• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why look away when someone is putting?

It's the pressure of eyes watching... Everyone watching you, right now all focused on you, willing it in or to miss. It actually bothers me most when everyone stops talking and it gets silent, I prefer some light background chatter.

Even more so when the player in question just missed a 20' par or bogey and just can't hole out.

If it's courteous to do so, isn't it by definition discourteous to not do so? so people are being rude by watching you putt?

crazy world

giphy.gif

It's the pressure of eyes watching... Everyone watching you, right now all focused on you, willing it in or to miss. It actually bothers me most when everyone stops talking and it gets silent, I prefer some light background chatter.

Even more so when the player in question just missed a 20' par or bogey and just can't hole out.

Always enjoy a Hitchhiker's reference. I was also thinking more of the SEP Field... I think that tied in with Bistromathics

I try to think of my game as an SEP field, people don't believe what I'm doing so their brain chooses not to register it lol.

If it's courteous to do so, isn't it by definition discourteous to not do so? so people are being rude by watching you putt?

crazy world

Ha it doesn't bother me that much, I'm used to tournaments but when there is a meltdown in progress I feel like not watching helps... similar in some ways to:

Corriedoo

(n.)
The crucial moment of recognition in a long passageway encounter. Though both people are perfectly well aware that the other is approaching, they ignore each other avoiding eye contact so as not to commit Corrievorrie. At the right moment they must eventually pretend sudden recognition. They now look up with a glassy smile, as if having spotted each other for the first time, (and are particularly delighted to have done so), shouting out 'Haaaaalllllloooo!' as if to say 'Good grief!! You!! Here!! Of all people! Well I never. Coo Stap me vitals,' etcetera.

See also Corrievorrie

Ha it doesn't bother me that much, I'm used to tournaments but when there is a meltdown in progress I feel like not watching helps... similar in some ways to:

Corriedoo

as long as you aren't directly in their line of sight, how will somebody even know if you're watching them or not? lol

just watch and follow the rules

The putting area is generally where disc golf falls apart. There is a complete lack of poise by a good % of people playing. These are the scoring shots and every player deserves the time and proper competitor etiquette to give it their best shot.

You have guys who disrespect other players by not watching them. A violation of the etiquette rules from the start.

You have guys (every round) that refuse to honor the furthest away putting first and refuse to have a discussion before lining up and then when you ask, they disregard the furthest away rule and say 'go ahead" regardless of who is actually away. No, take the time to truly decide who is furthest.

You have the guys who refuse to wait until the basket is clear to putt, making people 'freeze", which I think is the worst thing you can do while someone is putting. If you are a bother to someone putting, the putter should wait until things are clear. If they can't, then it is all on them.

And the rules prevent you from finishing your putt, keeping you around the basket, increasing the chance of bothering someone else putting. A player once inside C1 should always have the option of finishing the hole before the other players play their next shot. then get the heck away. This is something the PDGA needs to address in their rules.

Fix the above and play will be much more enjoyable. I'm at the point where i am hesitant to enter tourneys because these things come up multiple times every tourney round.

You have guys (every round) that refuse to honor the furthest away putting first and refuse to have a discussion before lining up and then when you ask, they disregard the furthest away rule and say 'go ahead" regardless of who is actually away. No, take the time to truly decide who is furthest.

the "furthest away rule" is not absolute:

To facilitate flow of play, a player who is not next may throw if the player who is next consents, or if throwing will not impact the player who is next.

The putting area is generally where disc golf falls apart. There is a complete lack of poise by a good % of people playing. These are the scoring shots and every player deserves the time and proper competitor etiquette to give it their best shot.

You have guys who disrespect other players by not watching them. A violation of the etiquette rules from the start.

You have the guys who refuse to wait until the basket is clear to putt, making people 'freeze", which I think is the worst thing you can do while someone is putting. If you are a bother to someone putting, the putter should wait until things are clear. If they can't, then it is all on them.

And the rules prevent you from finishing your putt, keeping you around the basket, increasing the chance of bothering someone else putting. A player once inside C1 should always have the option of finishing the hole before the other players play their next shot. then get the heck away. This is something the PDGA needs to address in their rules.

Fix the above and play will be much more enjoyable. I'm at the point where i am hesitant to enter tourneys because these things come up multiple times every tourney round.

None of this makes sense to me. Often, furthest away is the least desirable option. Speed of play and staying out of all putters' purview should always be the goal, in tournament situations. Same with the tee pad order. If someone has to pee, don't sit there waiting, get the card moving. You arrive to the green first and have a tap in...putt out and get out of the way. This is all agreed upon on the first tee. Ready golf? Tee pad and greens? The age protected divisions here understand this terminology and rarely would have it any other way.

The worst, to me, are the fast putters who are too chicken**** to let their card mates know what their preferences are. If you're gonna run up to the green and putt before I can get clear of the basket area, you've gotta let me know what you want me to do while you're putting.

For example: Sometimes I putt quick - all I want you to do is whatever you're already doing. Don't freeze if you're moving. Don't rush to get out of the way if you're already standing still. I stepped up and started my routine while you were in my line of sight, I don't mind what you're doing. If I forget to inform someone before it happens once, then thats on me and I let them know and I'm clear about the fact that it only bothered me because of something that was my own fault (by putting quick).

