• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why did Kevin Jones' plant food slip to the right?

Siriusbomb

Par Member

In this insta-famous shot, why did his plant foot slip to the right? I'm working on my bracing and am trying to shift my weight directly forward into the plant - I've slipped before and my plant foot shoots straight forward. What's up with his mechanics that caused it to go to the right?

edit: I'm a noob and can't figure out how to embed the video, but y'all know the shot.

https://youtu.be/lA8WP3UbT8w?

Last edited:
I think if he slipped a soon as he planted he would shoot straight forward but is looks like he planted then started to rotate before he lost it was more of a spin out than an immediate slip

I'm still trying to figure out a good brace myself, but I'm pretty sure that he slipped after the throw (not during it).

To elaborate: his foot doesn't start to slip until just after the disc is gone. I think that the brace's job is over even before that. So when he slipped, he was no longer bracing, but rather just supporting his bodyweight and based on where his body was in space that support was pushing down and to the right.

Again, I'm still working on this stuff, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can refute or confirm me

Maybe he has two left feet. Nobody's perfect.

He is being pulled by the momentum of the arm.

I just can't imagine my plant foot slipping any direction other than straight forwards at any step of my throw. I wonder if there's some mechanic I'm missing that would cause that rightward motion.

I know my rear leg follow through is weak. I guess I should just post a form check!

At first I thought he never had much of a brace, but in frame by frame, you can see his foot stop while he throws, so he is definitely bracing. From there it just looks like body/arm/weight/momentum pulling him to the right as he slips. But....there's also the possibility he instantly felt the slip and his spontaneous reaction was to collapse to minimize strain on the knee. ?

Flinching is a superpower. Far more common than a shot like that, but someone who can make that shot is bound to have other superpowers.

Big distance throwers tend to plant their lead foot much further to the right. That might be why your foot slides forward and his slides to the right.

As soon as I saw that, I called foot fault as I think he slipped on the wet wood frame. I thought that I saw some of the other tee pads don't have wood frames around them, which would mean that the edge of the paving stones is the end of the tee pad. But it's still a hella good shot and ace!

Latest posts