• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why are guys wearing knee high socks??

turbine712

Birdie Member
I was watching some DG vi'ds and see people wearing knee high socks.
Why?
Is it to help with scratches in the woods?
Does it help against Poison Ivy?
I know it won't help with bug bites.
Just wondering.
Thanks,
Turbine

Come play a few rounds in the Pacific Northwest (especially Oregon) and your question will answer itself. We have blackberry bushes off the fairways that will swallow you. Our tournies look like a fashion show of long socks out here :lol:

You guys ever hear of pants? :p

Seriously though, pants have to be cooler (temp. wise at least) than the long socks, no?

what'shisname said:
You guys ever hear of pants? :p

Seriously though, pants have to be cooler (temp. wise at least) than the long socks, no?

only one guy wears pants in our club; he's over 60. it's been in the triple digits down here this summer and pants just ain't gonna cut it.

to the OP: it does protect against ticks, thorns, and poison ivy/oak.

ya, I was just kidding really. It hasn't been any where near triple digits here this summer and I always wear shorts. I don't wear knee high socks with them though.

Tennessee = 96 degrees and 80% humidity on many a summer day. Pants are not an option.

Poison Ivy/Oak, ticks/chiggers, durdy south razor-wire plants.

I keep them pushed down most of the round, then pull them up when I'm going frisbee hunting.

talking about long socks ticks are a attracted to white that is why i dont wear any white at all even underwear when i play ( dont ask how i know about the underwear) but the only thing long socks do for me is make my dirt tan higher on my legs

Yeah down here in the dirty south (Louisiana) our Schuul, or bush is thick! Every other throw, you may be swimming in a sea of bugs, thorns, thistles, and poison something! I still cant myself to where knee highs. Im just sticking it out with ankle socks. I may move up to kankle socks though.... :D

i can attest....high socks look geh....but....yea.....i've wore then the past two weekends for DG and im able to stay comfortable and not have to worry about my legs getting tore up from underbrush..

I have worn knee high socks and shorts for years..until the last couple months.

I lost my immunity to poison ivy and so switched to pants. Patches of poison ivy on the back of your knees are really obnoxious. Every time you bend your knee it is aggravating. Pants are way warmer, which I don't like but they are much better protection against bugs and thorns. Now when I walk into the rough it is almost joyful. It feels like I have body amour on.

Yeah, yeah, I know, just don't throw your disc in the rough. But that is no solution because other players in your group will shank and it is your job to help them search.

I don't know how golfers tolerate shorts and low socks. I have tried low socks. I hated the feel of long grasses on my lower legs, especially in the morning when the grasses are wet. I hated walking through the prickers and bushes and various skin shredding plants. I also noticed that mosquitoes attacked my lower legs more than anywhere else and it is difficult to swat them down there.

Whatever fashion advantage the low socks might have had was nowhere near a good enough reason for me to wear them.

Come next summer I will be faced with a tough choice. I know pants are too warm for comfort. I put up with heat and humidity poorly, anyway. I picked up some very thin nylon pants which so far are the lightest, coolest things I could find but still much warmer than shorts. So do I put up with the heat or the poison ivy? I have learned better ways to recognize, avoid and wash off poison ivy but that seems to be partial protection, at best.

Mark Ellis said:
I lost my immunity to poison ivy and so switched to pants.

Lizard Fail...

epic_fail_pet_costume_fail_lizard_humps_dog_Epic_Fails_that_I_havent_seen_yet-s500x375-49502-580.jpg

Mark Ellis said:
I picked up some very thin nylon pants which so far are the lightest, coolest things I could find but still much warmer than shorts.

I finally gave in the summer and did the same thing... but only for one local course. I still try to get away with shorts and way too much big spray at the rest.

Does this count as irony?

During an awfully cold and snowy round on Sunday, I somehow managed to notice that one of our regular knee-high socks guys had nothing more than a pair of ankle socks on under his snow pants.

I found that to be odd.

Latest posts