What are some of the things you like about it? Any tips you have.

I like the non crowds at anytime of day. It keeps me playing all year. My home course keeps the tee boxes clean and dry. They also plow the fairways when the show gets deep.

I dont sweat like a whore in church

Hell yes. Thats is super cool that they plow the fairways up there

Haven't been through an east coast winter yet... but, I plan to play.
DSCJNKY

I love playing in the winter. The leaves are gone and fairways are much wider. I plan on trying to find colored chalk dust for the rim. Or ribbons.

Love playing the winter....it's the time to work on your game the most. Ribbons a few feet long taped to the bottom is what we do. Also, keep your discs cold before you play, that way the snow just blows off them and doesn't 'ice up' on em making them wet.

We usually just take a putter and do putter rounds all winter long. Helps with form and distance...at least for us :)

I dont sweat like a whore in church

Amen to that! ;)

I tend to play a lot over my "lunch" break from work, so it's definitely nice to not come back sweaty and stinky.

Our winters are fairly mild, maybe only 3-4 weeks total of snow on the ground most years, so it's usually my favorite season. And you can throw some wicked long rollers with the harder ground and thin grass.

Yeah, in the rain an mud, call me spoiled. But I use my camptime chair to set my bag on.
I never used to but I just started. It nice to not bend over as far for discs either (im 6'4)
I wear my snowboard jacket. Heavy rains and maybe occasional hail is all we get where I'm at.

Also, keep your discs cold before you play, that way the snow just blows off them and doesn't 'ice up' on em making them wet.

+1. Wet discs with little chunks of ice stuck to them aren't the best fliers.

Handwarmers are also a must-have for cold winters.

A variety of discs for different wind conditions helps. A change of clothes, or at the very least, gloves and socks, can be a godsend.

Why all the talk about winter? It's not even fall yet!

While I like playing in the winter, I am by no means looking forward to it. I just would rather wear shorts and a teeshirt and not have to worry about slipping on the tee pad and then looking for my disc in the snow.

I played a lot last winter and found it best to wear multiple thin layers, nothing too bulky.

I prefer playing in the winter except in the ice. Summer is so friggin hot and humid around here in DC and takes such a toll on me. Definitely play a lot more night golf in the winter and way less people.

Yes, I have to wear a dang long sleeve shirt in the winter in South Louisiana. At least I can find my way out of the trees easier.

it doesn't snow that much here and when it does it's only a few inches, so you can still play with a non-white disc. But yeah the best part is the empty courses.

I love playing in the winter! Here's us playing last year on 11/30 after skiing for several hours (notice the bright discs and curly ribbon!)
picture.php

It continued to snow all day until it was this deep
picture.php

Awesome!

Latest posts