• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why did you start playing disc golf?

How did you first try disc golf?

• Friend: A friend/family member brought me to a course/league.

Votes: 143 70.8%
  • Event: Went to a intro tournament (World's Biggest/Ice Bowl/Ace Race/etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Course: Saw a course/basket, asked what it was, and went and tried it.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Acquaintance: Someone told me about the sport and I gave it a try.

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Media: I heard about it in the media and went to check it out.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Internet: Found out about it online, found a local course and gave it a try.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
I first played disc golf back in 1982 when we went to Manassas for an ultimate tournament. Of course we played with lids and it really wasn't that special. In 1992 I saw a disc golf demonstration at a park in Richmond and I didn't think the guys doing the demonstration were very good. They had plans to play a round of object golf the next day so i showed up and beat them with my lid. By the beginning of 1993 I had my own golf discs and was driving to Raleigh every weekend to learn how to play disc golf.

great friends!

friends introduced me. we stopped at a gas station and i bought my first discs, a pro rhyno and a dx viper.

At the end of the day, my only questions for them was: What the hell took you so long to bring me out here?!?!?!

I have always been a fan of spending time outdoors, but until that day, i had no idea what i had been missing for so many years!

I could have called UW-Parkside my home course for 4 years if i had known about this great sport. Ah well, I have been making up for lost time ever since. :)

Someone I used to work for has played for over 30 years. He asked me to come along one day. He let me throw a Rhino and I got hooked.

I kind of evolved with the sport.
We played alot of toss and catch games before disc golf was around, trying to get farther and farther apart and still being able to catch the frisbee without moving.
I remember practicing skip shots on the pavement with the old 200 gram disc.

I moved to Cali just after Ed started putting in courses.
I lived across the road from Cal State Northridge, and we had a nice 18 hole object course laid out there.
Like Ed said;
A game where people would throw an expensive Frisbee into the ground every throw on purpose? Wow! What a market potential!It seems so easy, but what could possibly be better than walking through a beautiful park and throwing at trees, drinking fountains, open car windows and an occasional coed?
:hfive:

I found out about the Oak Grove course first, I think it was a guy from JPL that mentioned it to me.
We went and played with our 200 gram discs and had a blast.
This was just after they had put in the Veterans Park course in Sylmar, so when I found out about that one, which was closer than Oak Grove, we started playing more regularily. That course was rough when we started, rocky, gravelly, lots of O.B. and mean dogs, but still fun.

Only place to get discs back then, pre internet,was Discovering the World.
I also learned about tournaments, and other courses, when I went there.
This was the best resource in the olden days.

Well,I played for the first time at a bachelor party in fall 2008,we were about to head back home from Atlanta,and they decided to stop at a park,they pulled out their DG bags and i had no idea what we were doing,they handed me some discs,and i was absolutely horrible the entire round,didn't play again till around May/June this year,started tossin' some frisbees around,and then we evolved to discs,there were no courses around here,and then this august Jody Mitchell,who is a member of this site,installed one about 5 minutes from my house,so thanks to him i am now craving it 24/7.

I used to be in a truck club. We were going to have a picnic at Veterans Park (Sylmar). I was the first person to the park and parked in the parking lot closest to the gate so I could watch to see when others arrived.

I was sitting there when these two guys walked up next to my truck and threw their discs off Hole 1 (I didn't know it was Hole 1 at the time). I watched, and counted their throws (4 each). I had a lid in my truck and played the hole right behind them... I got a 4 too.

I said, if I got a 4 with this disc... and they got a 4 with special discs... then I gotta get me some special discs and try this...

DSCJNKY

Went to college in '77, joined the campus Frisbee club. Prez of club said he had designed an object course around campus. Been playing regular ever since. Played first round on pole holes the next summer at the old KOA in Peru, IN. The course is still there.

I remember it all very real looking back it was the summer I turned 18. We lived in a one room run down shack on the outskirts of New Orleans. We didn't have money for food or rent. To say the least we were hard pressed. Then Mama spent every last penny we had to buy me a dancin' dress.

a cousin of mine turned me on to the game and I 1st played in July of '08, totally addicted now. Can't wait for my next round. Live on Southside Va. and we have several courses within a 50mile drive. Was totally a backhand thrower for about a yr and 1/2, now starting to use the forehand more and more.

It all started back in 1992. We were a good band. We were travelin' all over Finland, England... we went over to London too. We were up & down the Hudson River. We were sheddin' a lot... we lived in the shed. We'd go to church where the blinkin' light was, marked by the Olympic size swimmin' pool.

Snake Anthony knew Mr. Williams. He could help you move your fine Chinese if you needed a move. He also helped us find a start of Wind. What he really helped us find was to discover that we were the best!

When Snake Anthony came out onto the road, we went to the west of Hwy 61, we didn't go to the east. You can go to the west-south, you can go to the east-north... no one ever does. They just want to go to Pheonix to find a start of Wind.

You go west of Hwy 61, you're gunna have to have tone, you're gunna have to have time, & you're gunna have to have Space. And Ohhh... Snake Anthony was not a small Japanese woman.

When Snake Anthony came out on the road w/ us we knew we were the best... the Very best!

My dad and my uncle used to take me out sometimes about 15+ years ago, but that was long forgotten until this past Spring. I lived about 20 minutes away from Flip City for almost five years and never knew it.:doh: After four years of epic failure, I find out about it and have been playing all over West Michigan since. Now I live 90 miles away.:\

I got introduced to the sport by a team member on my ultimate frisbee team down in Cali. I played one round and was instantly hooked. I soon after gave up ultimate and focused on disc golf. After 8 years of playing, I still get as excited as the first time I played. What an awesome sport!

You're making me feel REALLY old. :p

Your dad is a good man for introducing his son to the sport. Hope that you and him play together for a long time.

Always happy to help. And yeah, he and I play as much as we can. He actually kept me playing for months when I was losing interest. Now I'm back into it.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (Greenville, NC)

I first played on the ECU campus way back in the mid-90's when I was in college. I was visiting a friend of mine there for a weekend, and we went out and threw their on-campus course. I remember it being a lot of fun, but frustrating (much like real golf has been the couple of times I have tried it :wall:). Thanks, Brian!

I played a round at my local watering hole (Ballou #2, Danville, VA) with my brother and some of his friends about 4-5 years ago. Friday or Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. Wore a long-sleeved t-shirt and shorts in 40-degree weather. Had a blast and got sick all at the same time. :sick:

I really started playing again in Fall 2009. One of my teaching colleagues at the time had been into it in college, and he was getting his 5-year-old son interested. Of course, I had to try it again. And I haven't looked back. :)

Latest posts