• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WHY DO YOU DISC???

I wouldn't play with a guy like that. I play disc golf to relax, and take my time. I am also very selective on who I play with or bring with me. My brother once begged me to bring this guy along and he brought his wife and two very young kids along, and the wife bitched the whole time about no even knowing what was going on, and the guy got pissed, and it was the worst round of disc golf I have ever played.

I used to beg my friends, or my brother to go along, but now I don't care. I have played lots of rounds alone, and I usually end up meeting up with someone at the course and having a nice round.

I gotta tell ya' man, sometimes I like to just go up there and throw it.

I enjoy playing by myself because I can slow down, but not have to wait for others. At the same time I like playing with friends and family because I like hanging out - so there's a big mix. I do hate rounds when you have a bunch of people and it takes 20+ minutes a hole. That's not relaxing - that's boring.

I played Bear Branch by myself tonight. I came up on a guy playing alone, and I asked if he wanted company, but he had his Ipod on and just kind of blew me off. No matter. He did offer me a beer though. Sucks that I don't drink. I had a good time.

I've been hooked since round one for several reasons:

It's a nearly pure game of skill, and not heavily dependent on athleticism.
I'm a wiry guy of average height, and could easily be picked from a group as the "distance runner"; no one would mistake me for an offensive lineman. The best disc golfers come in all sizes and ages.

I can play alone or socially. I'm loving my first season of doubles league, but the majority of my rounds are still just me vs. the course.

It demands a high level of focus on the present. When I'm golfing, I'm not stressing about work, or planning a grocery list, or calculating finances.

The beauty for me is that we can as humans make a round plastic thing do some beautiful things in the air sometimes, fun to watch.

I play for all of the above mentioned.

But if I may...

When you throw a disc, or a friend or even some dude you think is an ass throws a disc, evryone is focused on that beautiful flying object. A bald eagle carrying a refigerator could fly by and everyone would still be watching that disc. Even bad throws.. everone is watching... waiting for it to crash and burn.. When you think for sure that is going to hit a tree but it misses by a millimeter... Man that's what all about.. Zen,baby.

Well I just read through this entire thread and I guess I'm the only one: I like disc golf for the reasons posted above, but I also like it for the variety of discs. It's exciting for me that there are Orcs, Valkyries, Pagasuses (I just got one!!), and Vikings. When I was younger I was really into collecting all types of cards: baseball, pokemon, etc. Disc golf is kind of like that, except it's also a sport.

That's why I like it.

Well I just read through this entire thread and I guess I'm the only one: I like disc golf for the reasons posted above, but I also like it for the variety of discs. It's exciting for me that there are Orcs, Valkyries, Pagasuses (I just got one!!), and Vikings. When I was younger I was really into collecting all types of cards: baseball, pokemon, etc. Disc golf is kind of like that, except it's also a sport.

That's why I like it.

I get that man. I have a decent sized card collection myself :)

I like playing for different reasons, depending on the mood I'm in...sometimes I go real slow and chill for stress release--sometimes I blast through a familiar course for stress release...I travel alot, so it's very relaxing to get out and play--even on the "crappy" or "boring" courses...

There are times I enjoy playing alone and being lost in my thoughts...but there is nothing like sharing an awesome course with a friend...

I originally got into Disc cause my friends were playing it. Soon i was playing 5 to 6 times a week to catch up with them. I didnt realize how much I was into disc til it was 35 degrees out side(Thats cold in GA) and wondered why know one else was playing. Just like many others already said disc has also become a great stress relieve for me. Nothing better than throwing the disc as hard as I can

DG saves me money and keeps me healthy. I was able to stop taking some pretty expensive medication because I now get enough exercise. Running would probably do the same, but I could never motivate myself to keep doing it. Why go out of the house to just run home the long way? At least with DG I can run and keep score...

oh and I should mention the cost. My GF and I go to see a movie now its a minimum of 30 bucks. all day golfing for 2 around here is 12 bucks. More entertainment for alot less money:D

Sometimes disc golf is a stress reliever as others have mentioned. It is a way to get out and take my mind off of the things that are causing stress in my life...or even frustrations. I don't even have to go to the course to get into disc stress relief mode, I can just go in the back yard and throw all my mids from corner to corner for about 20 minutes.

A great fun relaxing sport. It is the slacker sport!

I'm seriously serious about not getting serious. So this sport fits me.