• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why measure distance in feet?

If we are going to grow the sport we have to be thinking of the future. What's the most futuristic sounding measurement of length? Light years. 1.06317372 * 10^-14 is roughly 330 ft.

Anyone know why we use feet to measure distance in disc golf in the US?

I was thinking about the recent SC coverage and wished they would have said 130 yards instead of 390 feet. I think it would put things in perspective for people that don't know anything about the sport. "Wow 130 yards, that's a football field and 3 first downs away" versus "Wow 390 feet, that's a bunch of feet"

Because we are all already used to it... Merika!

People still use the metric system? Get with the times.

Elementary Watson.

IMHO, The measurement of feet gives comparable numbers to ball golf. I can drive a three hundred yards and I can throw a disc 300 feet. We may not like the comparison but our beloved game did develop out of ball golf.

Scale of distance is relative to the context of distance, and applying appropriate scale to real-world phenomena helps to model reality. In this case feet allows for a more accurate portayal of distance because of the smaller distances than ball golf, if we are comparing the two. Golf balls go farther, so a larger unit of measurement makes sense. Discs typically travel shorter disctances than balls (golf balls...), so a smaller unit of measurement makes sense.

And 'Murica!

...Golf balls go farther...

On average, that is.
Pretty sure Simon Lizotte has thrown a disc farther than I've ever driven a golf ball.

...unfortunately!
:(

..but otherwise: spot on!