• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why host worlds?

.....the hurdle to get over is getting beyond what we like to watch, to imagining what vast numbers of people will want to watch.

Think beyond sports. There have been any number of TV shows that I loved, and can't believe that everyone didn't love them. But the ratings were bad, and they died. Mine was a minority view; there weren't enough of me.

There are shows on TV now that I cringe at. I can't stomach more than 10 seconds of a "reality tv" show---sometimes I can't move the clicker fast enough---but at least I recognize the aspects that mean lots of others will watch them.

Same with disc golf, compared to other sports that have made it as spectator sports.

A few think to consider. The 3,000 spectators at EO thought it was worth watching. They clearly enjoyed it. The number of people who stop to watch me practice, are amazed at the distance and accuracy I have, and ask about the sport, is now in the hundreds. I get a few a week and it's grown with time. Btw, I suck. Imagine if they were watching a pro.

DG has some unique challenges to becoming a spectator sport. But I'd bet on it rather than against it. The notion that it has to happen now or we've failed is so very American. What the PDGA, DGWT, Pro Tour and Finns have done is truly amazing.

Latest posts