• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why use the metric system in disc golf?

gianetics

Birdie Member
i have been wondering if disc golf was invented in the US and now is branching off to other countries then why are we using the metric system? the 2 meter rule 10meter circle 30 cm behind the lie. furthermore why are almost all teesigns if feet?

and feel free to prerube

i do not know the official reason but i do know that the metric system is the international method. so if you want anything (or at least most things) to work overseas it needs to be metric. and of course we would like disc golf to be international.

as for my opinion on the metric vs english systems, i am still baffled as to why we english folk had to make something different in the first place.

Dan "Stork" Roddick was behind the adoption of the metric system for the PDGA rules when first published in book form in 1982. Several other Frisbee sports at the time were worldwide, bigger than disc golf and used the metric system for their rules. Hole length was not and still is not part of the rules so Americans used feet instead of meters for measurement. I am surprised that our early course designers didn't at least use yards same as ball golf which would put our lengths quite a bit closer to meters.

ruler_tie_metric_rules-p151440533063740282en71g_216.jpg

working with 10ths is wayyyy easier.

I think this...
the 10 meter circle
the 2 meter rule
the 30 cm lie

sounds better than this...
the 32.81 foot circle
the 6.562 foot rule
the 11.81 inch lie

and is easier to remember/measure.

i do not know the official reason but i do know that the metric system is the international method. so if you want anything (or at least most things) to work overseas it needs to be metric. and of course we would like disc golf to be international.

as for my opinion on the metric vs english systems, i am still baffled as to why we english folk had to make something different in the first place.

They didn't make something different. The standard or Imperial measurement system has gone all the way back to Egyptian and Roman times. Metric came much later, in 1668 (yes, I had to look up the date :p)

That said, the metric system is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. I wish America would just convert already.

it could have easily been:

the 30 or 35 foot rule

the 6 or 7 foot rule

the 12 inch rule

Of course, we could start a movement here to only talk in metric measurements for courses.

- Most of the non-US world uses the metric system. If we wish to expand disc golf abroad using a measurement system that most of the world uses would be a good idea.

- Coming up with English equivalents to the 2 meter rule (about 6.5 feet), 10 meter circle (about 33 feet) and 30 cm (about 1 foot) lie aren't that difficult.

- Grams make more sense than ounces when weighing discs, since they're smaller and we don't have to deal with decimals.

- The PDGA has no say in how a local parks department or designer measures holes. Going by the locally used standard makes the most sense. As far as I'm concerned though, feet work better than meters in measuring holes for the same reason grams work better than ounces on weighing discs. What gets me in a snit is when there are courses that have signage that use yards. WE ARE NOT BALL GOLF!!!

.....around that time there was a big push to convert the U.S. to metric. There were more dual signs, bank thermometers, etc. It made even more sense in that context.

The two times I've been involved hosting Worlds, the scorecards had both feet and meters indicated for hole lengths. That's about as far as I've gone so far with metric.

This is America! If I want to use meters I'll use a parking meter. Just playing I'm retarded at judging distance so it makes no difference to me.

The two times I've been involved hosting Worlds, the scorecards had both feet and meters indicated for hole lengths. That's about as far as I've gone so far with metric.

I thought all distances had to be measured in meters for worlds. It might have been a rumor, but I could have sworn that I heard we need to get new tee signs in Pittsburgh for worlds that list everything in meters.

That's all well and good, but are YOU really ready to talk about the weather in Celsius????

'Cause I'm not. :popcorn:

Latest posts