• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WHY WORLDS

dbaledge

Par Member
I am curious as to why the worlds are in the middle of the season? Secondly why is the winner of worlds declared the "World Champion"? I understand its the name of the tournament but technically someone could win every single event all year and lose that and not be as well thought of as someone who wins one tournament. Or someone could lose every single event and win worlds and be the "world Champion". I think it should be a big finale rather than some tournament at the end of the year, it would carry more weight and be a more legit championship rather than just another tournament.

I am curious as to why the worlds are in the middle of the season? Secondly why is the winner of worlds declared the "World Champion"? I understand its the name of the tournament but technically someone could win every single event all year and lose that and not be as well thought of as someone who wins one tournament. Or someone could lose every single event and win worlds and be the "world Champion". I think it should be a big finale rather than some tournament at the end of the year, it would carry more weight and be a more legit championship rather than just another tournament.

Just curious, when's the last time someone won World's that you didn't think also had a top-notch season that year?

It seems pretty arbitrary to me too. Crowning the world champ for the year needs to be determined by much more than how someone plays 4-7 rounds. Going strictly on some sort of tour points wouldn't be that exciting, so maybe points then a playoff like Nascar. But you would need a really strong tour for that. Or we could get rid of it and just have majors like ball golf, but I know them disc manufacturers love putting world champs on discs, so they may not let that happen.

Just curious, when's the last time someone won World's that you didn't think also had a top-notch season that year?

Not saying that it has happened, i just can't think of another sport with a championship midway through the season. What if the super bowl was week 8, or the PGA championship was in July? Just doesn't make sense.

History. It evolved that way because at one time there weren't all that many events, and it was the biggest one. In summer because more people could schedule vacation, and it opens up more places in the country to bid to host it.

Apparently, at one time the points system ran from July - June, with Worlds afterwards, so like a few winter sports, it would be essentially a split-year champion: i.e.; Worlds could be in August 2017, and would be the 2016-2017 championship.

So history and tradition, and not enough compelling reasons to completely overhaul the system.

Not saying that it has happened, i just can't think of another sport with a championship midway through the season. What if the super bowl was week 8, or the PGA championship was in July? Just doesn't make sense.

No, but some other sports' most prestigious events are mid-season, or even early season. Some of which don't have championships at all, or their championships aren't as revered as those major events.

It seems pretty arbitrary to me too. Crowning the world champ for the year needs to be determined by much more than how someone plays 4-7 rounds. Going strictly on some sort of tour points wouldn't be that exciting, so maybe points then a playoff like Nascar. But you would need a really strong tour for that. Or we could get rid of it and have majors like ball golf, but I know them disc manufacturers love putting world champs on discs, so they may not let that happen.

I agree, like the PGA, NASCAR, soccer... etc. A points system into a play off would be better IMO, close races are more appealing, playoff ratings are much great for all sports.

History. It evolved that way because at one time there weren't all that many events, and it was the biggest one. In summer because more people could schedule vacation, and it opens up more places in the country to bid to host it.

Apparently, at one time the points system ran from July - June, with Worlds afterwards, so like a few winter sports, it would be essentially a split-year champion: i.e.; Worlds could be in August 2017, and would be the 2016-2017 championship.

So history and tradition, and not enough compelling reasons to completely overhaul the system.
Thanks for the perspective Dave! From a logical standpoint, the OP's question is valid.

In golf, tennis, and NASCAR, do they really ever crown someone a "World Champion?"
Don't they just track individuals' world rankings (or points, in the case of NASCAR) throughout the season, based on how they've finished in events for that season?

There's no perfect analogy, particularly involving very different sports.

In the meantime, disc golf has a National Tour Champion, crowned at the end of the year. And a U.S. Champion (with international players, and a play-in system). Not to mention a Points Champion, a Disc Golf Pro Tour Champion, a top money-winner, a highest-ranked player.....so our World Championship is mid-season.

Admittedly odd, but I can live with it.

In golf, tennis, and NASCAR, do they really ever crown someone a "World Champion?"
Don't they just track individuals' world rankings (or points, in the case of NASCAR) throughout the season, based on how they've finished in events for that season?

not sure about tennis, but most have a champion/ over all winner, the winner of the Fedex cup playoff is the over all season Champion, NASCAR has the Sprint CUP. What the title is isn't the point, I'm just trying to start the conversation as to why the Champion of the world is crowned with 3 months left in the disc golf "season". I think it would legitimize it a little bit to have an actual playoff and crown a champion at the end. We are talking about a sport that doesn't pay the person running and organizing these major tournaments though.

Especially with the new 2 course/4 round format, I can see the argument that Worlds is now just like a lot of other tournaments. I guess the biggest delineating factor is that it is The World Championships. As long as everyone cares about that title, then the field will always be stacked and fans will follow very closely. Which, in turn, means it is probably the most important tournament of the year. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edit: Sorry, kind of off topic. Although I do think that the World Champion title is still significant, even if it is awarded mid season.