• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why use the metric system in disc golf?

Weather in °C is easy:

0°C is freezing
20-25°C is a warm spring day
10°C is Autumn
30°C is Summer
40°C is Summer in the South
50°C is Summer in west Texas

once you get below 0°C the conversion becomes increasingly 1:1. -20 is -20 for both (FU Cold or midwest winter).

Metric tee signs and distance visualization will take time but eventually it will be come second nature. I am in the "make the US use SI" camp.

.....around that time there was a big push to convert the U.S. to metric. There were more dual signs, bank thermometers, etc. It made even more sense in that context.

You still see relics of that time (70s/80s) in northern border states since Canada predominantly uses metric. Many of the signs on I-95 and other highways in northern Maine, for example, list kilometers as well as miles.

-40 is the same for both. -20 C is -4° F.

That's wild.
I learned something!
:hfive:

Can I go home now?

Are metric beer bottles labeled in mL?
Why is there no metric time system?
For distance, why are decimeters so neglected? We go from meters down to cm to mm.

Snot freezes in your nose around -15*C (4*F).

images

Now we know it was warmer than -15*C (4*F) when Aqualung was eyeing little girls with bad intent.

i have been wondering if disc golf was invented in the US and now is branching off to other countries then why are we using the metric system? the 2 meter rule 10meter circle 30 cm behind the lie. furthermore why are almost all teesigns if feet?

and feel free to prerube

Because the people that created disc golf were leftist, progressive, commie, scum, more than likely :D

I think this...
the 10 meter circle
the 2 meter rule
the 30 cm lie

sounds better than this...
the 32.81 foot circle
the 6.562 foot rule
the 11.81 inch lie

and is easier to remember/measure.

They would have adjusted the distances a bit if they'd not gone metric (30ft circle, 6 ft rule, 1 ft lie, and so on)

Why use the english system in the US!!!

2nd response of the thread and best one yet.

One day the U.S. will come around and start using metric in schools and phase out the archaic English system. Once they do, we'll all have to convert. They should have adopted the metric system many decades ago.

Weather in °C is easy:

0°C is freezing
20-25°C is a warm spring day
10°C is Autumn
30°C is Summer
40°C is Summer in the South
50°C is Summer in west Texas

once you get below 0°C the conversion becomes increasingly 1:1. -20 is -20 for both (FU Cold or midwest winter).

Metric tee signs and distance visualization will take time but eventually it will be come second nature. I am in the "make the US use SI" camp.

No, that is 122 degrees F. I lived in west Texas for two years and it never got above 110.

My thoughts on changing distances to meters is that meters is not precise enough and we would have to round off to decimal points to get a better idea of how really long the hole is. 100 meters is ~328.084 feet but if you were to convert 329, 330, and 331 feet into meters you would still get a number more than 100 but less then 101.

i have been wondering if disc golf was invented in the US and now is branching off to other countries then why are we using the metric system? the 2 meter rule 10meter circle 30 cm behind the lie. furthermore why are almost all teesigns if feet?

and feel free to prerube

If you want my opinion, it's due to the sport having started here in the states. Baseball is worldwide also and you don't see them using yards to measure how far the wall is do you?

Latest posts