• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why the Beato drill is so important.

HyzerUniBomber

* Ace Member *
I did the Beato drill when I was starting to try to learn to drive. It was hard, it felt strange, I didn't really learn to throw past 150' and I didn't fully grasp WHY this drill mattered.

If you're retooling / learning... I can't stress it enough: work the drill, I'd probably not have NEARLY the amount of issues to fix if I had stayed on it.

I know it sucks to toss a wounded duck... and to be honest, it's a little bit confusing the way Dan just RIIIPPPPS it from his chest, but when you're learning the drill, it's slow, slow, open, just getting the hand to actually guide the disc to the chest and end up on the outside with the elbow driven out front.

I think is much easier learning the beato drill on a 100' approach shot, where it's more about properly guiding the disc in, than shooting for big acceleration, that inevitably leads back to strong arming or early opening, both of which I struggle with still.

And here's the thing... the fractions of a second where your hand stays on the outside of the disc, they matter very much. By waiting with the hand on the outside to the latest spot you can, you're saying that your hand will have to travel further around the outside of the disc. And to go that distance in the same amount of time, your hand will have to speed up.

That's the funny thing about hand speed... it's the speed of the hand travelling about 10" - and coming in too fast to the start of that race might mean that you might lose all that race track!

Last edited:
Well, I think I know what I'm going back to now that I have 80 odd days before my next tournament. Back to the standstill!

I am so glad beto is getting noticed for his video. it was one of the first videos that truly helped.

you post some really good stuff HUB. I like how you make it simple and provide videos with your points. keep up the great work!

Nice job. You make some key points in there beside the obvious "pull late".

Keeping the hand on the outside of the disc as long as you can. I've found that I go even past the right pec. If I don't my elbow drops off and I roll my wrist sometimes or just go off plane.

Kind of similar to Mike C's one-step drill.

I've been retooling my form, mostly guided by your posts, so keep it up. It's frustrating now because I don't yet have it dialed in and feeling natural so I don't have the snap I did a couple months ago. But I know that with the things I was doing wrong (not enough hips, early pull, etc) that I was at the ceiling. When I get it right I know there's a lot more distance waiting for me.

I love how you mentioned the different styles. I had been trying to emulate the Will Schusterick style from his videos and my body just isn't going to move like that. You've got to find the style that works for you, but realize the key things that apply to everyone. Physics wins every time.

One thing you're touching on that is important for people to grasp is that you shouldn't be trying to throw the disc hard. You're mind shouldn't be focusing on pulling fast and ripping one because if that's your mindset you're going to lose focus on the small moment of acceleration that actually matters.

Thanks guys, I'm in the same boat as quite a few of you... I wanted to tap into that special thing that was completely illusive.

I'd watch my buddy throw, and it was happening so slow and then fast that I just couldn't understand it. Then I'd ask him to slow it down and of course he didn't really know HOW he was doing it... so I would go back to the field and work through the various components (hips, feet, blah blah blah).

I'd end up with a few huge putter shots and think that I'd found that special magic... but what was probably happening was that I was getting lucky and hitting the timing a little better, added with some bigger forces from those hips, etc, but I was still missing on the magic.

I think in my next blog post, I really want to figure out a way to plain-english explain that magic mechanism, which I don't really have a good idea what to call...

The best way I've thought of yet, seems to be that you have a dedicated end-point where you are releasing the disc (the release point). It's at a physical location out in front of you and I'm going to call it Release Station!

You gotta get off the train there at EXACTLY 1:00pm, because that's when your hand will be there.

The single most efficient means of creating hand speed, is to say "how far can I keep my hand away from Release Station, knowing that my hand WILL end up at the release point at 1:00?"

The longer you stay down the tracks a ways... let's say you're still out at "Hand on the Outside Bend" which is 10" from the station until 12:59:80 - that means the train is going to have to do about 100mph in that last 20 tenths of a second to get to the station on time.

That's why pulling up to "Hand on the Outside Bend" already doing 80mph, doesn't make any sense... you might blow past the station and end up 8" from the station, which means that the train doesn't have to accelerate to 100mph to get there on time.

It would only have to go 80mph to make it the shorter distance, which would suck, because we could have just rolled up the bend at 20mph and known we'd waited as long as possible and then exploded to the full 100mph to get there on time.

That's the best explanation I've thought of yet.

