• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do disc golf companies discontinue molds?

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
What are some of the reasons why disc golf companies discontinue some of their molds? I am not partial to any one OOP disc, as I have only been playing not quite 4 years now, but I know some of you are. Is it purely a cost thing? No more room in their warehouse for the extra molds? They figure the latest and greatest thing will sell more discs? Maybe they should pull a McDonalds like the McRib and bring it back every once in a while to get everyone excited again. Any one particular disc you would like to see brought back?

profit.jpg

If a mold isn't selling, they stop making it. It's not an issue of space in their warehouse. It has to do more with the cost of materials and time spent on a mold that isn't selling. Really basic business.

If a mold isn't selling, they stop making it. It's not an issue of space in their warehouse. It has to do more with the cost of materials and time spent on a mold that isn't selling. Really basic business.

They need to get rid of the groove and monarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes when a disc reaches a certain plateau in sells it is pulled from regular production and brought back at a later point as a fundraiser disc. They love to sell CFR discs. The Gazelle in Champion plastic was one of the best selling discs Innova has ever produced as was the Cobra.

It's like when I find a pair of shoes I really like and go back to the store to replace them and they don't make that type any more! It used to be worse in the early days of our sport when they were seemingly coming out with a new mold every week. Things have settled in now and the magor disc manufacturers have pretty solid product lines. They're always going to be coming out with new discs though, faster, more aerodynamic etc.. and discontinuing disc that no longer sell. It might be interesting to see a line of retro discs and if the popularity of the sport continues to grow this might become a reality. I want some new Phantoms, are you listening Discraft!

Profit--its all about profit. Get rid of something that doesn't generate enough of it and replace with something that your "Experts" suggest will make more. The broken hearts of the faithful are inconsequential. Even the Disneyesque manner in which Innova realeases CFR discs(see the previously mentioned Gazelle) helps to keep demand high so that when they run them, they don't sit on the shelves for very long.

If a mold isn't selling, they stop making it.
That's about it. Lets face it, some molds are just duds.

That being said, I think resurrecting a limited edition run of an OOP mold would be a neat idea, and potentially profitable.

That's about it. Lets face it, some molds are just duds.

That being said, I think resurrecting a limited edition run of an OOP mold would be a neat idea, and potentially profitable.

I feel like that's what Discmania is to Innova. I know Discmania is out of Europe somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that they have used older Innova molds (Gremlin maybe?)

I think the gremlin is the only old mold they've brought back. The rest of discmania's line up is mostly parts from different discs put together, or innova molds with spacers etc. to modify them slightly.

Both the Groove and the Monarch are sold at large sporting goods stores (like Dick's Sporting Goods and Academy) that provide a limited selection to choose from. Because of this, they sell pretty well and will last as long as they do.

hey now, I <3 monarchs. you can get great anny lines off them and they seem to be a pretty consistent mold.
If they put out a wahoo in another plastic I think the groove will be phased out though.

Every 4 or 5 months a local asks me if I have any Z Storms for sale. Why would I carry something that only one person is buying. I guess I should be carrying some Z Hawks too.

you call it basic business, i call it survival of the fittest.

by the nature of capitalism, if a disc were successful or profitable it would never be discontinued. Capitalism mandates that if it doesnt sell it gets discontinued. It wasnt popular enough to remain relevant. Obviously, the DG community has voted and it said, "not important."

Latest posts