• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why look away when someone is putting?

Thanks....I looked for that and missed it. But it is ignored so much. A player goes into woods to find their disc and make their throw.....how many cardmates actually go in with them to make sure they are really playing from their lie?

It's amusing how many gray areas and poorly worded rules vanish in the light of reading the actual rules.

You don't need to go into the woods to make sure they are really playing from their lie. It's good enough to find a gap where you can see what they're doing. You can usually find such a spot on the mowed grass.

You DO need to go into the woods to help find their disc, if they can't.

It's amusing how many gray areas and poorly worded rules vanish in the light of reading the actual rules.

Yep, I looked in the Rules and Competition Manual and just could not find that rule. I looked in "Application of the Rules".....I really didn't think to look in the "Courtesy" section.

Heck, that's why I carry two rules books with me. Then if there is a rules question I can have one person look through one book while I look through the other. ((The books are handy since there isn't always cell signal)).

The "furthest away" rule isn't absolute in ball golf, either.

But it should be followed unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Someone stepping up out of turn to putt, shouldn't be doing it. They should be gauging who is away as well and ask if it isn't perfectly clear. The guy who has less patience should not by default be putting first unless he is actually furthest away.

But it should be followed unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Someone stepping up out of turn to putt, shouldn't be doing it. They should be gauging who is away as well and ask if it isn't perfectly clear. The guy who has less patience should not by default be putting first unless he is actually furthest away.
I watched the 2023 Master Cup and Gannon Burh was always taping out out of order kind of like to get out of the way or something while another player was getting ready for their putt. It's not a complain and I'm sure others were fine with it but it just became obvious that I noticed it.

And even then, How little this rule is used in rule discussions:

These rules have been designed to promote fair play for all disc golfers. In using these rules, the player should apply the rule that most directly addresses the situation at hand. If any point in dispute is not covered by the rules, the decision is made in accordance with fairness. Often a logical extension of the closest existing rule or the principles embodied in these rules will provide guidance for determining fairness.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80101

I watched the 2023 Master Cup and Gannon Burh was always taping out out of order kind of like to get out of the way or something while another player was getting ready for their putt. It's not a complain and I'm sure others were fine with it but it just became obvious that I noticed it.

I think Gannon (and others) putt out "tap ins" when the other players are still walking to their putts. For example: you and I are walking up to our putts. Yours is close to the basket, while mine is past the basket....so you would reach yours first. You tap yours in while I'm still walking to my lie. I have no issue with that as I'm a firm believer in "ready golf" whenever possible. But I will state that to my group and if one person disagrees with "ready golf", I don't do it.

So he made the rule change himself. That's how all players should be doing it IMO.

Most always, the person putting out of turn is not doing so to facilitate the pace of play, but because they are impatient and too rude to take note of who is actually away.

I do not agree with "most always" but yes, sometimes that happens.

Most of the time this happens is because someone misses and would have to walk back behind someone to get out of their line of sight when its simpler to go tap out and begin towards the next tee.

Very subjective for sure. End of the day, if a player objects to someone throwing out of turn and then player does it anyway, this rule should never be enforced.

Alan Wagner cleared a few doink misses at the recent Huk Central video too, and IIRC it was late in the last round.

"To facilitate flow of play, a player who is not next may throw if the player who is next consents, or if throwing will not impact the player who is next."

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80202
I know that it's ok to do it with consent but it was the first time I noticed a player doing it so often. Not that he was interfering with another player ready to putt, just the I'll tap out quickly while you're getting ready so I'm done with that hole.

I know that it's ok to do it with consent but it was the first time I noticed a player doing it so often. Not that he was interfering with another player ready to putt, just the I'll tap out quickly while you're getting ready so I'm done with that hole.

This happened to me in a tourney once. I played well and alot of approaches ended up directly under the basket. I asked consent and cardmates agreed each time.

Then one got annoyed at his poor play and denied me after 5 consents. I could tell it was gamesmanship on his part so invoked pace of play and dropped in anyway. I wasn't going to let him throw off my momentum.

I ended up finishing well and nothing came of that situation.

I see that a fair bit, mostly in casual play and it is with "standing consent". If it's a tap in and it facilitates clearing the circle or if it's near side of the basket and the other further disc is far side, or if the other player has a tough lie or is still looking for a disc. Generally just the gimme putts that make sense.

Also putting out of turn after someone has 2 or 3 comeback misses, give em a break to regroup and let someone else putt.

Impatient idiots are a pain, why play in a group if you are just into yourself? I've run into a few of those that practically run up there in the way to hole out and then stand at the next pad encouraging you to hurry up

There should also be a rule something along the lines of

"Thou shalt watch thine shot no matter how crappy it is, if you turn your back your card mates are not obligated to help you find it"

Last edited:
This happened to me in a tourney once. I played well and alot of approaches ended up directly under the basket. I asked consent and cardmates agreed each time.

Then one got annoyed at his poor play and denied me after 5 consents. I could tell it was gamesmanship on his part so invoked pace of play and dropped in anyway. I wasn't going to let him throw off my momentum.

I ended up finishing well and nothing came of that situation.

SOP around here (in the Old Guy groups at least) is to establish at the beginning of the round that tap outs are cool and not have to repeatedly ask.

The human eyes and brain evolved to become really really good at recognizing and picking out human faces from the scenery. I assumed this is why I was taught to turn away if I was at least somewhat in the line of sight of someone putting.

The human eyes and brain evolved to become really really good at recognizing and picking out human faces from the scenery. I assumed this is why I was taught to turn away if I was at least somewhat in the line of sight of someone putting.

I think the brain senses danger when someone turns away and freezes. It creates tension in the environment and then translates to the putter. If you are in line of sight and the player is already in act of putting, then they have accepted that you are there. Don't try to change that.