• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why can't we do this?

keltik

* Ace Member *
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...state-bass-fishing-high-school-185906709.html

Kentucky has made Bass Fishing an official High School sport. Illinois did it first.
In the article it states that Ill went from 99 schools with fishing teams to 232 in the space of a year.

Disc Golf is much easier to get into, train for, more gender neutral, cheaper to equip, and it is a lot of fun. Why can't the DG community focus on getting this started. I say NC would be a great pilot state for such a program, especially in the Charlotte/Mecklenburg school system. I think this would be the best way to grow the sport and add some legitimacy. It would build the skill base for future players. It could also cut down on the DBness of the younger crowd (you know adult supervision and rules enforcement). We should do this. We already have an intercollegiate championship. Why not at the prep level as well?

what sayest ye heathens?

I think it would be a great idea. My boy loves to play and even takes his discs to school when they have field days. His coach also plays, and the two of them get out on the practice football field and throw. My boy keeps begging me to bring up our practice basket on those days, so they have a basket to throw to. But unless someone in the school district approves it won't happen. The funny thing, is I found out yesterday, that they hired a guy to teach Mariachi Band to students, and he also got the school to supply 20 guitars and violins this year, and is hitting them up for the other instruments for next year. Since we have a great course (East Metropolitan Park in Manor TX) that is just minutes away from the school, and several other great courses spread all over the Austin,TX area, if we could get a start at a couple schools, and have an all high school tourney I think especially in this area it would/could take off with minimal funds, a lot cheaper than it costs for guitars and violins.

Sorry for the minor HJ but I did stay to the topic and only used it as a example of how money is being spent in the district.

Lack of facilities in enough locations is one factor that holds disc golf back from being sanctioned by State HS Associations. Drop a line in a pond you're fishing. In MN, a drawback had been the inability to get insurance for parents, students or buses to travel to meets unless it was sanctioned by the state. And the state wouldn't sanction it until enough schools were competing. "Chicken or the egg" problem.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...state-bass-fishing-high-school-185906709.html

Kentucky has made Bass Fishing an official High School sport. Illinois did it first.
In the article it states that Ill went from 99 schools with fishing teams to 232 in the space of a year.

Disc Golf is much easier to get into, train for, more gender neutral, cheaper to equip, and it is a lot of fun. Why can't the DG community focus on getting this started. I say NC would be a great pilot state for such a program, especially in the Charlotte/Mecklenburg school system. I think this would be the best way to grow the sport and add some legitimacy. It would build the skill base for future players. It could also cut down on the DBness of the younger crowd (you know adult supervision and rules enforcement). We should do this. We already have an intercollegiate championship. Why not at the prep level as well?

what sayest ye heathens?

In the Lexingon, KY area. The middle schools have disc golf teams.

I'd have to say when thinking about what makes something a sport DG seems way more legit than Fishing!

yeah but a decent fishing tourny will draw huge crowds, big sponsors, and have large payouts. a large payout in disc golf is $1000 while a large payout in a bassmaster or flw series is $100,000, a new silverado, and a ranger boat.

yeah but a decent fishing tourny will draw huge crowds, big sponsors, and have large payouts. a large payout in disc golf is $1000 while a large payout in a bassmaster or flw series is $100,000, a new silverado, and a ranger boat.

We are talking high school sports here not tournaments

More companies can make money from fisherman than disc golf companies can from DGers. There is more to fishing. Lures, Boats, Poles, Nets, Trucks to pull boats...etc etc. Yeah it is kinda crazy to think fishing tourneys are drawing bigger crowds and payouts than disc golf.

But yeah, like Grape Drank said. We are talking about making it a HS sport...not tourneys.

Lack of facilities in enough locations is one factor that holds disc golf back from being sanctioned by State HS Associations. Drop a line in a pond you're fishing. In MN, a drawback had been the inability to get insurance for parents, students or buses to travel to meets unless it was sanctioned by the state. And the state wouldn't sanction it until enough schools were competing. "Chicken or the egg" problem.

Some of this seems odd to me since my son is on the high school trap shooting team. I am pretty sure there were only 3 teams the first year they held it, there are 68 this year. It is a club not an official sport but it does offer a letter.

Things may have changed but it seems like there are facilities and bureaucratic barriers other than just finding the will to get it done. Not saying it isn't worth the effort and may be easier now in more states.

I've read about high school teams and a high school team tournament somewhere. I'd think this will be more widespread somewhere down the road, at least at the club level.

We're reaching the point where more elementary schools have courses to expose kids early.....a few high schools have courses....the growth of general public courses means a better chance for a local course near a high school....and I see more established adult disc golfers with projects with youth groups, scouts, schools, special Olympics, etc.

I know that there was a High School tournament at Lincoln Ridge recently, but it wasn't actually organized by high schools, it was just a tournament limited to high schoolers. I really wish I had found out about it beforehand, it would have made a great first tournament.

Here is the link

Would have loved to have a Bass fishing team at my HS. Had to settle with Ultimate.... I'm actually going to Bassmasters when it goes to La Crosse! Gonna be a grand ol' time.

Luthern High School of Orange Disc Golf Club. A few of the guys from this high school have played in a few of our monthly tournaments at La Mirada. Nice kids.

http://lhsocdgc.weebly.com/about-us.html

My daughter learned disc at school from a teacher that grew up playing while attending Elon University. I love that he cared enough to share, best times I've ever had with my kiddo has been out on the course.

Also be on the look out this year at the Worlds, there should be a nice push in this direction from a bunch of us parents. We are getting organized, if you are interested, PM me and I'll make sure you are in the loop even if you don't go to the World Ams.

My high school doesnt have a disc "team", its more of a club. We go to courses and play atleast once a month

Latest posts