By contrast - I've played with so many people, guys who get up and putt fast that literally spend the whole round seething over someone consistently doing something wrong. I was caddying for a friend at an event a few falls ago and another friend was playing with a Michigan pro who I have traveled with and played dozens of tournaments with. Michigan pro was seething all round because the friend I wasn't caddying for would clear basket and then walk all the way out of his line of sight. He wanted my friend to FREEZE as soon as he stepped up to his lie. Nevermind that he kept stepping up to his lie an instant after my friend cleared the disc from the basket.

I eventually got tired of listening to him complain and went and had a laugh with my friend over it, and he stopped doing it.

And of course you also have the reverse - I've played dubs with people who will miss putts and get angry that you chose to stand stock still ("freeze") as soon as they stepped up to their lie if you're caught still in their line of sight.

Whatever it is that you prefer, if you're gonna putt fast you've gotta communicate with your card.

There is a grey/gray area in the rules. The rules say a player must call any violations they observe, but there is nothing in the rules that says you must watch or pay attention to the other players. So players who turn their backs/look away from others putting really aren't going against the rules. They may be going against the intent of the rules, but intent isn't a rule.

The worst, to me, are the fast putters who are too chicken**** to let their card mates know what their preferences are. If you're gonna run up to the green and putt before I can get clear of the basket area, you've gotta let me know what you want me to do while you're putting.

For example: Sometimes I putt quick - all I want you to do is whatever you're already doing. Don't freeze if you're moving. Don't rush to get out of the way if you're already standing still. I stepped up and started my routine while you were in my line of sight, I don't mind what you're doing. If I forget to inform someone before it happens once, then thats on me and I let them know and I'm clear about the fact that it only bothered me because of something that was my own fault (by putting quick).

By contrast - I've played with so many people, guys who get up and putt fast that literally spend the whole round seething over someone consistently doing something wrong. I was caddying for a friend at an event a few falls ago and another friend was playing with a Michigan pro who I have traveled with and played dozens of tournaments with. Michigan pro was seething all round because the friend I wasn't caddying for would clear basket and then walk all the way out of his line of sight. He wanted my friend to FREEZE as soon as he stepped up to his lie. Nevermind that he kept stepping up to his lie an instant after my friend cleared the disc from the basket.

I eventually got tired of listening to him complain and went and had a laugh with my friend over it, and he stopped doing it.

And of course you also have the reverse - I've played dubs with people who will miss putts and get angry that you chose to stand stock still ("freeze") as soon as they stepped up to their lie if you're caught still in their line of sight.

Whatever it is that you prefer, if you're gonna putt fast you've gotta communicate with your card.

People who get real butthurt about what other people are doing and don't say anything are some of the least fun to play with.

I will tell people I don't care what they do, crack a beer, stand in my line of sight whatever, don't even bother clearing the basket if I miss it's on me, sometimes I putt fast if I'm confident in the situation and people instinctually want to apologize because they were moving or something, I don't care it's my putt if I make it cool if I don't well I'm the one who missed.

The people who get worked by anything in their line of sight are honestly more annoying to me than the people who take 20 solid pre pumps and dink it, especially pros.

There is a grey/gray area in the rules. The rules say a player must call any violations they observe, but there is nothing in the rules that says you must watch or pay attention to the other players. So players who turn their backs/look away from others putting really aren't going against the rules. They may be going against the intent of the rules, but intent isn't a rule.

Section 812

B) A player must:
1)Perform actions expected by the rules, including:
a)Helping to find a lost disc; and,
b)Moving equipment when asked; and,
c)Keeping score properly.
2)Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and
to help find discs.

Players are assigned to play holes together in a group for the purpose of verifying scores and ensuring play in accordance with the rules.

How can you verify scores and ensure other players on your card are playing in accordance with the rules if you don't watch the other players on your card?

also:

A player must:
Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs.

edit: ru4por beat me to it

Section 812

B) A player must:
2)Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and
to help find discs.

Go full Inception and call other players on a courtesy violation for NOT watching you throw.

By my observation of videos, the "turn your back" is always accompanied by standing still. I don't know that many people who are already standing still then move to turn their heads and look away.

If you follow that reasoning, then I think the dominant activity is to freeze movement - because you might (or definitely are) in the other player's line of sight. And when you freeze, if you don't turn your back, you're staring right at them...perhaps catching their eye...as they line up and putt.

Taken that way, it seems like a courtesy ("Oh, I might be moving where they can see me, so I'll stop") And the turning the back is just taking the freeze a little bit farther.

Section 812

B) A player must:
to help find discs.

Thanks....I looked for that and missed it. But it is ignored so much. A player goes into woods to find their disc and make their throw.....how many cardmates actually go in with them to make sure they are really playing from their lie?

By my observation of videos, the "turn your back" is always accompanied by standing still. I don't know that many people who are already standing still then move to turn their heads and look away.

If you follow that reasoning, then I think the dominant activity is to freeze movement - because you might (or definitely are) in the other player's line of sight. And when you freeze, if you don't turn your back, you're staring right at them...perhaps catching their eye...as they line up and putt.

Taken that way, it seems like a courtesy ("Oh, I might be moving where they can see me, so I'll stop") And the turning the back is just taking the freeze a little bit farther.

The freeze has to be the worst move. The intention is good, but the execution is not good. Just keep moving out of frame, please.