Any thoughts on if that makes sense or terms that would work to call that mechanism?

That's also why hand strength/grip is really important. If you manage to start the acceleration late and you're right at the last 3" before hitting the station, and you let go because the disc slips out - you might have only accelerated to 80mph because your train blew off the tracks.

Holding on with all that hand speed, multiplied by an opening wrist, means that disc is coming out like a rocket at the station - so find the balance to keep it on the tracks all the way until 1:00PM.

just semantics but it would be 12:59:59.80 and 20 "hundredths" (or 2 tenths) instead of 20 tenths. regardless, I'm really looking forward to your next videos.

just semantics but it would be 12:59:59.80 and 20 "hundredths" (or 2 tenths) instead of 20 tenths. regardless, I'm really looking forward to your next videos.

Thanks, no... I like to get the semantics right... I force my buddy kyle to proof read so I don't look like the idiot I really am.

That's why pulling up to "Hand on the Outside Bend" already doing 80mph, doesn't make any sense... you might blow past the station and end up 8" from the station, which means that the train doesn't have to accelerate to 100mph to get there on time.

That should be

That's why pulling up to "Hand on the Outside Bend" already doing 80mph, doesn't make any sense... you might blow past the bend and end up 8" from the station, which means that the train doesn't have to accelerate to 100mph to get there on time.

Thanks guys, I'm in the same boat as quite a few of you... I wanted to tap into that special thing that was completely illusive.

I'd watch my buddy throw, and it was happening so slow and then fast that I just couldn't understand it. Then I'd ask him to slow it down and of course he didn't really know HOW he was doing it... so I would go back to the field and work through the various components (hips, feet, blah blah blah).

I'd end up with a few huge putter shots and think that I'd found that special magic... but what was probably happening was that I was getting lucky and hitting the timing a little better, added with some bigger forces from those hips, etc, but I was still missing on the magic.

I think in my next blog post, I really want to figure out a way to plain-english explain that magic mechanism, which I don't really have a good idea what to call...

The best way I've thought of yet, seems to be that you have a dedicated end-point where you are releasing the disc (the release point). It's at a physical location out in front of you and I'm going to call it Release Station!

You gotta get off the train there at EXACTLY 1:00pm, because that's when your hand will be there.

The single most efficient means of creating hand speed, is to say "how far can I keep my hand away from Release Station, knowing that my hand WILL end up at the release point at 1:00?"

The longer you stay down the tracks a ways... let's say you're still out at "Hand on the Outside Bend" which is 10" from the station until 12:59:59.80 - that means the train is going to have to do about 100mph in that last 2 tenths of a second to get to the station on time.

That's why pulling up to "Hand on the Outside Bend" already doing 80mph, doesn't make any sense... you might blow past the bend and end up 8" from the station, which means that the train doesn't have to accelerate to 100mph to get there on time.

It would only have to go 80mph to make it the shorter distance, which would suck, because we could have just rolled up the bend at 20mph and known we'd waited as long as possible and then exploded to the full 100mph to get there on time.

That's also why hand strength/grip is really important. If you manage to start the acceleration late and you're right at the last 3" before hitting the station, and you let go because the disc slips out - you might have only accelerated to 80mph because your train blew off the tracks.

Holding on with all that hand speed, multiplied by an opening wrist, means that disc is coming out like a rocket at the station - so find the balance to keep it on the tracks all the way until 1:00PM.

That's the best explanation I've thought of yet.

Any thoughts on if that makes sense or terms that would work to call that mechanism?

The train analogy is a great one and easily understood. I'd stick with that. Always love reading your posts.

What is your clock referenced to? I don't "release" the disc until my pinch point is at about 4 o'clock on the disc with the front edge of the disc being 12 on the disc and being pointed at the target. The majority of the backswing and inward swing has my hand on about 9 o'clock of the disc until the elbow starts to extend to the outward swing.

Increasing late hand speed is often good(most non-half-hitters don't get enough), but ultimately you want the head end of the disc(hammer) to come around faster.

In a way grip strength does play a big part in big distance, but it's more in the pinch of the thumb than the fingers. I was surprised when I learned how many distance guys throw with a fan or pinchy grip.

I've tried this Blake T. drill through the Beato vid but it was difficult as others have experienced. I think it was because I was strong arming it from the get-go and not stopping the shoulders for a micro second to let it whip. I'm gonna try this again tonight and see what happens.